Vista vs XP wireless problem - Wireless

This is a discussion on Vista vs XP wireless problem - Wireless ; Hi.. I've got two laptops running an all updated Windows XP Home and a self built no name desktop running Vista Ultimate and these two laptops do not see the desktop on a wireless network based on a D-link DIR ...

  1. Vista vs XP wireless problem

    Hi..

    I've got two laptops running an all updated Windows XP Home and a self built
    no name desktop running Vista Ultimate and these two laptops do not see the
    desktop on a wireless network based on a D-link DIR 635 wireless router.

    I have run through all that is mentioned here:
    http://www.svabhinava.org/Dia-Gnosis...taXP-frame.php

    When trying to install LLTP I've got a message saying that there already is
    a newer version installed. That's probably because this installation is made
    for XP XP2, not SP3 which is previously installed.

    Right now while I write this I have five computers running and the XP
    laptops are not showing on my Vista Ultimate desktop. They are, however,
    showing on two laptops running Vista Home Premium.

    All Vista computers are running the same user with the same password.
    The XP laptops are running two different users.
    File and Printer sharing are activated on all computers.

    Somebody whispered in my ear that this could easily be fixed with a small
    download for MS.
    If he meant the LLTP installation he didn't know, but in that case it didn't
    work.
    Is there anybody here that knows of such a file?

    This has been of no problem just a few weeks ago. The problem suddenly
    appeared without any warning just a few weeks ago.
    What I wonder now is what can be wrong?

    Is the problem situated in my Vista Ultimate desktop, or in the two laptops
    running XP?
    What can I do to get those two XP laptops to connect with my Vista Ultimate
    desktop?

    --

    Zadig Galbaras
    (nick)

  2. Re: Vista vs XP wireless problem

    Do you have any security software on the Vista desktop? Can you ping XP
    laptop by IP?

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    "Řyvind Granberg" wrote in message
    > Hi..
    >
    > I've got two laptops running an all updated Windows XP Home and a self
    > built
    > no name desktop running Vista Ultimate and these two laptops do not see
    > the
    > desktop on a wireless network based on a D-link DIR 635 wireless router.
    >
    > I have run through all that is mentioned here:
    > http://www.svabhinava.org/Dia-Gnosis...taXP-frame.php
    >
    > When trying to install LLTP I've got a message saying that there already
    > is
    > a newer version installed. That's probably because this installation is
    > made
    > for XP XP2, not SP3 which is previously installed.
    >
    > Right now while I write this I have five computers running and the XP
    > laptops are not showing on my Vista Ultimate desktop. They are, however,
    > showing on two laptops running Vista Home Premium.
    >
    > All Vista computers are running the same user with the same password.
    > The XP laptops are running two different users.
    > File and Printer sharing are activated on all computers.
    >
    > Somebody whispered in my ear that this could easily be fixed with a small
    > download for MS.
    > If he meant the LLTP installation he didn't know, but in that case it
    > didn't
    > work.
    > Is there anybody here that knows of such a file?
    >
    > This has been of no problem just a few weeks ago. The problem suddenly
    > appeared without any warning just a few weeks ago.
    > What I wonder now is what can be wrong?
    >
    > Is the problem situated in my Vista Ultimate desktop, or in the two
    > laptops
    > running XP?
    > What can I do to get those two XP laptops to connect with my Vista
    > Ultimate
    > desktop?
    >

    > --
    >

    > Zadig Galbaras