Windows XP & Vista Mixed Network - Wireless

This is a discussion on Windows XP & Vista Mixed Network - Wireless ; We have tried to set-up a home network based around our new Windows Vista desktop machine but have run into some problems. All the machines are wirelessly connected to a Belkin router and can access the internet fine. We have ...

  1. Windows XP & Vista Mixed Network

    We have tried to set-up a home network based around our new Windows Vista
    desktop machine but have run into some problems.

    All the machines are wirelessly connected to a Belkin router and can access
    the internet fine. We have a desktop with Windows Vista that is connected to
    a printer which works fine, however after running the Network set-up wizard
    we cannot file share or print between the Vista desktop and a couple of XP
    laptops.

    Any one know of any good simple online guides for creating a file / print
    sharing network with mixed O.S. machines, especially id they deal with the
    'print server' machine being Vista, and the others being XP.

    TIA

    Neil

  2. Re: Windows XP & Vista Mixed Network

    This how to may help.
    Vista How to
    IPCONFIG and Network Settings · Network Sharing · Manage UAC in Vista
    .... From: Date: 11 Nov 2006 Comments: There are 5 versions of Windows Vista:
    1. ...
    www.howtonetworking.com/vista/vista.htm

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    "Neil" wrote in message
    > We have tried to set-up a home network based around our new Windows Vista
    > desktop machine but have run into some problems.
    >
    > All the machines are wirelessly connected to a Belkin router and can
    > access
    > the internet fine. We have a desktop with Windows Vista that is connected
    > a printer which works fine, however after running the Network set-up
    > wizard
    > we cannot file share or print between the Vista desktop and a couple of XP
    > laptops.
    >
    > Any one know of any good simple online guides for creating a file / print
    > sharing network with mixed O.S. machines, especially id they deal with the
    > 'print server' machine being Vista, and the others being XP.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Neil

  3. Re: Windows XP & Vista Mixed Network

    Hi
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    allowed to be shared.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Windows XP File Sharing -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Neil" wrote in message
    > We have tried to set-up a home network based around our new Windows Vista
    > desktop machine but have run into some problems.
    >
    > All the machines are wirelessly connected to a Belkin router and can
    > access
    > the internet fine. We have a desktop with Windows Vista that is connected
    > a printer which works fine, however after running the Network set-up
    > wizard
    > we cannot file share or print between the Vista desktop and a couple of XP
    > laptops.
    >
    > Any one know of any good simple online guides for creating a file / print
    > sharing network with mixed O.S. machines, especially id they deal with the
    > 'print server' machine being Vista, and the others being XP.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Neil

+ Reply to Thread