wi fi not working on laptop? - Wireless

This is a discussion on wi fi not working on laptop? - Wireless ; I have an acer aspire 1642 laptop and the wireless refuses to work. I've re-installed INTEL pro set wireless and the atheros client utilities and it still wont work? The writing is greyed out as if to show theres no ...

  1. wi fi not working on laptop?

    I have an acer aspire 1642 laptop and the wireless refuses to work. I've
    re-installed INTEL pro set wireless and the atheros client utilities and it
    still wont work? The writing is greyed out as if to show theres no wireless
    available in these utilities. I've just fixed the screen on this laptop which
    was very tempermental and sometimes refused to come on and now this? Does
    anyone know what i'm doing wrong and why the wireless is not working? Much
    thanks in advance

  2. Re: wi fi not working on laptop?

    Hi
    Maybe this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    "dizzyd" wrote in message
    >I have an acer aspire 1642 laptop and the wireless refuses to work. I've
    > re-installed INTEL pro set wireless and the atheros client utilities and
    > it
    > still wont work? The writing is greyed out as if to show theres no
    > wireless
    > available in these utilities. I've just fixed the screen on this laptop
    > which
    > was very tempermental and sometimes refused to come on and now this? Does
    > anyone know what i'm doing wrong and why the wireless is not working? Much
    > thanks in advance

  3. Re: wi fi not working on laptop?

    I've been looking at that page and it seems not to help exactly as i have no
    wireless tab at all in network connections. Wheres has this gone how do i get
    it back..? Also on the lan adapter connection tab it lists intel wireless
    connection agent as not installed? I tried to install it but to no avail? The
    Lan adapters working fine though its just the wireless?

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > Maybe this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >
    > "dizzyd" wrote in message
    > >I have an acer aspire 1642 laptop and the wireless refuses to work. I've
    > > re-installed INTEL pro set wireless and the atheros client utilities and
    > > it
    > > still wont work? The writing is greyed out as if to show theres no
    > > wireless
    > > available in these utilities. I've just fixed the screen on this laptop
    > > which
    > > was very tempermental and sometimes refused to come on and now this? Does
    > > anyone know what i'm doing wrong and why the wireless is not working? Much
    > > thanks in advance

  4. Re: wi fi not working on laptop?

    No wireless tab = WZC is not running.
    Back to that site again, here: http://www.ezlan.net/wzc.html

    (advices offered in this NG, often require a couple more,
    on how to follow the first one ... )

    --PA

    dizzyd wrote:
    > I've been looking at that page and it seems not to help exactly as i have no
    > wireless tab at all in network connections. Wheres has this gone how do i get
    > it back..? Also on the lan adapter connection tab it lists intel wireless
    > connection agent as not installed? I tried to install it but to no avail? The
    > Lan adapters working fine though its just the wireless?
    >
    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> Maybe this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    >> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >>
    >> "dizzyd" wrote in message
    >>> I have an acer aspire 1642 laptop and the wireless refuses to work. I've
    >>> re-installed INTEL pro set wireless and the atheros client utilities and
    >>> it
    >>> still wont work? The writing is greyed out as if to show theres no
    >>> wireless
    >>> available in these utilities. I've just fixed the screen on this laptop
    >>> which
    >>> was very tempermental and sometimes refused to come on and now this? Does
    >>> anyone know what i'm doing wrong and why the wireless is not working? Much
    >>> thanks in advance

  5. Re: wi fi not working on laptop?

    dizzyd wrote:
    > I have an acer aspire 1642 laptop and the wireless refuses to work. I've
    > re-installed INTEL pro set wireless and the atheros client utilities and it
    > still wont work? The writing is greyed out as if to show theres no wireless
    > available in these utilities. I've just fixed the screen on this laptop which
    > was very tempermental and sometimes refused to come on and now this? Does
    > anyone know what i'm doing wrong and why the wireless is not working? Much
    > thanks in advance

    So, does this laptop have Intel or Atheros wi-fi adapter?
    PROset won't work with Atheros adapter, and likely v.v.

    Regards,
    --PA

  6. Re: wi fi not working on laptop?

    On Sep 10, 12:33*am, dizzyd wrote:
    > I have an acer aspire 1642 laptop and the wireless refuses to work. I've
    > re-installed INTEL pro set wireless and the atheros client utilities and it
    > still wont work? The writing is greyed out as if to show theres no wireless
    > available in these utilities. I've just fixed the screen on this laptop which
    > was very tempermental and sometimes refused to come on and now this? Does
    > anyone know what i'm doing wrong and why the wireless is not working? Much
    > thanks in advance

    Read the Acer manual (the book or off the web) and check to see if:

    1) You have a wireless adapter
    2) The wireless adapter is turn on (either in the BIOS or a button on
    the "keyboard area.")

    You also should know that Intel and the Atheros clients require a
    compatible wireless adapter. These only work for specific list a
    wireless adapters and are on inter-changable.

  7. Re: wi fi not working on laptop?

    "smlunatick" wrote:

    > On Sep 10, 12:33 am, dizzyd wrote:
    > > I have an acer aspire 1642 laptop and the wireless refuses to work. I've
    > > re-installed INTEL pro set wireless and the atheros client utilities and it
    > > still wont work? The writing is greyed out as if to show theres no wireless
    > > available in these utilities. I've just fixed the screen on this laptop which
    > > was very tempermental and sometimes refused to come on and now this? Does
    > > anyone know what i'm doing wrong and why the wireless is not working? Much
    > > thanks in advance

    > Read the Acer manual (the book or off the web) and check to see if:
    >
    > 1) You have a wireless adapter
    > 2) The wireless adapter is turn on (either in the BIOS or a button on
    > the "keyboard area.")
    >
    > You also should know that Intel and the Atheros clients require a
    > compatible wireless adapter. These only work for specific list a
    > wireless adapters and are on inter-changable.

