Network disconnects - Wireless

This is a discussion on Network disconnects - Wireless ; Here is my issue. I have a network set up for my family. Most of the computers are running WinXP. They all play nice together accept when I connect my Vista Laptop to the network. As soon as the laptop ...

  1. Network disconnects

    Here is my issue. I have a network set up for my family. Most of the
    computers are running WinXP. They all play nice together accept when I
    connect my Vista Laptop to the network. As soon as the laptop connects
    and loads completely all other computers have issues staying connected
    to the network, yet the Vista laptop stays connected perfectly. The
    other computers will connect to the network for 1-5 minutes and then
    disconnect for 30 seconds. Then reconnects for 1-5 minutes and
    disconnect for 30 seconds again. This process will repeat itself until
    the vista laptop is shut down.

    So with that said, I know the issue has to do with the way the laptop
    is connecting to my Linksys Wireless G router.

    Has anyone had similar problems? Does anyone have any suggestions on
    how to make all my computers play nicely with each other?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Network disconnects

    Is your Vista SP1?
    --PA

    Esh wrote:
    > Here is my issue. I have a network set up for my family. Most of the
    > computers are running WinXP. They all play nice together accept when I
    > connect my Vista Laptop to the network. As soon as the laptop connects
    > and loads completely all other computers have issues staying connected
    > to the network, yet the Vista laptop stays connected perfectly. The
    > other computers will connect to the network for 1-5 minutes and then
    > disconnect for 30 seconds. Then reconnects for 1-5 minutes and
    > disconnect for 30 seconds again. This process will repeat itself until
    > the vista laptop is shut down.
    >
    > So with that said, I know the issue has to do with the way the laptop
    > is connecting to my Linksys Wireless G router.
    >
    > Has anyone had similar problems? Does anyone have any suggestions on
    > how to make all my computers play nicely with each other?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

  3. Re: Network disconnects

    Yes, it is.

  4. Re: Network disconnects

    Then well... downgrade it to XP.
    Vista appears to be too disruptive technology

    --PA

  5. Re: Network disconnects

    On Sep 11, 1:45*pm, "Pavel A." wrote:
    > Then well... downgrade it to XP.
    > Vista appears to be too disruptive technology
    >
    > --PA

    This does not solve the original problem. You need to know that some
    PCs may never have any XP drivers.

  6. Re: Network disconnects

    smlunatick wrote:
    > On Sep 11, 1:45 pm, "Pavel A." wrote:
    >> Then well... downgrade it to XP.
    >> Vista appears to be too disruptive technology
    >>
    >> --PA

    > This does not solve the original problem. You need to know that some
    > PCs may never have any XP drivers.

    I do know this and, frankly, don't quite believe.
    AFAIK there is no tecnical reason that prevents running XP on today's
    consumer PC platforms.

    Vendors who haven't published XP drivers for their machines yet had had
    enough time and motivation to revise this decision.
    Loyalty to MS is good - but not being loyal to the customer would be end
    of their game.

    Dunno how MS will sort this out - will it be Vista SP2, or R2, Win7, or
    whatever. But Vista didn't cut in. All friends of mine for whom I've
    installed Vista (incl. connecting their hardware and internet), asked
    to reinstall XP.

    The bottom line - Vista is a disruptive technology.
    It isn't a natural upgrade path from XP.
    So, users have three choices: keep XP - or jump either to Vista, or
    Linux. Or trash their PC and buy a Mac.
    Guess what they would prefer.

    --PA

+ Reply to Thread