Connection Problem with Wireless to Ethernet - Wireless

This is a discussion on Connection Problem with Wireless to Ethernet - Wireless ; Hi, I have an XP(SP3) desktop connected via ethernet to a Zoom X6 modem/WAP, Gateway/Switch. A Vista HP (SP1) desktop is also wired to the Zoom. Communication between these two work fine. I also have a laptop Vista HP (SP1) ...

  1. Connection Problem with Wireless to Ethernet

    Hi,

    I have an XP(SP3) desktop connected via ethernet to a Zoom X6 modem/WAP,
    Gateway/Switch.

    A Vista HP (SP1) desktop is also wired to the Zoom.

    Communication between these two work fine.

    I also have a laptop Vista HP (SP1) on the wireless link and it communicates
    with the XP box and the internet.

    How do I make the Vista Laptop talk to the Vista desktop via wireless to the
    Zoom device and then ethernet to the desktop?

    Thanks, Mike

  2. Re: Connection Problem with Wireless to Ethernet

    Are they in the same subnet? Can hey ping each other?

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    "JB" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an XP(SP3) desktop connected via ethernet to a Zoom X6 modem/WAP,
    > Gateway/Switch.
    >
    > A Vista HP (SP1) desktop is also wired to the Zoom.
    >
    > Communication between these two work fine.
    >
    > I also have a laptop Vista HP (SP1) on the wireless link and it
    > communicates with the XP box and the internet.
    >
    > How do I make the Vista Laptop talk to the Vista desktop via wireless to
    > the Zoom device and then ethernet to the desktop?
    >
    > Thanks, Mike

  3. Re: Connection Problem with Wireless to Ethernet

    When I wrote the message, all three were on the same subnet but not all
    boxes could ping each other.
    That was with the firewalls shut off on all boxes

    Today I left the firewalls up and put the physical address for the NIC in
    each box in the Trusted zone of Norton's firewall setup form. After that,
    all boxes see each other and can be pinged.

    I have no idea why that did not work when the firewalls were (supposedly)
    shut down. But anyway the communication problem is solved. I hope I have
    not created a security problem.

    Thanks for your input.

    Mike

    "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote in message
    > Are they in the same subnet? Can hey ping each other?
    >
    > --
    > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    > "JB" wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have an XP(SP3) desktop connected via ethernet to a Zoom X6 modem/WAP,
    >> Gateway/Switch.
    >>
    >> A Vista HP (SP1) desktop is also wired to the Zoom.
    >>
    >> Communication between these two work fine.
    >>
    >> I also have a laptop Vista HP (SP1) on the wireless link and it
    >> communicates with the XP box and the internet.
    >>
    >> How do I make the Vista Laptop talk to the Vista desktop via wireless to
    >> the Zoom device and then ethernet to the desktop?
    >>
    >> Thanks, Mike

  4. Re: Connection Problem with Wireless to Ethernet

    Thank you for the update.

    --
    "JB" wrote in message
    > When I wrote the message, all three were on the same subnet but not all
    > boxes could ping each other.
    > That was with the firewalls shut off on all boxes
    >
    > Today I left the firewalls up and put the physical address for the NIC in
    > each box in the Trusted zone of Norton's firewall setup form. After that,
    > all boxes see each other and can be pinged.
    >
    > I have no idea why that did not work when the firewalls were (supposedly)
    > shut down. But anyway the communication problem is solved. I hope I
    > have not created a security problem.
    >
    > Thanks for your input.
    >
    > Mike
    >

    > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote in message
    >> Are they in the same subnet? Can hey ping each other?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    >> "JB" wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I have an XP(SP3) desktop connected via ethernet to a Zoom X6 modem/WAP,
    >>> Gateway/Switch.
    >>>
    >>> A Vista HP (SP1) desktop is also wired to the Zoom.
    >>>
    >>> Communication between these two work fine.
    >>>
    >>> I also have a laptop Vista HP (SP1) on the wireless link and it
    >>> communicates with the XP box and the internet.
    >>>
    >>> How do I make the Vista Laptop talk to the Vista desktop via wireless to
    >>> the Zoom device and then ethernet to the desktop?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks, Mike

+ Reply to Thread