Who manages my wireless adapter if not WZC? - Wireless

This is a discussion on Who manages my wireless adapter if not WZC? - Wireless ; Is there a short and sure way of finding out what process owns wireless adapter? We think that on XP it will either be WZC service or 3rd party wireless profile application. Can I query wireless device/adapter and find out? ...

  1. Who manages my wireless adapter if not WZC?

    Is there a short and sure way of finding out what process owns wireless
    adapter? We think that on XP it will either be WZC service or 3rd party
    wireless profile application. Can I query wireless device/adapter and find
    out?

    If someone could please point me to the right direction with this * that
    will be much appreciated.

    Thanks!!

  2. Re: Who manages my wireless adapter if not WZC?

    Gennady Wexler" wrote in message
    > Is there a short and sure way of finding out what process owns wireless
    > adapter? We think that on XP it will either be WZC service or 3rd party
    > wireless profile application.

    1. Open the "show wireless netrworks" GUI. If it opens and shows the scan
    list, it manages the adapter.
    If it says "cannot manage this adapter" or WZC isn't running - it obviously
    doesn't.

    2. Open properties of the adapter, Wireless tab, see if the checkbox "Let
    Windows manage this adapter" is checked.

    > Can I query wireless device/adapter and find
    > out?

    You can use the WLAN API to find if WZC manages the adapter.
    But it queries WZC, not the adapter.

    --PA

  3. Re: Who manages my wireless adapter if not WZC?

    Thank you Pavel for your response, but I meant to ask a programmatic way of
    doing that, without having any user intervention to this.

    I am able to find out whether WZC is managing my adapter, what I need to
    find out who does if WZC isnt doing it - that is exactly which other 3rd
    party manager, application, process etc is in charge of wireless
    connectivity management.

    On 06/09/2008 15:17, in article u05rMuCEJHA.4824@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl,
    "Pavel A." wrote:

    > Gennady Wexler" wrote in message
    >> Is there a short and sure way of finding out what process owns wireless
    >> adapter? We think that on XP it will either be WZC service or 3rd party
    >> wireless profile application.

    > 1. Open the "show wireless netrworks" GUI. If it opens and shows the scan
    > list, it manages the adapter.
    > If it says "cannot manage this adapter" or WZC isn't running - it obviously
    > doesn't.
    >
    > 2. Open properties of the adapter, Wireless tab, see if the checkbox "Let
    > Windows manage this adapter" is checked.
    >
    >> Can I query wireless device/adapter and find
    >> out?

    > You can use the WLAN API to find if WZC manages the adapter.
    > But it queries WZC, not the adapter.
    >
    > --PA

  4. Re: Who manages my wireless adapter if not WZC?

    Ok then WLAN API (the WinXP subset of it) is your friend.

    Docum:

    MSDN forums:
    http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/Sho...=1701&SiteID=1
    http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/Sho...=1700&SiteID=1

    Good luck,
    --PA

    > Thank you Pavel for your response, but I meant to ask a programmatic way
    > of
    > doing that, without having any user intervention to this.
    >
    > I am able to find out whether WZC is managing my adapter, what I need to
    > find out who does if WZC isnt doing it - that is exactly which other 3rd
    > party manager, application, process etc is in charge of wireless
    > connectivity management.
    >
    > On 06/09/2008 15:17, in article u05rMuCEJHA.4824@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl,
    > "Pavel A." wrote:
    >
    >> Gennady Wexler" wrote in message
    >>> Is there a short and sure way of finding out what process owns wireless
    >>> adapter? We think that on XP it will either be WZC service or 3rd party
    >>> wireless profile application.

    >> 1. Open the "show wireless netrworks" GUI. If it opens and shows the
    >> scan
    >> list, it manages the adapter.
    >> If it says "cannot manage this adapter" or WZC isn't running - it
    >> obviously
    >> doesn't.
    >>
    >> 2. Open properties of the adapter, Wireless tab, see if the checkbox "Let
    >> Windows manage this adapter" is checked.
    >>
    >>> Can I query wireless device/adapter and find
    >>> out?

    >> You can use the WLAN API to find if WZC manages the adapter.
    >> But it queries WZC, not the adapter.
    >>
    >> --PA

  5. Re: Who manages my wireless adapter if not WZC?

    None of that works if WZC service is turned off or sub'ed by a 3rd party
    managing provider though.

    So those references to APIs are of no help here.

    Do you have a code example that does what I need to do by any chance?

    On 06/09/2008 15:44, in article ei5rZ9CEJHA.4584@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
    "Pavel A." wrote:

    > Ok then WLAN API (the WinXP subset of it) is your friend.
    >
    > Docum:
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...63(VS.85).aspx
    >
    > MSDN forums:
    > http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/Sho...=1701&SiteID=1
    > http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/Sho...=1700&SiteID=1
    >
    > Good luck,
    > --PA
    >

    > "Gennady Wexler" wrote in message
    >> Thank you Pavel for your response, but I meant to ask a programmatic way
    >> of
    >> doing that, without having any user intervention to this.

