Vista laptop can't see network devices - Wireless

This is a discussion on Vista laptop can't see network devices - Wireless ; I am trying to add a Gateway Vista Home Premium laptop to my existing wireless network. Network and connection sharing shows it is connected to my network with excellent sig strength, but it cannot see other machines on the network ...

  1. Vista laptop can't see network devices

    I am trying to add a Gateway Vista Home Premium laptop to my existing
    wireless network. Network and connection sharing shows it is connected to
    my network with excellent sig strength, but it cannot see other machines
    on the network or connect to the internet. Firewalls are disabled,
    "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". Network Discovery setting
    says "Custom"; my research shows it should be "On". Options are "Turn
    network discovery on" and "Turn network discovery off". Neither is
    selected, the latter is disabled. I choose "Turn network discovery on" and
    click apply and it returns to the same configuration. More research shows
    someone with the same trouble resolved it by turning on SSDP Discovery and
    UPnP services. In Services, I see that both are already started and one
    depends on the other, but the startup type for SSDP is "manual". I figure
    I'll change it to "automatic" and reboot, maybe that will enable me to
    turn on Network Discovery. Changing the startup type is no-go. I get
    myriad error messages including "access denied" and "the specified value
    does not exist in the registry". What is going on? I am conviced this
    laptop can't see the other network devices because Network Discovery is
    not "on". Please help!

    Ripper

  2. Re: Vista laptop can't see network devices

    It could be a 3rd party software. The following search result may help.
    Posting the result of ipconfig /all may help too.
    Vista issues
    network discovery is turned off Networking Issue between Vista and
    XP because of security software "No network provider accepted the network
    path" may ...
    www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistanetissues.htm

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    "RipperT" wrote in message
    newsp.uhyohaz0to80o2@lab2.smith...
    >I am trying to add a Gateway Vista Home Premium laptop to my existing
    >wireless network. Network and connection sharing shows it is connected to
    >my network with excellent sig strength, but it cannot see other machines
    >on the network or connect to the internet. Firewalls are disabled,
    >"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". Network Discovery setting
    >says "Custom"; my research shows it should be "On". Options are "Turn
    >network discovery on" and "Turn network discovery off". Neither is
    >selected, the latter is disabled. I choose "Turn network discovery on" and
    >click apply and it returns to the same configuration. More research shows
    >someone with the same trouble resolved it by turning on SSDP Discovery and
    >UPnP services. In Services, I see that both are already started and one
    >depends on the other, but the startup type for SSDP is "manual". I figure
    >I'll change it to "automatic" and reboot, maybe that will enable me to
    >turn on Network Discovery. Changing the startup type is no-go. I get
    >myriad error messages including "access denied" and "the specified value
    >does not exist in the registry". What is going on? I am conviced this
    >laptop can't see the other network devices because Network Discovery is
    >not "on". Please help!
    >
    > Ripper

  3. Re: Vista laptop can't see network devices

    Hi
    Maybe this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html#good-signal
    http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    "RipperT" wrote in message
    newsp.uhyohaz0to80o2@lab2.smith...
    >I am trying to add a Gateway Vista Home Premium laptop to my existing
    >wireless network. Network and connection sharing shows it is connected to
    >my network with excellent sig strength, but it cannot see other machines
    >on the network or connect to the internet. Firewalls are disabled,
    >"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". Network Discovery setting
    >says "Custom"; my research shows it should be "On". Options are "Turn
    >network discovery on" and "Turn network discovery off". Neither is
    >selected, the latter is disabled. I choose "Turn network discovery on" and
    >click apply and it returns to the same configuration. More research shows
    >someone with the same trouble resolved it by turning on SSDP Discovery and
    >UPnP services. In Services, I see that both are already started and one
    >depends on the other, but the startup type for SSDP is "manual". I figure
    >I'll change it to "automatic" and reboot, maybe that will enable me to
    >turn on Network Discovery. Changing the startup type is no-go. I get
    >myriad error messages including "access denied" and "the specified value
    >does not exist in the registry". What is going on? I am conviced this
    >laptop can't see the other network devices because Network Discovery is
    >not "on". Please help!
    >
    > Ripper

  4. Re: Vista laptop can't see network devices

    This turns out to be simply changing the location type from public to
    private, which was one of the first things I did to fix the problem. I'm
    baffled. Oh, well, working now.

    Thanks to those who responded.

    Rip

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 21:16:12 -0400, RipperT wrote:

    > I am trying to add a Gateway Vista Home Premium laptop to my existing
    > wireless network. Network and connection sharing shows it is connected
    > to my network with excellent sig strength, but it cannot see other
    > machines on the network or connect to the internet. Firewalls are
    > disabled, "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". Network
    > Discovery setting says "Custom"; my research shows it should be "On".
    > Options are "Turn network discovery on" and "Turn network discovery
    > off". Neither is selected, the latter is disabled. I choose "Turn
    > network discovery on" and click apply and it returns to the same
    > configuration. More research shows someone with the same trouble
    > resolved it by turning on SSDP Discovery and UPnP services. In Services,
    > I see that both are already started and one depends on the other, but
    > the startup type for SSDP is "manual". I figure I'll change it to
    > "automatic" and reboot, maybe that will enable me to turn on Network
    > Discovery. Changing the startup type is no-go. I get myriad error
    > messages including "access denied" and "the specified value does not
    > exist in the registry". What is going on? I am conviced this laptop
    > can't see the other network devices because Network Discovery is not
    > "on". Please help!
    >
    > Ripper

  5. Re: Vista laptop can't see network devices

    Thank you for the update.

    --
    "RipperT" wrote in message
    newsp.uh0ajkflto80o2@lab2.smith...
    > This turns out to be simply changing the location type from public to
    > private, which was one of the first things I did to fix the problem. I'm
    > baffled. Oh, well, working now.
    >
    > Thanks to those who responded.
    >
    > Rip
    >
    > On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 21:16:12 -0400, RipperT wrote:
    >
    >> I am trying to add a Gateway Vista Home Premium laptop to my existing
    >> wireless network. Network and connection sharing shows it is connected
    >> to my network with excellent sig strength, but it cannot see other
    >> machines on the network or connect to the internet. Firewalls are
    >> disabled, "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". Network
    >> Discovery setting says "Custom"; my research shows it should be "On".
    >> Options are "Turn network discovery on" and "Turn network discovery
    >> off". Neither is selected, the latter is disabled. I choose "Turn
    >> network discovery on" and click apply and it returns to the same
    >> configuration. More research shows someone with the same trouble
    >> resolved it by turning on SSDP Discovery and UPnP services. In Services,
    >> I see that both are already started and one depends on the other, but
    >> the startup type for SSDP is "manual". I figure I'll change it to
    >> "automatic" and reboot, maybe that will enable me to turn on Network
    >> Discovery. Changing the startup type is no-go. I get myriad error
    >> messages including "access denied" and "the specified value does not
    >> exist in the registry". What is going on? I am conviced this laptop
    >> can't see the other network devices because Network Discovery is not
    >> "on". Please help!
    >>
    >> Ripper

+ Reply to Thread