Wireless inactivity - what to look for - Wireless

This is a discussion on Wireless inactivity - what to look for - Wireless ; On a home WiFi network that works perfectly for all PCs connected to it: One particular laptop connects with no problems at all; however, both IE7 and Firefox3 will stop loading pages for upto a minute at a time, for ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Wireless inactivity - what to look for

  1. Wireless inactivity - what to look for

    On a home WiFi network that works perfectly for all PCs connected to it:
    One particular laptop connects with no problems at all; however, both IE7
    and Firefox3 will stop loading pages for upto a minute at a time, for no
    apparent reason.
    The connection is not lost - but the tray icons shows no traffic.
    The browsers, or OE6, do not freeze. Downloads 'pause' periodically.
    All network settings are identical to other units used.Others have no such
    issue.
    We tried swapping the PCMCIA WiFi card but still the issue persists. Also
    deleted the networking connection and created a new one. No go.
    Other than this quirk, there are no other problems. Unit works fine if
    connected to router with Cat5 cable. Wireless-G is used all around.
    Windows XP SP2 installation has been checked out with no issues.
    Any ideas of where and what to look for possible causes would be greatly
    appreciated.
    Regards and TIA.
    Alpha
    ------










  2. Re: Wireless inactivity - what to look for

    what brand, model, hardware rev wireless router? do you have the
    latest firmware? do you have the latest drivers for the wireless
    cards? what is your wireless router connected to?

    On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 10:06:12 -0700, "Alpha"
    wrote:

    >On a home WiFi network that works perfectly for all PCs connected to it:
    >One particular laptop connects with no problems at all; however, both IE7
    >and Firefox3 will stop loading pages for upto a minute at a time, for no
    >apparent reason.
    >The connection is not lost - but the tray icons shows no traffic.
    >The browsers, or OE6, do not freeze. Downloads 'pause' periodically.
    >All network settings are identical to other units used.Others have no such
    >issue.
    >We tried swapping the PCMCIA WiFi card but still the issue persists. Also
    >deleted the networking connection and created a new one. No go.
    >Other than this quirk, there are no other problems. Unit works fine if
    >connected to router with Cat5 cable. Wireless-G is used all around.
    >Windows XP SP2 installation has been checked out with no issues.
    >Any ideas of where and what to look for possible causes would be greatly
    >appreciated.
    >Regards and TIA.
    >Alpha
    >------
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
    http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
    http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

  3. Re: Wireless inactivity - what to look for

    Hi
    When you say connection Not lost, did you check whether there is actually
    valid IP?
    In general.
    My Wireless does not work - http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    Wireless Basic Configuration - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
    Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    "Alpha" wrote in message
    news:%23UG9CzwJJHA.456@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
    > On a home WiFi network that works perfectly for all PCs connected to it:
    > One particular laptop connects with no problems at all; however, both IE7
    > and Firefox3 will stop loading pages for upto a minute at a time, for no
    > apparent reason.
    > The connection is not lost - but the tray icons shows no traffic.
    > The browsers, or OE6, do not freeze. Downloads 'pause' periodically.
    > All network settings are identical to other units used.Others have no such
    > issue.
    > We tried swapping the PCMCIA WiFi card but still the issue persists. Also
    > deleted the networking connection and created a new one. No go.
    > Other than this quirk, there are no other problems. Unit works fine if
    > connected to router with Cat5 cable. Wireless-G is used all around.
    > Windows XP SP2 installation has been checked out with no issues.
    > Any ideas of where and what to look for possible causes would be greatly
    > appreciated.
    > Regards and TIA.
    > Alpha
    > ------
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >



  4. Re: Wireless inactivity - what to look for

    "Barb Bowman" wrote in message
    news:292ie4d53gfaikmmv92mbq7qgb8chl09sc@4ax.com...
    > what brand, model, hardware rev wireless router? do you have the
    > latest firmware? do you have the latest drivers for the wireless
    > cards? what is your wireless router connected to?


    Router is a Netgear WR45G (DD-WRT) model and is connected to a residential
    DSL connection. We believe the router firmware and the drivers on all WiFi
    cards used are the latest available.