  6. Re: Who manages my wireless adapter if not WZC?

    Then it is even simpler. If WZC is turned off, you already know that it is
    not managing the device

    Or I'm aftraid I don't understand your goal.

    --PA

    > None of that works if WZC service is turned off or sub'ed by a 3rd party
    > managing provider though.
    >
    > So those references to APIs are of no help here.
    >
    > Do you have a code example that does what I need to do by any chance?
    >
    > On 06/09/2008 15:44, in article ei5rZ9CEJHA.4584@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
    > "Pavel A." wrote:
    >
    >> Ok then WLAN API (the WinXP subset of it) is your friend.
    >>
    >> Docum:
    >> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...63(VS.85).aspx
    >>
    >> MSDN forums:
    >> http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/Sho...=1701&SiteID=1
    >> http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/Sho...=1700&SiteID=1
    >>
    >> Good luck,
    >> --PA
    >>

    >> "Gennady Wexler" wrote in message
    >>> Thank you Pavel for your response, but I meant to ask a programmatic way
    >>> of
    >>> doing that, without having any user intervention to this.

  7. Re: Who manages my wireless adapter if not WZC?

    I need to know who is managing wireless connection if not WZC. We can have
    3rd party wireless networking (profiles) configuration/managing solutions,
    almost any wireless card provider supplies one for their hardware.

    What I need to do, is walk in and tell customer - hey, we need to you turn
    off/uninstall "such and such" application so that WZC can then be restored
    to manage your wireless connection. With that, we auto setup wireless
    profiles via WZC APIs and off we go.

    Let me know if you have any further questions with this?

    On 06/09/2008 17:32, in article #CjUW7DEJHA.1272@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
    "Pavel A." wrote:

    > Then it is even simpler. If WZC is turned off, you already know that it is
    > not managing the device
    >
    > Or I'm aftraid I don't understand your goal.
    >
    > --PA
    >

    > "Gennady Wexler" wrote in message
    >> None of that works if WZC service is turned off or sub'ed by a 3rd party
    >> managing provider though.

  8. Re: Who manages my wireless adapter if not WZC?

    Well, what can be done:
    - ensure that WZC is not disabled and is properly set up.
    - check that user has SP3 or needed wi-fi KB patches.
    - check that WZC is enabled to manage all wireless adapters (use the API
    for this).
    - enable WZC logging to see how it works (described in some KB)
    - get list of installed apps and list of running apps.

    But I don't know easy way to check that a 3rd party app doesn't hijack
    adapter from wzc,
    or that 3rd party app doesn't call WZC API to drive the connection.

    If you are an organisation, can you simply install wi-fi on user machines
    and prohibit them
    by policy to install their own stuff.

    --PA

    > I need to know who is managing wireless connection if not WZC. We can have
    > 3rd party wireless networking (profiles) configuration/managing solutions,
    > almost any wireless card provider supplies one for their hardware.
    >
    > What I need to do, is walk in and tell customer - hey, we need to you turn
    > off/uninstall "such and such" application so that WZC can then be restored
    > to manage your wireless connection. With that, we auto setup wireless
    > profiles via WZC APIs and off we go.
    >
    > Let me know if you have any further questions with this?
    >
    > On 06/09/2008 17:32, in article #CjUW7DEJHA.1272@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
    > "Pavel A." wrote:
    >
    >> Then it is even simpler. If WZC is turned off, you already know that it
    >> is
    >> not managing the device
    >>
    >> Or I'm aftraid I don't understand your goal.
    >>
    >> --PA
    >>

    >> "Gennady Wexler" wrote in message
    >>> None of that works if WZC service is turned off or sub'ed by a 3rd party
    >>> managing provider though.

  9. Re: Who manages my wireless adapter if not WZC?

    Hi
    WZC runs a process and so are most 3rd party vendor utilities.
    Maybe this can Help, http://www.freevbcode.com/ShowCode.asp?ID=5166
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    "Gennady Wexler" wrote in message
    > Is there a short and sure way of finding out what process owns wireless
    > adapter? We think that on XP it will either be WZC service or 3rd party
    > wireless profile application. Can I query wireless device/adapter and find
    > out?
    >
    > If someone could please point me to the right direction with this * that
    > will be much appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks!!

  10. Re: Who manages my wireless adapter if not WZC?

    We are not having any control over customer based OS installations and
    applications installed on their machine. We deploy a service on individual
    basis.

    Nor WZC or wifi lan apis going to work here, since we know that WZC service
    is not going to be running, if we have a 3rd party solution managing
    wireless connectivity.

    A theory goes that when a 3rd party process holds access lock on the
    wireless device, we should be able to/(could) know what that process is, and
    be able to offer to the user an option to handle that exceptional case.

    The only scenario we don't have covered is like this: user chooses to
    install our solution, we come in and sniff that WZC is not running - then
    who is it running the show? And tell that to the user.

