WPS WiFi w. Vista on Intel 4965AGN - Wireless

This is a discussion on WPS WiFi w. Vista on Intel 4965AGN - Wireless ; Two developments. Airlink CS is telling me that the manuals are wrong. Both router and adapter manuals show that security, meaning WPA, etc, normal manual setups are turned off when using WPS. That is what I have been doing. CS ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 22 of 22

  1. Re: WPS WiFi w. Vista on Intel 4965AGN

    Two developments.

    Airlink CS is telling me that the manuals are wrong. Both router and
    adapter manuals show that security, meaning WPA, etc, normal manual
    setups are turned off when using WPS. That is what I have been doing. CS
    now says that the checkbox in the GUI for the manual security has to be
    on. Grrr!

    Their exact words: "Yes; [manual] security needs to be enabled for a
    secure connection however WPS is just an easy way to connect your two
    airlink devices together and nothing more. It does not provide security."

    So, this is why I was able to see an open connection at the same time as
    I thought there was a secure connection using WPS. The request for a PIN
    must have been thrown away. I have another query to CS for clarification.

    My experiments enabling manual WPA with a security word yielded correct
    results in that only the Airlink adapter was able to make a secure
    connection. The Intel adapter was still unable to establish a secure
    connection or an open connection while manual security was checked in
    the router GUI.

    At this point, I don't see much utility in WPS. It uses an 8 character
    PIN and that's it unless you make your own, then it's the same as
    WPA/etc manual. Each adapter using WPS has it's own unique PIN if you
    choose that method. That might give some advantage; don't know. The CS
    comment that WPS is just an easy way to connect makes sense in the
    Airlink context, I guess. It takes a little bit more reading in the
    manual to set up an manual secure connection, but after doing it, I
    think it is actually easier to do the manual method.

    I'm going to pursue the manual method from here on. Unless the final N
    spec gives some advantage to the WPS. The connection problem with Intel
    looks like a compatibility issue between vendors. I'll pursue that with
    Airlink CS some more maybe. There's some more experiments I can do to
    check that out.

    Thanks for the help.

    Dave

    dbird wrote:
    > Hi Guys:
    >
    > Well, I have been in correspondence with Airlink's cust service. I have
    > been running some experiments which indicate that something is very
    > peculiar.
    >
    > The router manual says once a WPS connection is made, all additional
    > connections must be WPS also. CS verified that this is true. But, I made
    > an experiment where I established a WPS connection with pc1 which has an
    > Airlink adapter, then made an open connection with pc2 which has the
    > Intel adapter. There is no way for sure to tell if the first connection
    > drops it's security because the Airlink s/w does not show security
    > status for a non-broadcasted SSID connected with WPS, but it's for sure
    > that the second connection is completely open. Now, I've communicated
    > the details of all this to Airlink CS. They won't get back to me 'till
    > next week, so we'll see what they say.
    >
    > In the meantime, I will explore straight forward connections using WPA
    > and a security word to see if the same thing happens. Fun, fun, fun. :-(
    >
    > Thanks for the help. I'll post the results so the world will know just
    > in case anyone's interested.
    >
    > Dave

  2. Re: WPS WiFi w. Vista on Intel 4965AGN

    so (in theory) WCN in Vista + an update available only from vendors
    (Wireless Feature Pack for Windows) + USB flash key makes the whole
    thing easy. (altho with Intel, for N, best to use WPA2).

    1. with the update above, you can set up a new connection over
    wireless with the PIN number from the router. then

    2. on the computer you are using to set this up, you insert the USB
    flash key and save the settings. then

    3. you plug the flash key into other Vista computers you want to
    join that new wireless network.

    some of this push button stuff is still pretty bleeding edge..

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

+ Reply to Thread