wireless connection "validating Identity" - Wireless

This is a discussion on wireless connection "validating Identity" - Wireless ; I am trying to connect a desktop computer using a enhanced-G USB wirless adapter and I am recieving the connection showing continulessly "Validating Identity" I have the gigabit-N router setup with a 26 digit WEP code. I there anyway that ...

  1. wireless connection "validating Identity"

    I am trying to connect a desktop computer using a enhanced-G USB wirless
    adapter and I am recieving the connection showing continulessly "Validating
    Identity" I have the gigabit-N router setup with a 26 digit WEP code. I
    there anyway that I can connect this computer without going down to a 10 or
    11 digit code key? I have updated all the XP software downloads and the
    latest drivers for the wireless device. My wife has a laptop with XP and it
    is connected perfectly with no issues. th router is connected to a Vista OS
    machine and my laptop with vista has no issues withthe connection. Any
    advice that you can give is appriciated.
    --
    Big Ken

  2. Re: wireless connection "validating Identity"

    Hi
    Try to use WPA,
    WEP is Not safe, and "Quirky" to begin with.
    From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    No Security
    WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
    WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
    your Wireless hardware.
    phrase.
    of one of the Wireless devices.
    device with a better one.
    http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Big Ken" wrote in message
    >I am trying to connect a desktop computer using a enhanced-G USB wirless
    > adapter and I am recieving the connection showing continulessly
    > "Validating
    > Identity" I have the gigabit-N router setup with a 26 digit WEP code. I
    > there anyway that I can connect this computer without going down to a 10
    > or
    > 11 digit code key? I have updated all the XP software downloads and the
    > latest drivers for the wireless device. My wife has a laptop with XP and
    > it
    > is connected perfectly with no issues. th router is connected to a Vista
    > OS
    > machine and my laptop with vista has no issues withthe connection. Any
    > advice that you can give is appriciated.
    > --
    > Big Ken

  3. Re: wireless connection "validating Identity"

    I have the XP desktop connected with an USB connected Dynex Enhanced-G
    wireless device. I have installed the latest drivers for this adapter.
    Do you think that I can connect the XP desktop using WPA2?
    --
    Big Ken

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > Try to use WPA,
    > WEP is Not safe, and "Quirky" to begin with.
    > From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    > No Security
    > MAC______(Band Aid if nothing else is available).
    > WEP64____(Easy, to "Break" by knowledgeable people).
    > WEP128___(A little Harder, but "Hackable" too).
    > WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
    > WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    > WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
    > Note 1: WPA-AES the the current entry level rendition of WPA2.
    > Note 2: If you use WinXP and did not updated it you would have to download
    > the WPA2 patch from Microsoft. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357
    > The documentation of your Wireless devices (Wireless Router, and Wireless
    > Computer's Card) should state the type of security that is available with
    > your Wireless hardware.
    > All devices MUST be set to the same security level using the same pass
    > phrase.
    > Therefore the security must be set according what ever is the best possible
    > of one of the Wireless devices.
    > I.e. even if most of your system might be capable to be configured to the
    > max. with WPA2, but one device is only capable to be configured to max . of
    > WEP, to whole system must be configured to WEP.
    > If you need more good security and one device (like a Wireless card that can
    > do WEP only) is holding better security for the whole Network, replace the
    > device with a better one.
    > Setting Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    > The Core differences between WEP, WPA, and WPA2 -
    > http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Big Ken" wrote in message
    > >I am trying to connect a desktop computer using a enhanced-G USB wirless
    > > adapter and I am recieving the connection showing continulessly
    > > "Validating
    > > Identity" I have the gigabit-N router setup with a 26 digit WEP code. I
    > > there anyway that I can connect this computer without going down to a 10
    > > or
    > > 11 digit code key? I have updated all the XP software downloads and the
    > > latest drivers for the wireless device. My wife has a laptop with XP and
    > > it
    > > is connected perfectly with no issues. th router is connected to a Vista
    > > OS
    > > machine and my laptop with vista has no issues withthe connection. Any
    > > advice that you can give is appriciated.
    > > --
    > > Big Ken

  4. Re: wireless connection "validating Identity"

    Setting up a wireless network can be too frustrating;
    and, if the computer isn't portable, the effort is wasted for nothing.
    Powerline adapters are a better solution in many cases.
    They are easier to install, secure, more resistant to interferences.
    You'll never have to search for new drivers
    and worry about WZC, passwords, SSIDs.

