will antenna increase speed? - Wireless

This is a discussion on will antenna increase speed? - Wireless ; Greetings all, I have Dell XPS laptop with Vista, AT&T broadband sim card. Is there an external antenna available I could use when I am in a remote area, and not getting a strong signal. Will it help? Thanks, JS...

  1. will antenna increase speed?

    Greetings all,

    I have Dell XPS laptop with Vista, AT&T broadband sim card. Is there an
    external antenna available I could use when I am in a remote area, and not
    getting a strong signal. Will it help?
    Thanks,
    JS

  2. Re: will antenna increase speed?

    No! unhappily the antena just goes amply the area of your transmition,
    nothing elso more, if you want amply your transmition area you need an
    directional antena w/ apmlifiers of signal.
    Ok!

    Paulo M. Oliveira

    "JS" escreveu na mensagem
    > Greetings all,
    >
    > I have Dell XPS laptop with Vista, AT&T broadband sim card. Is there an
    > external antenna available I could use when I am in a remote area, and not
    > getting a strong signal. Will it help?
    > Thanks,
    > JS

  3. Re: will antenna increase speed?

    Paulo Maia wrote:
    > No! unhappily the antena just goes amply the area of your transmition,
    > nothing elso more, if you want amply your transmition area you need an
    > directional antena w/ apmlifiers of signal.
    > Ok!
    >
    > Paulo M. Oliveira
    >

    > "JS" escreveu na mensagem
    >> Greetings all,
    >>
    >> I have Dell XPS laptop with Vista, AT&T broadband sim card. Is there
    >> an external antenna available I could use when I am in a remote area,
    >> and not getting a strong signal. Will it help?
    >> Thanks,
    >> JS

    You turned off spell checker didn't you!

  4. Re: will antenna increase speed?

    On Sep 10, 6:39*pm, "JS" wrote:
    > Greetings all,
    >
    > I have Dell XPS laptop with Vista, AT&T broadband sim card. Is there an
    > external antenna available I could use when I am in a remote area, and not
    > getting a strong signal. Will it help?
    > Thanks,
    > JS

    Antenna does not increase the access speeds. You are describing some
    type of Internet based of a cellphone connection (AT&T broadband sim
    card) aren't you? To increase the access speed, find you closest AT&
    broadcast tower (if AT&T does provide the location.)

  5. Re: will antenna increase speed?

    smlunatick,
    Yes, it is a cell number broadband sim card (AT&T). I have a feeling that
    you are telling me that if the signal isn't very strong, I have to get
    closer to the tower. right? Well, that isn't as practical as what I was
    hoping for. I want to use this laptop at my hunt camp, and not have to drive
    somewhere to work online. I appreciate your help. tho.
    JS
    "smlunatick" wrote in message
    On Sep 10, 6:39 pm, "JS" wrote:
    > Greetings all,
    >
    > I have Dell XPS laptop with Vista, AT&T broadband sim card. Is there an
    > external antenna available I could use when I am in a remote area, and not
    > getting a strong signal. Will it help?
    > Thanks,
    > JS

    Antenna does not increase the access speeds. You are describing some
    type of Internet based of a cellphone connection (AT&T broadband sim
    card) aren't you? To increase the access speed, find you closest AT&
    broadcast tower (if AT&T does provide the location.)

  6. Re: will antenna increase speed?

    On Sep 10, 9:07*pm, "JS" wrote:
    > smlunatick,
    > Yes, it is a cell number broadband sim card (AT&T). *I have a feeling that
    > you are telling me that if the signal isn't very strong, I have to get
    > closer to the tower. right? Well, that isn't as practical as what I was
    > hoping for. I want to use this laptop at my hunt camp, and not have to drive
    > somewhere to work online. I appreciate your help. tho.
    > JS"smlunatick" wrote in message

    > On Sep 10, 6:39 pm, "JS" wrote:
    >
    > > Greetings all,

    > > I have Dell XPS laptop with Vista, AT&T broadband sim card. Is there an
    > > external antenna available I could use when I am in a remote area, and not
    > > getting a strong signal. Will it help?
    > > Thanks,
    > > JS

    > Antenna does not increase the access speeds. *You are describing *some
    > type of Internet based of a cellphone connection (AT&T broadband sim
    > card) aren't you? *To increase the access speed, find you closest AT&
    > broadcast tower (if AT&T does provide the location.)

    Unfortuneately, these "cell" broadband connection "modem" do not allow
    the addition of external, enhanced antennas, unless they were designed
    to accept one. You would have to "hack" it in order to add an antenna
    on a "trial and error" base.

  7. Re: will antenna increase speed?

    Hi
    The answer is Yes and No.
    The Bandwidth of the Wireless connection is also dependent on the Signal
    Strength.
    If the bandwidth is very low as compare to what it has to be, an Antenna
    that improves the reception would provide better bandwidth.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    "JS" wrote in message
    > Greetings all,
    >
    > I have Dell XPS laptop with Vista, AT&T broadband sim card. Is there an
    > external antenna available I could use when I am in a remote area, and not
    > getting a strong signal. Will it help?
    > Thanks,
    > JS

+ Reply to Thread