Resolving WPA - Wireless

This is a discussion on Resolving WPA - Wireless ; I am using a Linksys G router with WPA Personal /TKIP security. Works great. I added an Airlink Wireless Print Server but cannot get it to communicate wirelessly. The server can see the access point and reports it in the ...

  1. Resolving WPA

    I am using a Linksys G router with WPA Personal /TKIP security. Works
    great.
    I added an Airlink Wireless Print Server but cannot get it to communicate
    wirelessly. The server can see the access point and reports it in the
    survey so I know the wirless part is working. The security in the server is
    WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK.

    I have two laptops and a desktop wirelessly connected to the router and
    can't change the router security.

    How can I resolve the differences in these or is there a trouble shooting
    aid that I can find since no errors are reported anywhere.

    TIA, GWB

  2. Re: Resolving WPA

    George W. Barrowcliff wrote:
    > I am using a Linksys G router with WPA Personal /TKIP security. Works
    > great.
    > I added an Airlink Wireless Print Server but cannot get it to communicate
    > wirelessly. The server can see the access point and reports it in the
    > survey so I know the wirless part is working. The security in the server is
    > WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK.
    >
    > I have two laptops and a desktop wirelessly connected to the router and
    > can't change the router security.
    >
    > How can I resolve the differences in these or is there a trouble shooting
    > aid that I can find since no errors are reported anywhere.
    >
    > TIA, GWB

    Try AES not TKIP if you can.

  3. Re: Resolving WPA

    "George W. Barrowcliff" wrote in message
    >I am using a Linksys G router with WPA Personal /TKIP security. Works
    >great.
    > I added an Airlink Wireless Print Server but cannot get it to communicate
    > wirelessly. The server can see the access point and reports it in the
    > survey so I know the wirless part is working. The security in the server
    > is WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK.

    Everything has to use the same encryption method

    > I have two laptops and a desktop wirelessly connected to the router and
    > can't change the router security.

    Of course you can change them. Everything that uses the same Access Point
    must use the same encription as the Access Point,...if a device cannot do so
    then either the Access Point must be changed to a differnet encryption that
    everything can use or you won't be able to use the same Access Point for
    everything and will have to use a second Access Point.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

  4. Re: Resolving WPA

    Can you access the Airlink print server through its IP address (something
    like 192.168.1.101)? If so, then once in there you could try to change the
    security/encryption to WPA Personal/TKIP (same as the Linksys router).

    "George W. Barrowcliff" wrote in message
    >I am using a Linksys G router with WPA Personal /TKIP security. Works
    >great.
    > I added an Airlink Wireless Print Server but cannot get it to communicate
    > wirelessly. The server can see the access point and reports it in the
    > survey so I know the wirless part is working. The security in the server
    > is WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK.
    >
    > I have two laptops and a desktop wirelessly connected to the router and
    > can't change the router security.
    >
    > How can I resolve the differences in these or is there a trouble shooting
    > aid that I can find since no errors are reported anywhere.
    >
    > TIA, GWB

  5. Re: Resolving WPA

    George W. Barrowcliff wrote:
    > I am using a Linksys G router with WPA Personal /TKIP security. Works
    > great.
    > I added an Airlink Wireless Print Server but cannot get it to communicate
    > wirelessly. The server can see the access point and reports it in the
    > survey so I know the wirless part is working. The security in the server is
    > WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK.
    >
    > I have two laptops and a desktop wirelessly connected to the router and
    > can't change the router security.
    >
    > How can I resolve the differences in these or is there a trouble shooting
    > aid that I can find since no errors are reported anywhere.
    >
    > TIA, GWB

    Generally, the way to deal with wireless networking communication
    problems is to first *disable* all encryption so that you can eliminate
    this sometimes confusing aspect of wifi networking. Only add encryption
    *after* you have successfully established wifi communication *without*
    encryption.

    As others have said, all devices on a wireless network must use the same
    encryption method.

