Wireless security- have I done enough? - Wireless

This is a discussion on Wireless security- have I done enough? - Wireless ; I've set up my wireless router so that it knows the Mac address of the computers it can speak to. Is this enough security or what other security should I set up?...

  1. Wireless security- have I done enough?

    I've set up my wireless router so that it knows the Mac address of the
    computers it can speak to.

    Is this enough security or what other security should I set up?

  2. Re: Wireless security- have I done enough?

    "Wallace" schreef in bericht
    > I've set up my wireless router so that it knows the Mac address of the
    > computers it can speak to.
    >
    > Is this enough security or what other security should I set up?

    No. Implement WPA psk encoding and IP filters.

    --
    regards,

    |\ /|
    | \/ |@rk
    \../
    \/os

  3. Re: Wireless security- have I done enough?

    Wallace wrote:
    > I've set up my wireless router so that it knows the Mac address of the
    > computers it can speak to.
    >
    > Is this enough security or what other security should I set up?

    At least setup WPA-PSK encryption. WEP if you can't get WPA in your
    hardware, at least WEP keeps the honest man honest.

  4. Re: Wireless security- have I done enough?

    Hi
    When there is No encryption Wireless basic info is transmitted in clear
    text.
    People who want to get to your system and know a little about Wireless can
    sniff the traffic and find the allowed Mac and log to your Network in a
    matter of minutes.
    From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    No Security
    WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
    WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
    your Wireless hardware.
    phrase.
    of one of the Wireless devices.
    device with a better one.
    http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Wallace" wrote in message
    > I've set up my wireless router so that it knows the Mac address of the
    > computers it can speak to.
    >
    > Is this enough security or what other security should I set up?

  5. Re: Wireless security- have I done enough?

    Jack--are you saying if that if we have sp3 installed it would not be
    necessary to download this patch?
    Confusing stuff here-sorry!

    > Hi
    > When there is No encryption Wireless basic info is transmitted in clear
    > text.
    > People who want to get to your system and know a little about Wireless can
    > sniff the traffic and find the allowed Mac and log to your Network in a
    > matter of minutes.
    > From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    > No Security
    > MAC______(Band Aid if nothing else is available).
    > WEP64____(Easy, to "Break" by knowledgeable people).
    > WEP128___(A little Harder, but "Hackable" too).
    > WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
    > WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    > WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
    > Note 1: WPA-AES the the current entry level rendition of WPA2.
    > Note 2: If you use WinXP and did not updated it you would have to download
    > the WPA2 patch from Microsoft. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357
    > The documentation of your Wireless devices (Wireless Router, and Wireless
    > Computer's Card) should state the type of security that is available with
    > your Wireless hardware.
    > All devices MUST be set to the same security level using the same pass
    > phrase.
    > Therefore the security must be set according what ever is the best
    > possible of one of the Wireless devices.
    > I.e. even if most of your system might be capable to be configured to the
    > max. with WPA2, but one device is only capable to be configured to max .
    > of WEP, to whole system must be configured to WEP.
    > If you need more good security and one device (like a Wireless card that
    > can do WEP only) is holding better security for the whole Network, replace
    > the device with a better one.
    > Setting Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    > The Core differences between WEP, WPA, and WPA2 -
    > http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Wallace" wrote in message
    >> I've set up my wireless router so that it knows the Mac address of the
    >> computers it can speak to.
    >>
    >> Is this enough security or what other security should I set up?

  6. Re: Wireless security- have I done enough?

    You keep these responses in a notepad or something don't you!!! :-)
    I've seen this over and over, mostly because it comes up over and over.