    Examples of new (200 Mbps) and older (85 Mbps) Powerline adapters:
    http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=533
    http://www.netgear.com/Products/Powe...rs/HDX101.aspx

    The technology is explained here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HomePlu...rline_Alliance

    Regards,
    --PA

    Big Ken wrote:
    > I have the XP desktop connected with an USB connected Dynex Enhanced-G
    > wireless device. I have installed the latest drivers for this adapter.
    > Do you think that I can connect the XP desktop using WPA2?

  5. Re: wireless connection "validating Identity"

    I have to agree with Pevel regarding the homeplug mains networking if you
    have a desktop. I've had great success in the home environment but ensure you
    test well in any industrial or business environment as I've tried 5 roll-outs
    now with initial success but drop outs after around 20 minutes.

    I've tested around 4 brands now and ZyXEL seem to be the most reliable.

    Regards
    Stephen

    "Big Ken" wrote:

    > I have the XP desktop connected with an USB connected Dynex Enhanced-G
    > wireless device. I have installed the latest drivers for this adapter.
    > Do you think that I can connect the XP desktop using WPA2?
    > --
    > Big Ken
    >

    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    >
    > > Hi
    > > Try to use WPA,
    > > WEP is Not safe, and "Quirky" to begin with.
    > > From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    > > No Security
    > > MAC______(Band Aid if nothing else is available).
    > > WEP64____(Easy, to "Break" by knowledgeable people).
    > > WEP128___(A little Harder, but "Hackable" too).
    > > WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
    > > WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    > > WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
    > > Note 1: WPA-AES the the current entry level rendition of WPA2.
    > > Note 2: If you use WinXP and did not updated it you would have to download
    > > the WPA2 patch from Microsoft. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357
    > > The documentation of your Wireless devices (Wireless Router, and Wireless
    > > Computer's Card) should state the type of security that is available with
    > > your Wireless hardware.
    > > All devices MUST be set to the same security level using the same pass
    > > phrase.
    > > Therefore the security must be set according what ever is the best possible
    > > of one of the Wireless devices.
    > > I.e. even if most of your system might be capable to be configured to the
    > > max. with WPA2, but one device is only capable to be configured to max . of
    > > WEP, to whole system must be configured to WEP.
    > > If you need more good security and one device (like a Wireless card that can
    > > do WEP only) is holding better security for the whole Network, replace the
    > > device with a better one.
    > > Setting Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    > > The Core differences between WEP, WPA, and WPA2 -
    > > http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
    > > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    > >
    > > "Big Ken" wrote in message
    > > >I am trying to connect a desktop computer using a enhanced-G USB wirless
    > > > adapter and I am recieving the connection showing continulessly
    > > > "Validating
    > > > Identity" I have the gigabit-N router setup with a 26 digit WEP code. I
    > > > there anyway that I can connect this computer without going down to a 10
    > > > or
    > > > 11 digit code key? I have updated all the XP software downloads and the
    > > > latest drivers for the wireless device. My wife has a laptop with XP and
    > > > it
    > > > is connected perfectly with no issues. th router is connected to a Vista
    > > > OS
    > > > machine and my laptop with vista has no issues withthe connection. Any
    > > > advice that you can give is appriciated.
    > > > --
    > > > Big Ken

  6. Re: wireless connection "validating Identity"

    Hi
    I do not know about WPA2, but the Dynex Enhanced-G does WPA.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    "Big Ken" wrote in message
> [...]
    >> > adapter and I am recieving the connection showing continulessly
    >> > "Validating
    >> > Identity" I have the gigabit-N router setup with a 26 digit WEP code.
    >> > there anyway that I can connect this computer without going down to a
    >> > 10
    >> > or
    >> > 11 digit code key? I have updated all the XP software downloads and
    >> > the
    >> > latest drivers for the wireless device. My wife has a laptop with XP
    >> > and
    >> > it
    >> > is connected perfectly with no issues. th router is connected to a
    >> > Vista
    >> > OS
    >> > machine and my laptop with vista has no issues withthe connection. Any
    >> > advice that you can give is appriciated.

  7. Re: wireless connection "validating Identity"

    Thanks for the advice. I ensured that the XP computer was updated and
    changed the wireless router to WPA2 and it connected all my computers without
    any issues. Your information was the assistance that I needed. I no longer
    have the "Validating Identity" with the internet connection on the XP
    computer. Agian thank you for your advice.
    --
    Big Ken

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > I do not know about WPA2, but the Dynex Enhanced-G does WPA.
    > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >

    > "Big Ken" wrote in message
    > >I have the XP desktop connected with an USB connected Dynex Enhanced-G
    > > wireless device. I have installed the latest drivers for this adapter.
    > > Do you think that I can connect the XP desktop using WPA2?
    > > --
    > > Big Ken
    > >

    > > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi
    > >> Try to use WPA,
    > >> WEP is Not safe, and "Quirky" to begin with.
    > >> From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    > >> No Security
    > >> MAC______(Band Aid if nothing else is available).
    > >> WEP64____(Easy, to "Break" by knowledgeable people).
    > >> WEP128___(A little Harder, but "Hackable" too).
    > >> WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
    > >> WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    > >> WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
    > >> Note 1: WPA-AES the the current entry level rendition of WPA2.
    > >> Note 2: If you use WinXP and did not updated it you would have to
    > >> download
    > >> the WPA2 patch from Microsoft. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357
    > >> The documentation of your Wireless devices (Wireless Router, and Wireless
    > >> Computer's Card) should state the type of security that is available with
    > >> your Wireless hardware.
    > >> All devices MUST be set to the same security level using the same pass
    > >> phrase.
    > >> Therefore the security must be set according what ever is the best
    > >> possible
    > >> of one of the Wireless devices.
    > >> I.e. even if most of your system might be capable to be configured to the
    > >> max. with WPA2, but one device is only capable to be configured to max .
    > >> of
    > >> WEP, to whole system must be configured to WEP.
    > >> If you need more good security and one device (like a Wireless card that
    > >> can
    > >> do WEP only) is holding better security for the whole Network, replace
    > >> the
    > >> device with a better one.
    > >> Setting Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    > >> The Core differences between WEP, WPA, and WPA2 -
    > >> http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
    > >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    > >>
    > >> "Big Ken" wrote in message

  8. Re: wireless connection "validating Identity"

    Stephen Liffen wrote:
    > I have to agree with Pevel regarding the homeplug mains networking if you
    > have a desktop. I've had great success in the home environment but ensure you
    > test well in any industrial or business environment as I've tried 5 roll-outs
    > now with initial success but drop outs after around 20 minutes.
    >
    > I've tested around 4 brands now and ZyXEL seem to be the most reliable.
    >
    > Regards
    > Stephen

    I have Devolo starter kit (pair of preconfigured adapters) and another
    chinese model (Shiro), all based on Intellon 85 Mbps core.
    These adapters become now dirt cheap, as production moves to the 200
    Mbps standard. Still, 85 is much more than my home internet connection
    speed.
    --PA

    > "Big Ken" wrote:
    >
    >> I have the XP desktop connected with an USB connected Dynex Enhanced-G
    >> wireless device. I have installed the latest drivers for this adapter.
    >> Do you think that I can connect the XP desktop using WPA2?
    >> --
    >> Big Ken
    >>

    >> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi
    >>> Try to use WPA,
    >>> WEP is Not safe, and "Quirky" to begin with.
    >>> From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    >>> No Security
    >>> MAC______(Band Aid if nothing else is available).
    >>> WEP64____(Easy, to "Break" by knowledgeable people).
    >>> WEP128___(A little Harder, but "Hackable" too).
    >>> WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
    >>> WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    >>> WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
    >>> Note 1: WPA-AES the the current entry level rendition of WPA2.
    >>> Note 2: If you use WinXP and did not updated it you would have to download
    >>> the WPA2 patch from Microsoft. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357
    >>> The documentation of your Wireless devices (Wireless Router, and Wireless
    >>> Computer's Card) should state the type of security that is available with
    >>> your Wireless hardware.
    >>> All devices MUST be set to the same security level using the same pass
    >>> phrase.
    >>> Therefore the security must be set according what ever is the best possible
    >>> of one of the Wireless devices.
    >>> I.e. even if most of your system might be capable to be configured to the
    >>> max. with WPA2, but one device is only capable to be configured to max . of
    >>> WEP, to whole system must be configured to WEP.
    >>> If you need more good security and one device (like a Wireless card that can
    >>> do WEP only) is holding better security for the whole Network, replace the
    >>> device with a better one.
    >>> Setting Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    >>> The Core differences between WEP, WPA, and WPA2 -
    >>> http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
    >>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>>
    >>> "Big Ken" wrote in message

  9. Re: wireless connection "validating Identity"

    Hi. I have same problem. I`m tired of looking at message "validating
    Identity". I`ve followed your advice by step. I downloaded WP2 patch and
    installed it immediately. But I`m still stuck in problem. Could you explain
    me how to change WEP to WPA. I`m not computer specialist, just a user. Thank
    you