    "WPA-PSK" and "WPA-Personal" generally mean the same thing. Furthermore,
    many newer wifi devices can automatically select between WPA-PSK and
    WPA2-PSK (which seems to be the case for your Airlink) and also between
    AES and TKIP.

    Older Linksys routers, however, may have explicit settings for AES,
    TKIP, or AES+TKIP. If you "can't change the router security" because
    it's not your router, then your only option is to look carefully at the
    wireless encryption settings on the Airlink and pick the correct one --
    if it is available.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

  6. Re: Resolving WPA

    As mentioned by Lem, make sure that every thing works well with No
    security,
    From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    No Security
    WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
    WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
    your Wireless hardware.
    phrase.
    of one of the Wireless devices.
    device with a better one.
    http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "George W. Barrowcliff" wrote in message
    >I am using a Linksys G router with WPA Personal /TKIP security. Works
    >great.
    > I added an Airlink Wireless Print Server but cannot get it to communicate
    > wirelessly. The server can see the access point and reports it in the
    > survey so I know the wirless part is working. The security in the server
    > is WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK.
    >
    > I have two laptops and a desktop wirelessly connected to the router and
    > can't change the router security.
    >
    > How can I resolve the differences in these or is there a trouble shooting
    > aid that I can find since no errors are reported anywhere.
    >
    > TIA, GWB

  7. Issue Resolved! Thanks

    Thanks for all your help, especially to Jack for unraveling the various
    types of security. It seems that each vendor has their own name for things.

    As it turns out, I had it configured correctly all the time. The problem
    was simple: The print server could not support a wired and wireless
    connection at the same time. Since I had the wired connection up so I could
    monitor and change the encryption, the wireless would connect for 2-3
    seconds and then drop, giving me the impression that there was something in
    the security that was not set right.

    Soooooooo, the lesson is: Once the wireless is configured via wired
    connection, disconnect the wired connection so wireless can take over.

    Thanks again, hope someone reads this and avoids the time that I spent on
    it.

    GWB
    > As mentioned by Lem, make sure that every thing works well with No
    > security,
    > From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    > No Security
    > MAC______(Band Aid if nothing else is available).
    > WEP64____(Easy, to "Break" by knowledgeable people).
    > WEP128___(A little Harder, but "Hackable" too).
    > WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
    > WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    > WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
    > Note 1: WPA-AES the the current entry level rendition of WPA2.
    > Note 2: If you use WinXP and did not updated it you would have to download
    > the WPA2 patch from Microsoft. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357
    > The documentation of your Wireless devices (Wireless Router, and Wireless
    > Computer's Card) should state the type of security that is available with
    > your Wireless hardware.
    > All devices MUST be set to the same security level using the same pass
    > phrase.
    > Therefore the security must be set according what ever is the best
    > possible of one of the Wireless devices.
    > I.e. even if most of your system might be capable to be configured to the
    > max. with WPA2, but one device is only capable to be configured to max .
    > of WEP, to whole system must be configured to WEP.
    > If you need more good security and one device (like a Wireless card that
    > can do WEP only) is holding better security for the whole Network, replace
    > the device with a better one.
    > Setting Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    > The Core differences between WEP, WPA, and WPA2 -
    > http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >

    > "George W. Barrowcliff" wrote in message
    >>I am using a Linksys G router with WPA Personal /TKIP security. Works
    >>great.
    >> I added an Airlink Wireless Print Server but cannot get it to communicate
    >> wirelessly. The server can see the access point and reports it in the
    >> survey so I know the wirless part is working. The security in the server
    >> is WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK.
    >>
    >> I have two laptops and a desktop wirelessly connected to the router and
    >> can't change the router security.
    >>
    >> How can I resolve the differences in these or is there a trouble
    >> shooting aid that I can find since no errors are reported anywhere.
    >>
    >> TIA, GWB

  8. Re: Issue Resolved! Thanks

    "GWB" wrote in message
    > As it turns out, I had it configured correctly all the time. The problem
    > was simple: The print server could not support a wired and wireless
    > connection at the same time. Since I had the wired connection up so I
    > could monitor and change the encryption, the wireless would connect for
    > 2-3 seconds and then drop, giving me the impression that there was
    > something in the security that was not set right.
    >
    > Soooooooo, the lesson is: Once the wireless is configured via wired
    > connection, disconnect the wired connection so wireless can take over.

