Can't get Laptop shared files to show on desktop network places - Wireless

This is a discussion on Can't get Laptop shared files to show on desktop network places - Wireless ; I have file sharing set up on both computers. Laptop connects using Netgear wireless router. I can see the desktop and laptop shared files on laptop's "My Network Places" but can only see desktop shared files on desktop netowrk places. ...

  1. Can't get Laptop shared files to show on desktop network places

    I have file sharing set up on both computers. Laptop connects using Netgear
    wireless router. I can see the desktop and laptop shared files on laptop's
    "My Network Places" but can only see desktop shared files on desktop netowrk
    places. I can connect to the laptop through "View Workgroup Computers" but
    that seems to be an unnecessary step. How can I get my files to show on the
    desktop "My Network Places" Thanks in advance

  2. Re: Can't get Laptop shared files to show on desktop network places

    "Thom" wrote in message
    >I have file sharing set up on both computers. Laptop connects using
    >Netgear
    > wireless router. I can see the desktop and laptop shared files on
    > laptop's
    > "My Network Places" but can only see desktop shared files on desktop
    > netowrk
    > places. I can connect to the laptop through "View Workgroup Computers"
    > but
    > that seems to be an unnecessary step. How can I get my files to show on
    > the
    > desktop "My Network Places" Thanks in advance

    make sure Firewalls are set to allow each comp to see tother.

    then try this for starters.........

    Open Windows Explorer and go Tools, Folder Options and select the View tab.

    scroll to the bottom and either tick the Use simple file sharing box. Set
    both the same ie both ticked. Now shut down and restart each comp. Now check
    file sharing. If that does not work, go back and tick both boxes. Now shut
    down and restart both comps again. Check file sharing now.

    if that does not work, Please give this method a try,

    I have used it for files that I was unable to see and it has worked.

    be aware my comps are all at XP SP3 level and all wireless

    You must do this on both comps

    Open Windows Explorer and select Tools, Folder Options, View, scroll to the
    bottom and UNTICK Use simple file sharing....select OK

    Now go to the files(s) you want to share and right click. One of the tabs
    should now be Security. Select it.

    In the top pane you can Add a user name. So select Add, enter the object
    name Everyone then in the lower pane Permissions for Everyone, Tick all the
    available Allow boxes except Full Control.....select OK.

    Now restart each computer.......then go to Windows Explorer, right click My
    Network Places, Explore.

    What Shared files appear now............

+ Reply to Thread