Wireless Connection problems - Wireless

This is a discussion on Wireless Connection problems - Wireless ; I have Windows XP Media Center on my laptop and have a Dell Wireless 1500 Draft 802.11WLAN Mini Card. I was prompt to renew my McAfee Security System and my Wireless Protection. I chose McAfee Total Protection (did the removal ...

  1. Wireless Connection problems

    I have Windows XP Media Center on my laptop and have a Dell Wireless 1500
    Draft 802.11WLAN Mini Card. I was prompt to renew my McAfee Security System
    and my Wireless Protection. I chose McAfee Total Protection (did the removal
    of my old McAfee), loaded Total Protection and realized that it didn't
    include a Wireless Protection and when I removed my old NcAfee, it removed my
    Wireless Protection. Had to go to another computer to get online, looked on
    the McAfee web site and searched for a new version of Wireless Protection
    with no luck. I then reloaded from a disc my old version of Wireless
    Protection and was able to connect online again (after entering the WEP keys)
    and then I started experiencing problems with my new version of McAfee
    Total Protection, stating that some of the Wireless Protection was not
    loaded, I wasn't protected, and to reload Wireless Protection (also the
    McAfee symbol (red 'M' in grey box) in the taskbar would turn black with
    distorted blue lines or picture in box)
    I contacted McAfee, stated my problem and was advised that at this time,
    they do not offer Wireless Protection and to remove my Wireless Protection.
    I advised them that this came with my computer and this is the way I connect
    to the internet.

    So, my question is how do I connect to a wireless internet (I use my laptop
    at home and at work, etc...) without a wireless protection?

  2. Re: Wireless Connection problems

    "sss69" wrote in message
    > So, my question is how do I connect to a wireless internet (I use my
    > laptop
    > at home and at work, etc...) without a wireless protection?

    Your "wireless protection" does not come from McAfee. You are a victem of
    Marketing that uses terms in whatever way benefits them. Just because
    McAfee had some feature in their earlier product (later removed) that in
    some way or another claims to have added to your "wireless security" does
    not in any way make *them* the official protector of your wireless
    networking methods.

    You wireless security comes from the encryption Protocols in Windows. The
    most common are WEP and a few variations of WPA.

    All you need is the Driver for the Wireless Network Adapter (NIC) loaded
    into Windows

    You do *not* need the Utility application(s) that came from the NIC
    Manufacture, although it may install along with the driver without giving
    you a choice. Often you can uninstall the Utility and then have the machine
    scan for new hardware and it will pick up the NIC Driver (that still
    remains) and the NIC will function.

    You then use the Windows Zero Configuration Utility to manage the Nic. Do
    not let the NIC Manufacture's Utility manage the NIC if it is still
    installed, they tend to be "clunky", undependable, and sometimes overly
    complicated and confusing. I don't remember if the Zero Configuration
    Utility is still called that in Vista or if it is called something else.

    Anyway,..then choose a variation of WPA (forget WEP) and use it. This *IS*
    your Wireless Security.

    Checkout the "wireless" sections of this web site for details:

    http://www.ezlan.net/index.html

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

  3. Re: Wireless Connection problems

    Hi
    This service by McAfee is a personal choice. Millions of people use their
    Wireless computers and probably never heard of McAfee.
    Uninstall and remove what ever relates to this product, and use the Windows
    Wireless Utility (WZC), or the original manufacturer utility (whatever works
    best for you).
    The info. in the following pages might help you in case your Wireless
    configuration is way Off Default.
    From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    No Security
    WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
    WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
    your Wireless hardware.
    phrase.
    of one of the Wireless devices.
    device with a better one.
    http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "sss69" wrote in message
    >I have Windows XP Media Center on my laptop and have a Dell Wireless 1500
    > Draft 802.11WLAN Mini Card. I was prompt to renew my McAfee Security
    > System
    > and my Wireless Protection. I chose McAfee Total Protection (did the
    > removal
    > of my old McAfee), loaded Total Protection and realized that it didn't
    > include a Wireless Protection and when I removed my old NcAfee, it removed
    > my
    > Wireless Protection. Had to go to another computer to get online, looked
    > on
    > the McAfee web site and searched for a new version of Wireless Protection
    > with no luck. I then reloaded from a disc my old version of Wireless
    > Protection and was able to connect online again (after entering the WEP
    > keys)
    > and then I started experiencing problems with my new version of McAfee
    > Total Protection, stating that some of the Wireless Protection was not
    > loaded, I wasn't protected, and to reload Wireless Protection (also the
    > McAfee symbol (red 'M' in grey box) in the taskbar would turn black with
    > distorted blue lines or picture in box)
    > I contacted McAfee, stated my problem and was advised that at this time,
    > they do not offer Wireless Protection and to remove my Wireless
    > Protection.
    > I advised them that this came with my computer and this is the way I
    > connect
    > to the internet.
    >
    > So, my question is how do I connect to a wireless internet (I use my
    > laptop
    > at home and at work, etc...) without a wireless protection?

+ Reply to Thread