    Very good. It is a networking priciple that you should never have two nics
    on the same network at the same time (except Nic Teaming deployments).

    175767 - Expected Behavior of Multiple Adapters on Same Network

    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

  9. Re: Resolving WPA

    I am writing this letter to ALL Wireless Router manufacturers.
    I have a Linksys Wireless Router Model:BEFW11S4. It is 7 years (yes, count
    them, all of seven little years) old. I have visited the Linksys website
    numerous times trying to set up the WEP/WPA security on that wireless router
    (as all responsible wireless router owners should!). I found that there are
    no links to any wireless router setting websites that are congruent with the
    screen shots from Linksys' own self help technical support site. I have had
    to call Linksys several times to resolve this issue only to be placed on hold
    for lengthy times (sometimes my call was dropped and I had to start over ....
    how sad for such a large company to have such poorly trained phone
    receptionists!), then be transferred (see previous comment about the phone
    receptionists) to a supposed supervisor, only to finally be transferred to
    someone who tells me that the warranty has expired and wants me to pay $40.00
    for the technical support to do the right thing that I want and need to do.
    First, the device works fine (as evidenced by this e-mail that you have
    just received)!
    Second, why should I have to pay for doing the right thing?
    Third, if I am going to be EXTORTED into buying a new wireless router so
    that I can do the right thing and set up an encryption key for a secure
    network, what on Gods' Green Earth makes anyone think that I would CHOOSE to
    buy another Linksys product when ALL that I have ever received from them is a
    functional wireless router (yes, even after seven whole years) and the
    crappiest Customer Service/Technical Support I have ever had the displeasure
    to encounter!
    I shall copy this letter and try to find as many Chat Rooms as possible in
    order to spread the word of ALL that I have gone through with the Chain of
    Command at the Linksys phone center, well above and beyond what any
    reasonable person should expect to go through, and still have NO RELIEF
    concerning my singular issue with their product and its capabilities that I
    SHOULD be able to enjoy as the owner of said product! What has happend to
    "The Customer Is Always Right" Customer Service mantra (I can't say "In
    America" because the call was handled in India)? Is the Customer, the ones
    that makes the company what it is through the purchase of products, so
    worthless to the company that they can just be treated with abject contempt
    and scorn? Is the Customer to thus be trampled underfoot? Are we paying to
    be so abused? I, for one (yes, one, the beginning of all), shall NOT be
    treated in such manner, and CERTAINLY shall NOT PAY to be treated as such!
    In this world of expanding technologies, it shall be those with the
    GREATEST Customer Appeal that shall continue to be found worthwile in the
    publics' eyes (and pocketbooks) and shall grow to meet the demands of a
    growing world - ESPECIALLY in the Electronics Department!
    It is now my strongest desire that the Linksys Corporation suffers
    irreparable damage and goes out of business for their Crappy Customer
    Service! I can only hope that I reach enough people around the world to bring
    this desire true!

    "Lem" wrote:

    > George W. Barrowcliff wrote:
    > > I am using a Linksys G router with WPA Personal /TKIP security. Works
    > > great.
    > > I added an Airlink Wireless Print Server but cannot get it to communicate
    > > wirelessly. The server can see the access point and reports it in the
    > > survey so I know the wirless part is working. The security in the server is
    > > WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK.
    > >
    > > I have two laptops and a desktop wirelessly connected to the router and
    > > can't change the router security.
    > >
    > > How can I resolve the differences in these or is there a trouble shooting
    > > aid that I can find since no errors are reported anywhere.
    > >
    > > TIA, GWB
    > >

