How to force multiple computers connect to the same AP all the time - Wireless

This is a discussion on How to force multiple computers connect to the same AP all the time - Wireless ; Hello, I have one printer connecting to a computer and it is shared with additional 4 computers in a wireless network. There are several APs that each computer can establish its connection to go out to the Internet. When they ...

  1. How to force multiple computers connect to the same AP all the time

    Hello,

    I have one printer connecting to a computer and it is shared with additional
    4 computers in a wireless network. There are several APs that each computer
    can establish its connection to go out to the Internet. When they are not
    connecting to the same AP, they would be on different subnet; thus, they
    could not see the shared printer.

    How can I set/force all 5 computers to connect to the same AP all the time?

    Thanks.

    Bussarin V.

  2. Re: How to force multiple computers connect to the same AP all the time

    Hi
    You did not mentioned any details on OS and what is used to mange the
    Wireless.
    In general, clean the preferred Wireless list, leave only the SSID of the AP
    that you want to use.
    Uncheck the connect to any Network.
    http://www.ezlan.net/wireless/wzc3.jpg
    You can also check the original Utility of the Wireless manufacturer. Some
    of them have entries to force a connection to one specific SSID.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    "Bussarin" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have one printer connecting to a computer and it is shared with
    > additional 4 computers in a wireless network. There are several APs that
    > each computer can establish its connection to go out to the Internet.
    > When they are not connecting to the same AP, they would be on different
    > subnet; thus, they could not see the shared printer.
    >
    > How can I set/force all 5 computers to connect to the same AP all the
    > time?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Bussarin V.

  3. Re: How to force multiple computers connect to the same AP all the time

    Jack,

    They are all Windows XP Pro and using the Windows Wireless Utility. I'll
    try what you've suggested and will post the result back next Friday.

    Thank you very much. Really appreciate your prompt reply.

    Bussarin V.

    > Hi
    > You did not mentioned any details on OS and what is used to mange the
    > Wireless.
    > In general, clean the preferred Wireless list, leave only the SSID of the
    > AP that you want to use.
    > Uncheck the connect to any Network.
    > http://www.ezlan.net/wireless/wzc3.jpg
    > You can also check the original Utility of the Wireless manufacturer. Some
    > of them have entries to force a connection to one specific SSID.
    > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >
    > "Bussarin" wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I have one printer connecting to a computer and it is shared with
    >> additional 4 computers in a wireless network. There are several APs that
    >> each computer can establish its connection to go out to the Internet.
    >> When they are not connecting to the same AP, they would be on different
    >> subnet; thus, they could not see the shared printer.
    >>
    >> How can I set/force all 5 computers to connect to the same AP all the
    >> time?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> Bussarin V.

  4. Re: How to force multiple computers connect to the same AP all the time

    Hello,

    Just have a chance to go and change the wireless settings to connect to the
    specified Access Point. It works. However, some computers still could not
    print and could not see other computers in the same workgroup.

    Bussarin V.

    "Bussarin" wrote in message
    > Jack,
    >
    > They are all Windows XP Pro and using the Windows Wireless Utility. I'll
    > try what you've suggested and will post the result back next Friday.
    >
    > Thank you very much. Really appreciate your prompt reply.
    >
    > Bussarin V.
    >
    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >> You did not mentioned any details on OS and what is used to mange the
    >> Wireless.
    >> In general, clean the preferred Wireless list, leave only the SSID of the
    >> AP that you want to use.
    >> Uncheck the connect to any Network.
    >> http://www.ezlan.net/wireless/wzc3.jpg
    >> You can also check the original Utility of the Wireless manufacturer.
    >> Some of them have entries to force a connection to one specific SSID.
    >> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >>
    >> "Bussarin" wrote in message
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I have one printer connecting to a computer and it is shared with
    >>> additional 4 computers in a wireless network. There are several APs
    >>> that each computer can establish its connection to go out to the
    >>> Internet. When they are not connecting to the same AP, they would be on
    >>> different subnet; thus, they could not see the shared printer.
    >>>
    >>> How can I set/force all 5 computers to connect to the same AP all the
    >>> time?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>
    >>> Bussarin V.

+ Reply to Thread