File sharing between XP and Vista - Wireless

This is a discussion on File sharing between XP and Vista - Wireless ; I have a HP desktop running XP Home and I have a Dell laptop running Vista Home. I am having difficulty setting up my file sharing. I am unclear about the Firewall port changing in Windows Firewall. I run Symantec ...

  1. File sharing between XP and Vista

    I have a HP desktop running XP Home and I have a Dell laptop running Vista
    Home. I am having difficulty setting up my file sharing. I am unclear
    about the Firewall port changing in Windows Firewall. I run Symantec
    Firewall protection.

  2. Re: File sharing between XP and Vista

    Hello, If you haven't already I suggest you review this TechNet article.

    Eric Cross
    Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience)
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    "mjt" wrote in message
    >I have a HP desktop running XP Home and I have a Dell laptop running Vista
    > Home. I am having difficulty setting up my file sharing. I am unclear
    > about the Firewall port changing in Windows Firewall. I run Symantec
    > Firewall protection.

  3. Re: File sharing between XP and Vista

    Hi
    Maybe this can Help, How I set my software Firewall to allow free traffic
    between my Network’s computers.
    http://www.ezlan.net/faq#trusted
    In general.
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    allowed to be shared.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Windows XP File Sharing -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "mjt" wrote in message
    >I have a HP desktop running XP Home and I have a Dell laptop running Vista
    > Home. I am having difficulty setting up my file sharing. I am unclear
    > about the Firewall port changing in Windows Firewall. I run Symantec
    > Firewall protection.

  4. Re: File sharing between XP and Vista

    Thanks Eric, I am one step closer to accomplishing this. I am able to view
    by Desktop files from my Laptop, but I still have to get it where I can view
    my laptop files from my desktop. I ran out of time last night so I will pick
    it back up over the weekend and see if I can set that up, if I have more
    troubles I will be in touch.

    Myra(mjt)

    "Eric Cross" wrote:

    > Hello, If you haven't already I suggest you review this TechNet article.

    > --
    > Eric Cross
    > Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience)
    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    >

    > "mjt" wrote in message
    > >I have a HP desktop running XP Home and I have a Dell laptop running Vista
    > > Home. I am having difficulty setting up my file sharing. I am unclear
    > > about the Firewall port changing in Windows Firewall. I run Symantec
    > > Firewall protection.

  5. Re: File sharing between XP and Vista

    Thanks Jack, I am one step closer to accomplishing this. I am able to view

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > Maybe this can Help, How I set my software Firewall to allow free traffic
    > between my Network’s computers.
    > http://www.ezlan.net/faq#trusted
    > In general.
    > http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    > allowed to be shared.
    > Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    > Windows XP File Sharing -
    > Printer Sharing XP -
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >

    > "mjt" wrote in message
    > >I have a HP desktop running XP Home and I have a Dell laptop running Vista
    > > Home. I am having difficulty setting up my file sharing. I am unclear
    > > about the Firewall port changing in Windows Firewall. I run Symantec
    > > Firewall protection.

  6. Re: File sharing between XP and Vista

    mjt;9209094 Wrote:
    > I have a HP desktop running XP Home and I have a Dell laptop running
    > Vista
    > Home. I am having difficulty setting up my file sharing. I am
    > unclear
    > about the Firewall port changing in Windows Firewall. I run Symantec
    > Firewall protection.

    I would pump Vista on both systems to make it easier to share.

    --
    avatar700
    avatar700's Profile: http://nettechguide.com/forums/member.php?u=109

+ Reply to Thread