    > Generally, the way to deal with wireless networking communication
    > problems is to first *disable* all encryption so that you can eliminate
    > this sometimes confusing aspect of wifi networking. Only add encryption
    > *after* you have successfully established wifi communication *without*
    > encryption.
    >
    > As others have said, all devices on a wireless network must use the same
    > encryption method.
    >
    > "WPA-PSK" and "WPA-Personal" generally mean the same thing. Furthermore,
    > many newer wifi devices can automatically select between WPA-PSK and
    > WPA2-PSK (which seems to be the case for your Airlink) and also between
    > AES and TKIP.
    >
    > Older Linksys routers, however, may have explicit settings for AES,
    > TKIP, or AES+TKIP. If you "can't change the router security" because
    > it's not your router, then your only option is to look carefully at the
    > wireless encryption settings on the Airlink and pick the correct one --
    > if it is available.
    >
    > --
    > Lem -- MS-MVP

  10. Re: Resolving WPA

    "Big_Al" wrote:

    > George W. Barrowcliff wrote:
    > > I am using a Linksys G router with WPA Personal /TKIP security. Works
    > > great.
    > > I added an Airlink Wireless Print Server but cannot get it to communicate
    > > wirelessly. The server can see the access point and reports it in the
    > > survey so I know the wirless part is working. The security in the server is
    > > WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK.
    > >
    > > I have two laptops and a desktop wirelessly connected to the router and
    > > can't change the router security.
    > >
    > > How can I resolve the differences in these or is there a trouble shooting
    > > aid that I can find since no errors are reported anywhere.
    > >
    > > TIA, GWB
    > >

    > Try AES not TKIP if you can.

  11. RE: Resolving WPA

    "George W. Barrowcliff" wrote:

    > I am using a Linksys G router with WPA Personal /TKIP security. Works
    > great.
    > I added an Airlink Wireless Print Server but cannot get it to communicate
    > wirelessly. The server can see the access point and reports it in the
    > survey so I know the wirless part is working. The security in the server is
    > WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK.
    >
    > I have two laptops and a desktop wirelessly connected to the router and
    > can't change the router security.
    >
    > How can I resolve the differences in these or is there a trouble shooting
    > aid that I can find since no errors are reported anywhere.
    >
    > TIA, GWB

  12. Re: Resolving WPA

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > As mentioned by Lem, make sure that every thing works well with No
    > security,
    > From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    > No Security
    > MAC______(Band Aid if nothing else is available).
    > WEP64____(Easy, to "Break" by knowledgeable people).
    > WEP128___(A little Harder, but "Hackable" too).
    > WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
    > WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    > WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
    > Note 1: WPA-AES the the current entry level rendition of WPA2.
    > Note 2: If you use WinXP and did not updated it you would have to download
    > the WPA2 patch from Microsoft. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357
    > The documentation of your Wireless devices (Wireless Router, and Wireless
    > Computer's Card) should state the type of security that is available with
    > your Wireless hardware.
    > All devices MUST be set to the same security level using the same pass
    > phrase.
    > Therefore the security must be set according what ever is the best possible
    > of one of the Wireless devices.
    > I.e. even if most of your system might be capable to be configured to the
    > max. with WPA2, but one device is only capable to be configured to max . of
    > WEP, to whole system must be configured to WEP.
    > If you need more good security and one device (like a Wireless card that can
    > do WEP only) is holding better security for the whole Network, replace the
    > device with a better one.
    > Setting Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    > The Core differences between WEP, WPA, and WPA2 -
    > http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >

    > "George W. Barrowcliff" wrote in message
    > >I am using a Linksys G router with WPA Personal /TKIP security. Works
    > >great.
    > > I added an Airlink Wireless Print Server but cannot get it to communicate
    > > wirelessly. The server can see the access point and reports it in the
    > > survey so I know the wirless part is working. The security in the server
    > > is WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK.
    > >
    > > I have two laptops and a desktop wirelessly connected to the router and
    > > can't change the router security.
    > >
    > > How can I resolve the differences in these or is there a trouble shooting
    > > aid that I can find since no errors are reported anywhere.
    > >
    > > TIA, GWB

  13. Re: Issue Resolved! Thanks