Network connections - Wireless

This is a discussion on Network connections - Wireless ; I'm connected to internet through the wireless. Every now and again (too -ing often) it comes up with the "Network Connections" selection box. If I cancel the box, it connects OK through the wireless, but how can I stop this ...

  1. Network connections

    I'm connected to internet through the wireless.
    Every now and again (too -ing often) it comes up with the "Network
    Connections" selection box.
    If I cancel the box, it connects OK through the wireless, but how can I stop
    this box coming up all the time?

  2. Re: Network connections

    "Hairyloon" wrote in message
    > I'm connected to internet through the wireless.
    > Every now and again (too -ing often) it comes up with the "Network
    > Connections" selection box.
    > If I cancel the box, it connects OK through the wireless, but how can I
    > stop
    > this box coming up all the time?

    Do you think it would increase your chances of getting help if you happened
    to mention what hardware/software is giving you problems? Hmmmm? Do yah?

  3. Re: Network connections

    > Do you think it would increase your chances of getting help if you happened
    > to mention what hardware/software is giving you problems? Hmmmm? Do yah?

    Well, let me see; this is a Windows XP Newsgroup, what software could I
    possibly be having trouble with?

    So, no. Anyone too dumb to work that out probably isn't bright enough to be
    helpful.

  4. Re: Network connections

    On Sep 9, 9:51*pm, Hairyloon
    wrote:
    > > Do you think it would increase your chances of getting help if you happened
    > > to mention what hardware/software is giving you problems? Hmmmm? *Do yah?

    > Well, let me see; this is a Windows XP Newsgroup, what software could I
    > possibly be having trouble with?
    >
    > So, no. *Anyone too dumb to work that out probably isn't bright enough to be
    > helpful.

    This is not a XP only newsgroup. If you check again, it is listed as
    windows.networking.wireless. This means that the group can have any
    questions from any Windows versions that works with a wireless
    adapter.

    Also, there are 3 major versions of XP

    2) Pro
    3) Media Centre Edition

  5. Re: Network connections

    > This is not a XP only newsgroup. If you check again, it is listed as
    > windows.networking.wireless.

    Sorry, but on here it is listed as Windows XP Newsgroups -> Wireless
    Networking.

    > Also, there are 3 major versions of XP

    > 2) Pro
    > 3) Media Centre Edition

    And any sensible software designer would set the controls to work in a
    similar way for all versions.

  6. Re: Network connections

    Hairyloon wrote:
    > I'm connected to internet through the wireless.
    > Every now and again (too -ing often) it comes up with the "Network
    > Connections" selection box.
    > If I cancel the box, it connects OK through the wireless, but how can I stop
    > this box coming up all the time?

    You seem to have started off on the wrong foot. Why not start over and
    be a little bit more specific about what you are doing when "it" comes
    up with a "selection box," as well as what "selection box" you are
    talking about. Do you mean this one:
    http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/scr...ks/Index.shtml

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

  7. Re: Network connections

    On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 13:51:01 -0700, Hairyloon
    wrote:

    >Well, let me see; this is a Windows XP Newsgroup, what software could I
    >possibly be having trouble with?

    WRONG! This is a WINDOWS.networking newsgroup...not just for XP!

  8. Re: Network connections

    On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 14:52:14 -0700, Hairyloon
    wrote:

    >> This is not a XP only newsgroup. If you check again, it is listed as
    >> windows.networking.wireless.

    >Sorry, but on here it is listed as Windows XP Newsgroups -> Wireless
    >Networking.
    >>
    >> Also, there are 3 major versions of XP

    >> 2) Pro
    >> 3) Media Centre Edition
    >>

    >And any sensible software designer would set the controls to work in a
    >similar way for all versions.

    Well, I've never met a sensible software designer.... I wonder if
    anyone else has?

    --
    Charlie Hoffpauir

  9. Re: Network connections

    Hi
    Could be that there is few entries in the preferred Wireless Network that as
    good, or better than your private connection.
    Clean up the list and check the configuration Boxes to fit your settings.
    http://www.ezlan.net/wireless/wzc3.jpg
    Connect to your Network, secure it and make sure that it is at top of the
    preferred list.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    "Hairyloon" wrote in message
    > I'm connected to internet through the wireless.
    > Every now and again (too -ing often) it comes up with the "Network
    > Connections" selection box.
    > If I cancel the box, it connects OK through the wireless, but how can I
    > stop
    > this box coming up all the time?

  10. Re: Network connections

    > You seem to have started off on the wrong foot. Why not start over and
    > be a little bit more specific about what you are doing when "it" comes

    "It" being windoze. What am I doing? Anything involving the internet.

    > up with a "selection box," as well as what "selection box" you are
    > talking about. Do you mean this one:
    > http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/scr...ks/Index.shtml

    Not that box, no. I would describe that as a "Wireless Network Connection"
    box, or possibly "Choose a wireless network".
    This thing keeps wanting to dial up on a modem.
    http://www.wooduthink.com/images/networkbox.JPG

  11. Re: Network connections

    Hairyloon wrote:
    >> You seem to have started off on the wrong foot. Why not start over and
    >> be a little bit more specific about what you are doing when "it" comes

    > "It" being windoze. What am I doing? Anything involving the internet.
    >
    >> up with a "selection box," as well as what "selection box" you are
    >> talking about. Do you mean this one:
    >> http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/scr...ks/Index.shtml

    > Not that box, no. I would describe that as a "Wireless Network Connection"
    > box, or possibly "Choose a wireless network".
    > This thing keeps wanting to dial up on a modem.
    > http://www.wooduthink.com/images/networkbox.JPG

    I'm still guessing because of the substantial amount of information
    you've left out, but that screenshot looks like Vista to me and I don't
    do Vista. However, when something like this pops up (does it pop up
    even when you are connected via your wireless router?) it's because
    there's an application that's attempting to connect through a non-active
    connection.

    What did you change just before this behavior started?

    - Do you have AOL? If so, disable the AOL dialer.
    - Does this happen only when running Internet Explorer? Which version? -
    - Look at Internet Options > Connections and make sure that "never dial
    a connection" is selected.
    - Did you install a Bluetooth phone or something similar?

    If you can't fix things using the above suggestions, I suggest starting
    a new thread with a more descriptive title and more information in the
    body. See "How to ask a question" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

  12. Re: Network connections

    > I'm still guessing because of the substantial amount of information
    > you've left out, but that screenshot looks like Vista to me and I don't
    > do Vista.

    I don't blame you. It's not Vista.

    >However, when something like this pops up (does it pop up
    > even when you are connected via your wireless router?) it's because
    > there's an application that's attempting to connect through a non-active
    > connection.

    I would expect it to pop up when I'm not connected to the wireless router.
    It is looking for an internet connection. It has a connection through the
    router. It is my guess that it is simply being impatient.

    > What did you change just before this behavior started?

    It is a different router, but I think I had similar problems before as well.

    > - Do you have AOL? If so, disable the AOL dialer.

    Ah. I've heard AOL software is very persistent. I think I've removed the
    AOL, but you can never be sure...

    > - Does this happen only when running Internet Explorer? Which version? -

    Web browsing or email. Doesn't matter which programme.

    > - Look at Internet Options > Connections and make sure that "never dial
    > a connection" is selected.

    I think that might well sort it out. Thank you. Simple and obvious. And
    if I'mnot mistaken, pretty much the same in every version of windows.

    See I knew I'd given you enough information in the first place.
    Thanks again.

+ Reply to Thread