Unable to share with Apple Desktop - Wireless

This is a discussion on Unable to share with Apple Desktop - Wireless ; I have an iMac (10 mos. old with intel and airport extreme). A D-link wireless router is connected to this desktop. The 5 yr old laptop runs Windows XP sp3. I have no problem connecting to the internet thru the ...

  1. Unable to share with Apple Desktop

    I have an iMac (10 mos. old with intel and airport extreme). A D-link
    wireless router is connected to this desktop. The 5 yr old laptop runs
    Windows XP sp3. I have no problem connecting to the internet thru the router.
    However, I am unable to share files or printers. The Apple "sees" the laptop,
    (the laptop name shows up on the Finder) but I can't connect. I've tried the
    Go To command with the correct IP address of the laptop. It's worse on the
    laptop. The Apple does not appear at all in the windows explorer, network
    connections etc. I've turned on file & printer sharing on both computers
    (incl using smb on the Apple). I can't use the network setup wizard since it
    won't work with Leopard and the router does not have a USB port. I tried
    disabling windows firewall. The laptop has intel pro/wireless LAN 2100
    wireless adapter. The printer is HP.

    Why is it difficult to connect Apples & PC's ?

    Any help is much appreciated

  2. Re: Unable to share with Apple Desktop

    Hi
    Maybe this can Help.
    http://video.about.com/macs/PC-Mac-2...le-Sharing.htm
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    "Billybob" wrote in message
    >I have an iMac (10 mos. old with intel and airport extreme). A D-link
    > wireless router is connected to this desktop. The 5 yr old laptop runs
    > Windows XP sp3. I have no problem connecting to the internet thru the
    > router.
    > However, I am unable to share files or printers. The Apple "sees" the
    > laptop,
    > (the laptop name shows up on the Finder) but I can't connect. I've tried
    > the
    > Go To command with the correct IP address of the laptop. It's worse on the
    > laptop. The Apple does not appear at all in the windows explorer, network
    > connections etc. I've turned on file & printer sharing on both computers
    > (incl using smb on the Apple). I can't use the network setup wizard since
    > it
    > won't work with Leopard and the router does not have a USB port. I tried
    > disabling windows firewall. The laptop has intel pro/wireless LAN 2100
    > wireless adapter. The printer is HP.
    >
    > Why is it difficult to connect Apples & PC's ?
    >
    > Any help is much appreciated

+ Reply to Thread