  7. Re: Wireless security- have I done enough?

    On Sep 21, 7:58*pm, "mrhangster" wrote:
    > Jack--are you saying if that if we have sp3 installed it would not be
    > necessary to download this patch?
    > Confusing stuff here-sorry!
    >
    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote in message

    > > Hi
    > > When there is No encryption Wireless basic info is transmitted in clear
    > > text.
    > > People who want to get to your system and know a little about Wireless can
    > > sniff the traffic and find the allowed Mac and log to your Network in a
    > > matter of minutes.
    > > From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    > > No Security
    > > MAC______(Band Aid if nothing else is available).
    > > WEP64____(Easy, to "Break" by knowledgeable people).
    > > WEP128___(A little Harder, but "Hackable" too).
    > > WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
    > > WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    > > WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
    > > Note 1: WPA-AES the the current entry level rendition of WPA2.
    > > Note 2: If you use WinXP and did not updated it you would have to download
    > > the WPA2 patch from Microsoft.http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357
    > > The documentation of your Wireless devices (Wireless Router, and Wireless
    > > Computer's Card) should state the type of security that is available with
    > > your Wireless hardware.
    > > All devices MUST be set to the same security level using the same pass
    > > phrase.
    > > Therefore the security must be set according what ever is the best
    > > possible of one of the Wireless devices.
    > > I.e. even if most of your system might be capable to be configured to the
    > > max. with WPA2, but one device is only capable to be configured to max ..
    > > of WEP, to whole system must be configured to WEP.
    > > If you need more good security and one device (like a Wireless card that
    > > can do WEP only) is holding better security for the whole Network, replace
    > > the device with a better one.
    > > Setting Wireless Security -http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    > > The Core differences between WEP, WPA, and WPA2 -
    > >http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
    > > Jack (MVP-Networking).

    > > "Wallace" wrote in message
    > >> I've set up my wireless router so that it knows the Mac address of the
    > >> computers it can speak to.

    > >> Is this enough security or what other security should I set up?- Hide quoted text -

    The WPA2 patch is post SP2 only. You will need it only for when you
    do not want / plan to install SP3.

  8. Re: Wireless security- have I done enough?

    "smlunatick" wrote in message
    > On Sep 21, 7:58 pm, "mrhangster" wrote:
    >> Jack--are you saying if that if we have sp3 installed it would not be
    >> necessary to download this patch?
    >> Confusing stuff here-sorry!
    >>
    >> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote in message

    >> > Hi
    >> > When there is No encryption Wireless basic info is transmitted in clear
    >> > text.
    >> > People who want to get to your system and know a little about Wireless
    >> > can
    >> > sniff the traffic and find the allowed Mac and log to your Network in a
    >> > matter of minutes.
    >> > From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    >> > No Security
    >> > MAC______(Band Aid if nothing else is available).
    >> > WEP64____(Easy, to "Break" by knowledgeable people).
    >> > WEP128___(A little Harder, but "Hackable" too).
    >> > WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
    >> > WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    >> > WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
    >> > Note 1: WPA-AES the the current entry level rendition of WPA2.
    >> > Note 2: If you use WinXP and did not updated it you would have to
    >> > download
    >> > the WPA2 patch from Microsoft.http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357
    >> > The documentation of your Wireless devices (Wireless Router, and
    >> > Wireless
    >> > Computer's Card) should state the type of security that is available
    >> > with
    >> > your Wireless hardware.
    >> > All devices MUST be set to the same security level using the same pass
    >> > phrase.
    >> > Therefore the security must be set according what ever is the best
    >> > possible of one of the Wireless devices.
    >> > I.e. even if most of your system might be capable to be configured to
    >> > the
    >> > max. with WPA2, but one device is only capable to be configured to max
    >> > .
    >> > of WEP, to whole system must be configured to WEP.
    >> > If you need more good security and one device (like a Wireless card
    >> > that
    >> > can do WEP only) is holding better security for the whole Network,
    >> > replace
    >> > the device with a better one.
    >> > Setting Wireless Security -http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    >> > The Core differences between WEP, WPA, and WPA2 -
    >> >http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
    >> > Jack (MVP-Networking).

    >> > "Wallace" wrote in message

    > The WPA2 patch is post SP2 only. You will need it only for when you
    > do not want / plan to install SP3.

    thankyou smlunatick- I thought that was what was being said.

+ Reply to Thread