MSTSC using Wireless Router - Wireless

This is a discussion on MSTSC using Wireless Router - Wireless ; have two laptops that are connected to internet via a wireless router The router ip is 192.168.1.1 The modem IP to which the router is connected in 192.168.1.81 The Ip exposed by the router are from range 10 o 100 ...

  1. MSTSC using Wireless Router

    have two laptops that are connected to internet via a wireless router

    The router ip is 192.168.1.1

    The modem IP to which the router is connected in 192.168.1.81

    The Ip exposed by the router are from range 10 o 100 (192.168.1.10 to
    192.168.1.100)

    The default gateway for both the laptops is 192.168.1.81

    The IP of Laptop1 is 192.168.1.12

    The IP of Laptop2 is 192.168.1.15

    The primary and secondry DNS are correctly set

    With the above settings I am able to connect to internet and browse sites.

    I want to do a remote desktop from Laptop1 to Laptop 2 on wireless.

    What changes are necessary in the above configuration to do so?

    I tried to change the default gateway of the two laptops by setting the ip
    of the router as common default gateway (from 192.168.1.81 to 192.168.1.1),
    but this stopped me from accessing the internet.

    I want to use MSTSC to connect to Laptop2 from Laptop1 using wireless.
    Please help.
    TIA

  2. Re: MSTSC using Wireless Router

    If the router is truly 192.168.1.81 then set the gateway on both laptops to
    that. Why change? You should then have internet access for each laptop, as
    you did before you changed the gateway address, and be able to access each
    laptop from the other by using its private LAN IP, ie. 192.168.1.12 or .15
    respectively.

    Note that you need Remote Desktop [RDC] enabled on the laptop you want to
    remotely control and if the laptop is running a software firewall then make
    sure you open TCP Port 3389. This presumes the RDC host PC is running Vista
    Ultimate/Business or XP Pro/MCE. Other versions on Windows can not act as a
    RDC host.

    Also note some wireless routers can be configured to allow or not allow
    direct network access between wireless clients. Make sure the wireless
    router is configured so wireless clients can access each other.

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows – Desktop User Experience)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...
    How to ask a question
    http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

    "Jay010" wrote in message
    > have two laptops that are connected to internet via a wireless router
    >
    > The router ip is 192.168.1.1
    >
    > The modem IP to which the router is connected in 192.168.1.81
    >
    > The Ip exposed by the router are from range 10 o 100 (192.168.1.10 to
    > 192.168.1.100)
    >
    > The default gateway for both the laptops is 192.168.1.81
    >
    > The IP of Laptop1 is 192.168.1.12
    >
    > The IP of Laptop2 is 192.168.1.15
    >
    > The primary and secondry DNS are correctly set
    >
    > With the above settings I am able to connect to internet and browse sites.
    >
    > I want to do a remote desktop from Laptop1 to Laptop 2 on wireless.
    >
    > What changes are necessary in the above configuration to do so?
    >
    > I tried to change the default gateway of the two laptops by setting the ip
    > of the router as common default gateway (from 192.168.1.81 to
    > 192.168.1.1),
    > but this stopped me from accessing the internet.
    >

    > I want to use MSTSC to connect to Laptop2 from Laptop1 using wireless.
    > Please help.
    > TIA

  3. Re: MSTSC using Wireless Router

    Sooner Al [MVP] wrote:
    > If the router is truly 192.168.1.81 then set the gateway on both laptops
    > to that. Why change? You should then have internet access for each
    > laptop, as you did before you changed the gateway address, and be able
    > to access each laptop from the other by using its private LAN IP, ie.
    > 192.168.1.12 or .15 respectively.
    >
    > Note that you need Remote Desktop [RDC] enabled on the laptop you want
    > to remotely control and if the laptop is running a software firewall
    > then make sure you open TCP Port 3389. This presumes the RDC host PC is
    > running Vista Ultimate/Business or XP Pro/MCE. Other versions on Windows
    > can not act as a RDC host.
    >
    > Also note some wireless routers can be configured to allow or not allow
    > direct network access between wireless clients. Make sure the wireless
    > router is configured so wireless clients can access each other.

    Once you get it working, here is a hint:
    If your router is DHCP like most are, when you reboot all your hardware
    there is a possibility the assignment of IP's will change. You stated
    the range is 10 to 100. Well tomorrow the machines could be .19 and
    ..22. If this is not an issue then you're fine, but you might look
    into making your IPs static. It makes it so much easier to always know
    that laptop1 = 12. Some routers allow you to table the MAC address to
    an IP address, meaning the next time that wired or wireless device
    connects, you will be assigned the same IP.

    But again, this is just the icing on the cake.

  4. Re: MSTSC using Wireless Router

    Or just RDP to it by its NetBIOS name. Much easier.

    Gregg Hill

    "Big_Al" wrote in message
    > Sooner Al [MVP] wrote:
    >> If the router is truly 192.168.1.81 then set the gateway on both laptops
    >> to that. Why change? You should then have internet access for each
    >> laptop, as you did before you changed the gateway address, and be able to
    >> access each laptop from the other by using its private LAN IP, ie.
    >> 192.168.1.12 or .15 respectively.
    >>
    >> Note that you need Remote Desktop [RDC] enabled on the laptop you want to
    >> remotely control and if the laptop is running a software firewall then
    >> make sure you open TCP Port 3389. This presumes the RDC host PC is
    >> running Vista Ultimate/Business or XP Pro/MCE. Other versions on Windows
    >> can not act as a RDC host.
    >>
    >> Also note some wireless routers can be configured to allow or not allow
    >> direct network access between wireless clients. Make sure the wireless
    >> router is configured so wireless clients can access each other.
    >>

    > Once you get it working, here is a hint:
    > If your router is DHCP like most are, when you reboot all your hardware
    > there is a possibility the assignment of IP's will change. You stated the
    > range is 10 to 100. Well tomorrow the machines could be .19 and .22.
    > If this is not an issue then you're fine, but you might look into making
    > your IPs static. It makes it so much easier to always know that laptop1 =
    > 12. Some routers allow you to table the MAC address to an IP address,
    > meaning the next time that wired or wireless device connects, you will be
    > assigned the same IP.
    >
    > But again, this is just the icing on the cake.

+ Reply to Thread