    I removed Atheros and left intel pro wireless and still no joy. I've checked
    the WZC is running and set to auto and it is. The button on the front of the
    laptop that flashed on and off to enable wireless no longer lights up and
    theres no mention of wifi in the bios?

  8. Re: wi fi not working on laptop?

    On Sep 10, 3:49*pm, dizzyd wrote:
    > "smlunatick" wrote:
    > > On Sep 10, 12:33 am, dizzyd wrote:
    > > > I have an acer aspire 1642 laptop and the wireless refuses to work. I've
    > > > re-installed INTEL pro set wireless and the atheros client utilities and it
    > > > still wont work? The writing is greyed out as if to show theres no wireless
    > > > available in these utilities. I've just fixed the screen on this laptop which
    > > > was very tempermental and sometimes refused to come on and now this? Does
    > > > anyone know what i'm doing wrong and why the wireless is not working?Much
    > > > thanks in advance

    > > Read the Acer manual (the book or off the web) and check to see if:

    > > 1) You have a wireless adapter
    > > 2) The wireless adapter is turn on (either in the BIOS or a button on
    > > the "keyboard area.")

    > > You also should know that Intel and the Atheros clients require a
    > > compatible wireless adapter. *These only work for specific list a
    > > wireless adapters and are on inter-changable.

    > I removed Atheros and left intel pro wireless and still no joy. I've checked
    > the WZC is running and set to auto and it is. The button on the front of the
    > laptop that flashed on and off to enable wireless no longer lights up and
    > theres no mention of wifi in the bios?

    Check in your "Device Manager" so as to see if there is a wireless
    adapter listed. If there is one, then you should have wireless
    network

    If there is none listed, check with the button to see if you can turn
    it back on.

    I need to correct my previous post. Alteros and Intel wireless
    clients are not inter-changeable. Each will only support a "limited"
    number of wireless adapters (the ones that the driver / software is
    written for.)

  9. Re: wi fi not working on laptop?

    So do you see it in Dev. Manager? Could the card be fried up/broken/ not
    seated well?

    --PA

    dizzyd wrote:

    > "smlunatick" wrote:
    >
    >> On Sep 10, 12:33 am, dizzyd wrote:
    >>> I have an acer aspire 1642 laptop and the wireless refuses to work. I've
    >>> re-installed INTEL pro set wireless and the atheros client utilities and it
    >>> still wont work? The writing is greyed out as if to show theres no wireless
    >>> available in these utilities. I've just fixed the screen on this laptop which
    >>> was very tempermental and sometimes refused to come on and now this? Does
    >>> anyone know what i'm doing wrong and why the wireless is not working? Much
    >>> thanks in advance

    >> Read the Acer manual (the book or off the web) and check to see if:
    >>
    >> 1) You have a wireless adapter
    >> 2) The wireless adapter is turn on (either in the BIOS or a button on
    >> the "keyboard area.")
    >>
    >> You also should know that Intel and the Atheros clients require a
    >> compatible wireless adapter. These only work for specific list a
    >> wireless adapters and are on inter-changable.
    >>

    > I removed Atheros and left intel pro wireless and still no joy. I've checked
    > the WZC is running and set to auto and it is. The button on the front of the
    > laptop that flashed on and off to enable wireless no longer lights up and
    > theres no mention of wifi in the bios?

  10. Re: wi fi not working on laptop?

    Theres no wireless adaptor listed in device manager.

    "Pavel A." wrote:

    > So do you see it in Dev. Manager? Could the card be fried up/broken/ not
    > seated well?
    >
    > --PA
    >
    > dizzyd wrote:

    > >> Read the Acer manual (the book or off the web) and check to see if:
    > >>
    > >> 1) You have a wireless adapter
    > >> 2) The wireless adapter is turn on (either in the BIOS or a button on
    > >> the "keyboard area.")
    > >>
    > >> You also should know that Intel and the Atheros clients require a
    > >> compatible wireless adapter. These only work for specific list a
    > >> wireless adapters and are on inter-changable.
    > >>

    > > I removed Atheros and left intel pro wireless and still no joy. I've checked
    > > the WZC is running and set to auto and it is. The button on the front of the
    > > laptop that flashed on and off to enable wireless no longer lights up and
    > > theres no mention of wifi in the bios?

  11. Re: wi fi not working on laptop?

    dizzyd wrote:
    > Theres no wireless adaptor listed in device manager.

    Ok, then see you after this is fixed

    Good luck,
    --PA

    > "Pavel A." wrote:
    >
    >> So do you see it in Dev. Manager? Could the card be fried up/broken/ not
    >> seated well?
    >>
    >> --PA
    >>
    >> dizzyd wrote:

    >>> I removed Atheros and left intel pro wireless and still no joy. I've checked
    >>> the WZC is running and set to auto and it is. The button on the front of the
    >>> laptop that flashed on and off to enable wireless no longer lights up and
    >>> theres no mention of wifi in the bios?

+ Reply to Thread