How do I set up a laptop to use on my wireless connection - Wireless

This is a discussion on How do I set up a laptop to use on my wireless connection - Wireless ; I don't even know if this is possible to do- my knowledge is very limited in this area. I have a desktop pc, and a notebook which is already set up to use my wireless connection (Linksys router) (I didn't ...

  1. How do I set up a laptop to use on my wireless connection

    I don't even know if this is possible to do- my knowledge is very limited in
    this area. I have a desktop pc, and a notebook which is already set up to
    use my wireless connection (Linksys router) (I didn't set it up) I have XP on
    both. Out of town company is coming to town and would like to be able to use
    his pc notebook (Vista) with my wireless connection. Googling for
    information, I found: "use an ethernet cable connected to the lan (???) and
    then to his pc." Is that it? Sounds too easy. Will he have to do
    'anything' on his pc, or does he need anything special on his pc? If
    someone can tell me step by step what I would need to do beyond purchasing
    this ethernet cable, I would appreciate it, and won't appear to be as stupid
    as I feel right now when he comes in town.

  2. Re: How do I set up a laptop to use on my wireless connection

    computerchallengedcc wrote:
    > I don't even know if this is possible to do- my knowledge is very limited in
    > this area. I have a desktop pc, and a notebook which is already set up to
    > use my wireless connection (Linksys router) (I didn't set it up) I have XP on
    > both. Out of town company is coming to town and would like to be able to use
    > his pc notebook (Vista) with my wireless connection. Googling for
    > information, I found: "use an ethernet cable connected to the lan (???) and
    > then to his pc." Is that it? Sounds too easy. Will he have to do
    > 'anything' on his pc, or does he need anything special on his pc? If
    > someone can tell me step by step what I would need to do beyond purchasing
    > this ethernet cable, I would appreciate it, and won't appear to be as stupid
    > as I feel right now when he comes in town.

    Just like your desktop, you hook it up via cable and the router assigns
    it an IP address. He should have no more problem than you do.

    DHCP (this is what your router uses) is a normal method of getting an IP
    address, or is fast becoming the standard. Their notebook should be
    setup DHCP if it isn't. Odds are it is.

    If they want to use your wireless, then you have to give them the SSID
    and passkey to get past the security. Its the same you put in your
    notebook.

  3. Re: How do I set up a laptop to use on my wireless connection

    Fast becoming the standard? Where are you, in the 1980's?

    --

    ----
    Help Us Help You http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm

    "Big_Al" wrote in message

    > DHCP (this is what your router uses) is a normal method of getting an IP
    > address, or is fast becoming the standard. Their notebook should be
    > setup DHCP if it isn't. Odds are it is.

  4. Re: How do I set up a laptop to use on my wireless connection

    Hi
    It depends on how your Router and his computer are configured.
    If his computer set to regular default Wireless use, and your Wireless is
    set at the Router’s default with passphrase security, then his computer
    should detect your Wireless Router, type your passphrase onto his computer
    and get connected.
    Otherwise get yourself educated with the topic coz the number of possible
    iteration for configuration is too big to start guessing.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    "computerchallengedcc"
    wrote in message news:90CCBBCA-8B4E-4B2B-BCA4-8D57E70261CA@microsoft.com...
    >I don't even know if this is possible to do- my knowledge is very limited
    >in
    > this area. I have a desktop pc, and a notebook which is already set up to
    > use my wireless connection (Linksys router) (I didn't set it up) I have XP
    > on
    > both. Out of town company is coming to town and would like to be able to
    > use
    > his pc notebook (Vista) with my wireless connection. Googling for
    > information, I found: "use an ethernet cable connected to the lan (???)
    > and
    > then to his pc." Is that it? Sounds too easy. Will he have to do
    > 'anything' on his pc, or does he need anything special on his pc? If
    > someone can tell me step by step what I would need to do beyond purchasing
    > this ethernet cable, I would appreciate it, and won't appear to be as
    > stupid
    > as I feel right now when he comes in town.

  5. Re: How do I set up a laptop to use on my wireless connection

    David B. wrote:
    > Fast becoming the standard? Where are you, in the 1980's?

    I hate making absolute statements. But you're right.

  6. Re: How do I set up a laptop to use on my wireless connection

    Thank you all very muuch for your help.

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > It depends on how your Router and his computer are configured.
    > If his computer set to regular default Wireless use, and your Wireless is
    > set at the Router’s default with passphrase security, then his computer
    > should detect your Wireless Router, type your passphrase onto his computer
    > and get connected.
    > Otherwise get yourself educated with the topic coz the number of possible
    > iteration for configuration is too big to start guessing.
    > Wireless Basic Configuration - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
    > My Wireless does not work - http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >
    > "computerchallengedcc"
    > wrote in message news:90CCBBCA-8B4E-4B2B-BCA4-8D57E70261CA@microsoft.com...
    > >I don't even know if this is possible to do- my knowledge is very limited
    > >in
    > > this area. I have a desktop pc, and a notebook which is already set up to
    > > use my wireless connection (Linksys router) (I didn't set it up) I have XP
    > > on
    > > both. Out of town company is coming to town and would like to be able to
    > > use
    > > his pc notebook (Vista) with my wireless connection. Googling for
    > > information, I found: "use an ethernet cable connected to the lan (???)
    > > and
    > > then to his pc." Is that it? Sounds too easy. Will he have to do
    > > 'anything' on his pc, or does he need anything special on his pc? If
    > > someone can tell me step by step what I would need to do beyond purchasing
    > > this ethernet cable, I would appreciate it, and won't appear to be as
    > > stupid
    > > as I feel right now when he comes in town.

+ Reply to Thread