Wireless Network Connection - Speed decrease - Wireless

This is a discussion on Wireless Network Connection - Speed decrease - Wireless ; I have a cable broadband connection via Roadrunner. My network runs off a laptop, and my PC has a little USB 2.11 Netgear receiver (I think that's what it's called). My op system is Windows XP, with service pack 3. ...

  1. Wireless Network Connection - Speed decrease

    I have a cable broadband connection via Roadrunner. My network runs
    off a laptop, and my PC has a little USB 2.11 Netgear receiver (I
    think that's what it's called). My op system is Windows XP, with
    service pack 3. Until a couple of days ago I was getting connection
    speeds of 54MBps, but now I get 16MBps and below. I have a secure
    connection, and the PC tells me it is OK. I've tried repair, which
    makes no difference. I've made no changes as far as I can tell, but a
    week or so ago, I volunteered to share unused bandwidth for some
    global scheme, which I don't know how to nullify.

    Is the unused bandwidth scheme the cause of the problem? I don't mind
    sharing my bandwidth when I'm NOT actively using the Internet, but
    this is a permanent reduction, and it's affecting my browsing. I
    usually use IE, by the way.

    Any suggestions?

  2. Re: Wireless Network Connection - Speed decrease

    "Brummie" wrote in message
    > makes no difference. I've made no changes as far as I can tell, but a
    > week or so ago, I volunteered to share unused bandwidth for some
    > global scheme,

    Well, that constitutes "making a change" :-)

    > which I don't know how to nullify.

    You need to find out,..the same place you found out how to do it is the same
    place you will find out how to undo it.

    > Is the unused bandwidth scheme the cause of the problem?

    It is so extremely likely ......

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

  3. Re: Wireless Network Connection - Speed decrease

    Hi
    It possible that some signal interference was "injected" into the
    environment try to change the Channel in the Wireless Router, and choose the
    one that yield best result.
    If the Wireless card ("SB 2.11 Netgear receiver"as you call it ),is stuck
    between the computer and some thing the masks it physically, place it in
    another location.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    "Brummie" wrote in message
    >I have a cable broadband connection via Roadrunner. My network runs
    > off a laptop, and my PC has a little USB 2.11 Netgear receiver (I
    > think that's what it's called). My op system is Windows XP, with
    > service pack 3. Until a couple of days ago I was getting connection
    > speeds of 54MBps, but now I get 16MBps and below. I have a secure
    > connection, and the PC tells me it is OK. I've tried repair, which
    > makes no difference. I've made no changes as far as I can tell, but a
    > week or so ago, I volunteered to share unused bandwidth for some
    > global scheme, which I don't know how to nullify.
    >
    > Is the unused bandwidth scheme the cause of the problem? I don't mind
    > sharing my bandwidth when I'm NOT actively using the Internet, but
    > this is a permanent reduction, and it's affecting my browsing. I
    > usually use IE, by the way.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

  4. Re: Wireless Network Connection - Speed decrease

    that global sharing is probably something you should check against
    Roadrunners Terms of Service (unless it is a RR project officially)
    and is most likely the change that you made that caused the problem.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

  5. Re: Wireless Network Connection - Speed decrease

    On Sep 15, 7:16*pm, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    wrote:
    > Hi
    > It possible that some signal interference was "injected" into the
    > environment try to change the Channel in the Wireless Router, and choose the
    > one that yield best result.
    > If the Wireless card ("SB 2.11 Netgear receiver"as you call it ),is stuck
    > between the computer and some thing the masks it physically, place it in
    > another location.
    > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >
    > "Brummie" wrote in message

    > >I have a cable broadband connection via Roadrunner. My network runs
    > > off a laptop, and my PC has a little USB 2.11 Netgear receiver (I
    > > think that's what it's called). My op system is Windows XP, with
    > > service pack 3. Until a couple of days ago I was getting connection
    > > speeds of 54MBps, but now I get 16MBps and below. I have a secure
    > > connection, and the PC tells me it is OK. I've tried repair, which
    > > makes no difference. I've made no changes as far as I can tell, but a
    > > week or so ago, I volunteered to share unused bandwidth for some
    > > global scheme, which I don't know how to nullify.

    > > Is the unused bandwidth scheme the cause of the problem? I don't mind
    > > sharing my bandwidth when I'm NOT actively using the Internet, but
    > > this is a permanent reduction, and it's affecting my browsing. I
    > > usually use IE, by the way.

    > > Any suggestions?

    Thanks. I'll try moving the router around.

  6. Re: Wireless Network Connection - Speed decrease

    On Sep 16, 1:46*am, Barb Bowman wrote:
    > that global sharing is probably something you should check against
    > Roadrunners Terms of Service (unless it is a RR project officially)
    > and is most likely the change that you made that caused the problem.
    >
    > On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 20:19:57 -0700 (PDT), Brummie
    >

    > wrote:
    > >I have a cable broadband connection via Roadrunner. My network runs
    > >off a laptop, and my PC has a little USB 2.11 Netgear receiver (I
    > >think that's what it's called). My op system is Windows XP, with
    > >service pack 3. Until a couple of days ago I was getting connection
    > >speeds of 54MBps, but now I get 16MBps and below. I have a secure
    > >connection, and the PC tells me it is OK. I've tried repair, which
    > >makes no difference. I've made no changes as far as I can tell, but a
    > >week or so ago, I volunteered to share unused bandwidth for some
    > >global scheme, which I don't know how to nullify.

    > >Is the unused bandwidth scheme the cause of the problem? I don't mind
    > >sharing my bandwidth when I'm NOT actively using the Internet, but
    > >this is a permanent reduction, and it's affecting my browsing. I
    > >usually use IE, by the way.

    > >Any suggestions?

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman