new wireless connection - Wireless

This is a discussion on new wireless connection - Wireless ; I have just set up my wireless connection on my new laptop using a aol wireless router. However, the speed of my internet is shocking, i've had this set up for about two hours now and the internet site has ...

  1. new wireless connection

    I have just set up my wireless connection on my new laptop using a aol
    wireless router. However, the speed of my internet is shocking, i've had
    this set up for about two hours now and the internet site has still not
    loaded. The signal strength is "excellent" Has anyone got any ideas on how i
    could speed the connection up and what to check. Thanks x

  2. Re: new wireless connection

    what is an AOL wireless router? As far as I know, AOL does not
    manufacturer router hardware so what brand, type, model number? what
    wireless card in the laptop. what kind of connection to the Internet
    does the router have? dial up? dsl? cable?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

  3. Re: new wireless connection

    On Sep 13, 9:50*pm, "Becca x" wrote:
    > I have just set up my wireless connection on my new laptop using a aol
    > wireless router. However, the speed of my internet is shocking, i've had
    > this set up for about two hours now and the internet site has still not
    > loaded. The signal strength is "excellent" Has anyone got any ideas on how i
    > could speed the connection up and what to check. Thanks x

    Signal strength is meaningless unless you tell us what level of
    wireless networking it uses:

    802.11n (draft) -- up to 300.0 Mbps -- a lot of adapter / router
    compatibility issues

    802.11g -- up to 54.0Mbps (officially) -- can be boosted to 180.0
    Mbps / 240.0 Mbps with "enhanced" hardware

    802.11b -- up to 11.0 Mbps

    The above all operate with the same signal range. (2.4 Mhz)

    802.11a -- up to 54 Mbps -- different signal range (5 Mhz) but uses a
    shorter range.

+ Reply to Thread