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > Try to use WPA,
    > WEP is Not safe, and "Quirky" to begin with.
    > From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    > No Security
    > MAC______(Band Aid if nothing else is available).
    > WEP64____(Easy, to "Break" by knowledgeable people).
    > WEP128___(A little Harder, but "Hackable" too).
    > WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
    > WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    > WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
    > Note 1: WPA-AES the the current entry level rendition of WPA2.
    > Note 2: If you use WinXP and did not updated it you would have to download
    > the WPA2 patch from Microsoft. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357
    > The documentation of your Wireless devices (Wireless Router, and Wireless
    > Computer's Card) should state the type of security that is available with
    > your Wireless hardware.
    > All devices MUST be set to the same security level using the same pass
    > phrase.
    > Therefore the security must be set according what ever is the best possible
    > of one of the Wireless devices.
    > I.e. even if most of your system might be capable to be configured to the
    > max. with WPA2, but one device is only capable to be configured to max . of
    > WEP, to whole system must be configured to WEP.
    > If you need more good security and one device (like a Wireless card that can
    > do WEP only) is holding better security for the whole Network, replace the
    > device with a better one.
    > Setting Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    > The Core differences between WEP, WPA, and WPA2 -
    > http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Big Ken" wrote in message
    > >I am trying to connect a desktop computer using a enhanced-G USB wirless
    > > adapter and I am recieving the connection showing continulessly
    > > "Validating
    > > Identity" I have the gigabit-N router setup with a 26 digit WEP code. I
    > > there anyway that I can connect this computer without going down to a 10
    > > or
    > > 11 digit code key? I have updated all the XP software downloads and the
    > > latest drivers for the wireless device. My wife has a laptop with XP and
    > > it
    > > is connected perfectly with no issues. th router is connected to a Vista
    > > OS
    > > machine and my laptop with vista has no issues withthe connection. Any
    > > advice that you can give is appriciated.
    > > --
    > > Big Ken

  10. Re: wireless connection "validating Identity"

    wireless connection "validating Identity "validating Identity@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > Hi. I have same problem. I`m tired of looking at message "validating
    > Identity". I`ve followed your advice by step. I downloaded WP2 patch and
    > installed it immediately. But I`m still stuck in problem. Could you explain
    > me how to change WEP to WPA. I`m not computer specialist, just a user. Thank
    > you

    See response bottom posted as should be.

    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> Try to use WPA,
    >> WEP is Not safe, and "Quirky" to begin with.
    >> From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    >> No Security
    >> MAC______(Band Aid if nothing else is available).
    >> WEP64____(Easy, to "Break" by knowledgeable people).
    >> WEP128___(A little Harder, but "Hackable" too).
    >> WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
    >> WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    >> WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
    >> Note 1: WPA-AES the the current entry level rendition of WPA2.
    >> Note 2: If you use WinXP and did not updated it you would have to download
    >> the WPA2 patch from Microsoft. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357
    >> The documentation of your Wireless devices (Wireless Router, and Wireless
    >> Computer's Card) should state the type of security that is available with
    >> your Wireless hardware.
    >> All devices MUST be set to the same security level using the same pass
    >> phrase.
    >> Therefore the security must be set according what ever is the best possible
    >> of one of the Wireless devices.
    >> I.e. even if most of your system might be capable to be configured to the
    >> max. with WPA2, but one device is only capable to be configured to max . of
    >> WEP, to whole system must be configured to WEP.
    >> If you need more good security and one device (like a Wireless card that can
    >> do WEP only) is holding better security for the whole Network, replace the
    >> device with a better one.
    >> Setting Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    >> The Core differences between WEP, WPA, and WPA2 -
    >> http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "Big Ken" wrote in message
    >>> I am trying to connect a desktop computer using a enhanced-G USB wirless
    >>> adapter and I am recieving the connection showing continulessly
    >>> "Validating
    >>> Identity" I have the gigabit-N router setup with a 26 digit WEP code. I
    >>> there anyway that I can connect this computer without going down to a 10
    >>> or
    >>> 11 digit code key? I have updated all the XP software downloads and the
    >>> latest drivers for the wireless device. My wife has a laptop with XP and
    >>> it
    >>> is connected perfectly with no issues. th router is connected to a Vista
    >>> OS
    >>> machine and my laptop with vista has no issues withthe connection. Any
    >>> advice that you can give is appriciated.
    >>> --
    >>> Big Ken

    Not all adapters can do WPA2. In your setup of your PC's wireless,
    what options you have are all you will get. A quick check of you spec
    sheet on the adapter will also tell you. As Jack stated, WEP is bad,
    WPA(any sort) is better. It should be in a scroll down list or radio
    buttons etc. Its vendor different so I can't be specific.

    OT: One other choice if you are using the manufacturers setup software
    is you might try letting windows manage the wireless. Its different
    software. You should have seen maybe a question pop up asking this. It
    did on mine now and then, or there is a check box for it. Its just an
    option if you get flustered with the problem.

+ Reply to Thread