    > On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 10:06:12 -0700, "Alpha"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On a home WiFi network that works perfectly for all PCs connected to it:
    >>One particular laptop connects with no problems at all; however, both IE7
    >>and Firefox3 will stop loading pages for upto a minute at a time, for no
    >>apparent reason.
    >>The connection is not lost - but the tray icons shows no traffic.
    >>The browsers, or OE6, do not freeze. Downloads 'pause' periodically.
    >>All network settings are identical to other units used.Others have no such
    >>issue.
    >>We tried swapping the PCMCIA WiFi card but still the issue persists. Also
    >>deleted the networking connection and created a new one. No go.
    >>Other than this quirk, there are no other problems. Unit works fine if
    >>connected to router with Cat5 cable. Wireless-G is used all around.
    >>Windows XP SP2 installation has been checked out with no issues.
    >>Any ideas of where and what to look for possible causes would be greatly
    >>appreciated.
    >>Regards and TIA.
    >>Alpha
    >>------
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS-MVP
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
    > http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
    > http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com






  5. Re: Wireless inactivity - what to look for

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote in message
    news:u8wRpG2JJHA.1156@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
    > Hi
    > When you say connection Not lost, did you check whether there is actually
    > valid IP?



    Yes, the IP as assigned by DHCP is valid and the connection works perfectly.
    Except there are these unexplained pauses from time to time. Other computers
    here have no such issue when connected to this wireless network.
    Also, as said earlier, this laptop too has no such pauses when connected
    directly by CAT5 cable to the same router.
    Event Viewer does not report anything either.
    We have been advised locally to do a "repair of the TCP/IP" and a utility
    has already been downloaded for that purpose. Will try it later after
    imaging the current installation - in case something goes awry. :-)
    Thanks for the very informative links - we've bookmarked them for reference.



    > In general.
    > My Wireless does not work - http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    > Wireless Basic Configuration - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
    > Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >
    > "Alpha" wrote in message
    > news:%23UG9CzwJJHA.456@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
    >> On a home WiFi network that works perfectly for all PCs connected to it:
    >> One particular laptop connects with no problems at all; however, both IE7
    >> and Firefox3 will stop loading pages for upto a minute at a time, for no
    >> apparent reason.
    >> The connection is not lost - but the tray icons shows no traffic.
    >> The browsers, or OE6, do not freeze. Downloads 'pause' periodically.
    >> All network settings are identical to other units used.Others have no
    >> such
    >> issue.
    >> We tried swapping the PCMCIA WiFi card but still the issue persists. Also
    >> deleted the networking connection and created a new one. No go.
    >> Other than this quirk, there are no other problems. Unit works fine if
    >> connected to router with Cat5 cable. Wireless-G is used all around.
    >> Windows XP SP2 installation has been checked out with no issues.
    >> Any ideas of where and what to look for possible causes would be greatly
    >> appreciated.
    >> Regards and TIA.
    >> Alpha
    >> ------
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>

    >




  6. Re: Wireless inactivity - what to look for

    can you check event viewer for entries around the time you've
    experienced issues? looking for DHCP events, networking events, etc.

    On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 06:00:04 -0700, "Alpha"
    wrote:

    >
    >Router is a Netgear WR45G (DD-WRT) model and is connected to a residential
    >DSL connection. We believe the router firmware and the drivers on all WiFi
    >cards used are the latest available.
    >
    >
    >> On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 10:06:12 -0700, "Alpha"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>On a home WiFi network that works perfectly for all PCs connected to it:
    >>>One particular laptop connects with no problems at all; however, both IE7
    >>>and Firefox3 will stop loading pages for upto a minute at a time, for no
    >>>apparent reason.
    >>>The connection is not lost - but the tray icons shows no traffic.
    >>>The browsers, or OE6, do not freeze. Downloads 'pause' periodically.
    >>>All network settings are identical to other units used.Others have no such
    >>>issue.
    >>>We tried swapping the PCMCIA WiFi card but still the issue persists. Also
    >>>deleted the networking connection and created a new one. No go.
    >>>Other than this quirk, there are no other problems. Unit works fine if
    >>>connected to router with Cat5 cable. Wireless-G is used all around.
    >>>Windows XP SP2 installation has been checked out with no issues.
    >>>Any ideas of where and what to look for possible causes would be greatly
    >>>appreciated.
    >>>Regards and TIA.
    >>>Alpha

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
    http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
    http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

  7. Re: Wireless inactivity - what to look for

    "Barb Bowman" wrote in message
    news:9n6me4d2kve5bsf0logvb0k2mfu2qj8f0o@4ax.com...
    > can you check event viewer for entries around the time you've
    > experienced issues? looking for DHCP events, networking events, etc.



    Thanks for the response. We already looked (sorry not to have mentioned this
    earlier) - but there are absolutely no networking entries other that the
    standard -
    "The system detected that network adapter NETGEAR 108 Mbps Wireless PC Card
    WG511T was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation
    over the network adapter."
    Incidentally, there was actually the "pause" again even while your message
    was being downloaded for display in the reading pane of OE6. Very
    inexplicable!
    We have just a few machines here and sometimes we come across certain issues
    that really mystify a lot of our ageing minds!




    > On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 06:00:04 -0700, "Alpha"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>Router is a Netgear WR45G (DD-WRT) model and is connected to a residential
    >>DSL connection. We believe the router firmware and the drivers on all WiFi
    >>cards used are the latest available.
    >>
    >>
    >>> On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 10:06:12 -0700, "Alpha"
    >>> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>On a home WiFi network that works perfectly for all PCs connected to it:
    >>>>One particular laptop connects with no problems at all; however, both
    >>>>IE7
    >>>>and Firefox3 will stop loading pages for upto a minute at a time, for no
    >>>>apparent reason.
    >>>>The connection is not lost - but the tray icons shows no traffic.
    >>>>The browsers, or OE6, do not freeze. Downloads 'pause' periodically.
    >>>>All network settings are identical to other units used.Others have no
    >>>>such
    >>>>issue.
    >>>>We tried swapping the PCMCIA WiFi card but still the issue persists.
    >>>>Also
    >>>>deleted the networking connection and created a new one. No go.
    >>>>Other than this quirk, there are no other problems. Unit works fine if
    >>>>connected to router with Cat5 cable. Wireless-G is used all around.
    >>>>Windows XP SP2 installation has been checked out with no issues.
    >>>>Any ideas of where and what to look for possible causes would be greatly
    >>>>appreciated.
    >>>>Regards and TIA.
    >>>>Alpha

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS-MVP
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
    > http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
    > http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com













  8. Re: Wireless inactivity - what to look for

    is the router set to G only mode or mixed b/g?

    On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 08:33:16 -0700, "Alpha"
    wrote:

    >"Barb Bowman" wrote in message
    >news:9n6me4d2kve5bsf0logvb0k2mfu2qj8f0o@4ax.com...
    >> can you check event viewer for entries around the time you've
    >> experienced issues? looking for DHCP events, networking events, etc.

    >
    >
    >Thanks for the response. We already looked (sorry not to have mentioned this
    >earlier) - but there are absolutely no networking entries other that the
    >standard -
    >"The system detected that network adapter NETGEAR 108 Mbps Wireless PC Card
    >WG511T was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation
    >over the network adapter."
    >Incidentally, there was actually the "pause" again even while your message
    >was being downloaded for display in the reading pane of OE6. Very
    >inexplicable!
    >We have just a few machines here and sometimes we come across certain issues
    >that really mystify a lot of our ageing minds!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >> On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 06:00:04 -0700, "Alpha"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>
    >>>Router is a Netgear WR45G (DD-WRT) model and is connected to a residential
    >>>DSL connection. We believe the router firmware and the drivers on all WiFi
    >>>cards used are the latest available.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 10:06:12 -0700, "Alpha"
    >>>> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>>On a home WiFi network that works perfectly for all PCs connected to it:
    >>>>>One particular laptop connects with no problems at all; however, both
    >>>>>IE7
    >>>>>and Firefox3 will stop loading pages for upto a minute at a time, for no
    >>>>>apparent reason.
    >>>>>The connection is not lost - but the tray icons shows no traffic.
    >>>>>The browsers, or OE6, do not freeze. Downloads 'pause' periodically.
    >>>>>All network settings are identical to other units used.Others have no
    >>>>>such
    >>>>>issue.
    >>>>>We tried swapping the PCMCIA WiFi card but still the issue persists.
    >>>>>Also
    >>>>>deleted the networking connection and created a new one. No go.
    >>>>>Other than this quirk, there are no other problems. Unit works fine if
    >>>>>connected to router with Cat5 cable. Wireless-G is used all around.
    >>>>>Windows XP SP2 installation has been checked out with no issues.
    >>>>>Any ideas of where and what to look for possible causes would be greatly
    >>>>>appreciated.
    >>>>>Regards and TIA.
    >>>>>Alpha

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS-MVP
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
    >> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
    >> http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
    http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
    http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

+ Reply to Thread