    It is often the case that users have no idea what that is either if they got
    their computer stocked with preinstalled and preconfigured software.

    On 06/09/2008 20:04, in article #l8RvOFEJHA.3844@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl,
    "Pavel A." wrote:

    > Well, what can be done:
    > - ensure that WZC is not disabled and is properly set up.
    > - check that user has SP3 or needed wi-fi KB patches.
    > - check that WZC is enabled to manage all wireless adapters (use the API
    > for this).
    > - enable WZC logging to see how it works (described in some KB)
    > - get list of installed apps and list of running apps.
    >
    > But I don't know easy way to check that a 3rd party app doesn't hijack
    > adapter from wzc,
    > or that 3rd party app doesn't call WZC API to drive the connection.
    >
    > If you are an organisation, can you simply install wi-fi on user machines
    > and prohibit them
    > by policy to install their own stuff.
    >
    > --PA

    "Gennady Wexler" wrote in message
    > I need to know who is managing wireless connection if not WZC. We can have
    > 3rd party wireless networking (profiles) configuration/managing solutions,
    > almost any wireless card provider supplies one for their hardware.

  11. Re: Who manages my wireless adapter if not WZC?

    The problem is how to find out which is it the 3rd party vendor process is
    running and holding control over the wireless connectivity/profiles
    management.

    Once we know the process name (at least), we can manage it (stop if its a
    service, terminate/ask user to close it, etc).

    On 06/09/2008 20:07, in article elHyfPFEJHA.5004@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl, "Jack
    (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > WZC runs a process and so are most 3rd party vendor utilities.
    > Maybe this can Help, http://www.freevbcode.com/ShowCode.asp?ID=5166
    > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >
    > "Gennady Wexler" wrote in message
    >> Is there a short and sure way of finding out what process owns wireless
    >> adapter? We think that on XP it will either be WZC service or 3rd party
    >> wireless profile application. Can I query wireless device/adapter and find
    >> out?
    >>
    >> If someone could please point me to the right direction with this * that
    >> will be much appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks!!

  12. Re: Who manages my wireless adapter if not WZC?

    AFAIK there is no any "access locks" on wireless adapters.

    But ... "the market pays for solutions to gnarly problems, not solutions to
    easy problems"

    Good luck,
    --PA

    > We are not having any control over customer based OS installations and
    > applications installed on their machine. We deploy a service on individual
    > basis.
    >
    > Nor WZC or wifi lan apis going to work here, since we know that WZC
    > service
    > is not going to be running, if we have a 3rd party solution managing
    > wireless connectivity.
    >
    > A theory goes that when a 3rd party process holds access lock on the
    > wireless device, we should be able to/(could) know what that process is,
    > and
    > be able to offer to the user an option to handle that exceptional case.
    >
    > The only scenario we don't have covered is like this: user chooses to
    > install our solution, we come in and sniff that WZC is not running - then
    > who is it running the show? And tell that to the user.
    >
    > It is often the case that users have no idea what that is either if they
    > got
    > their computer stocked with preinstalled and preconfigured software.
    >

    > On 06/09/2008 20:04, in article #l8RvOFEJHA.3844@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl,
    > "Pavel A." wrote:
    >
    >> Well, what can be done:
    >> - ensure that WZC is not disabled and is properly set up.
    >> - check that user has SP3 or needed wi-fi KB patches.
    >> - check that WZC is enabled to manage all wireless adapters (use the API
    >> for this).
    >> - enable WZC logging to see how it works (described in some KB)
    >> - get list of installed apps and list of running apps.
    >>
    >> But I don't know easy way to check that a 3rd party app doesn't hijack
    >> adapter from wzc,
    >> or that 3rd party app doesn't call WZC API to drive the connection.
    >>
    >> If you are an organisation, can you simply install wi-fi on user machines
    >> and prohibit them
    >> by policy to install their own stuff.
    >>
    >> --PA

    > "Gennady Wexler" wrote in message
    >> I need to know who is managing wireless connection if not WZC. We can
    >> have
    >> 3rd party wireless networking (profiles) configuration/managing
    >> solutions,
    >> almost any wireless card provider supplies one for their hardware.

  13. Re: Who manages my wireless adapter if not WZC?

    Are you saying that more than one managing solution can access wireless
    adapter at the same time? E.g. A 3rd party and WZC?

    I believe you are wrong then, as there can be only one provider at any given
    time.

    On 06/09/2008 22:14, in article #FcO$dGEJHA.5600@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl,
    "Pavel A." wrote:

    > AFAIK there is no any "access locks" on wireless adapters.
    >
    > But ... "the market pays for solutions to gnarly problems, not solutions to
    > easy problems"
    > http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2007/12/06.html

  14. Re: Who manages my wireless adapter if not WZC?

    > Are you saying that more than one managing solution can access wireless
    > adapter at the same time? E.g. A 3rd party and WZC?
    >
    > I believe you are wrong then, as there can be only one provider at any
    > given
    > time.

    Nope you are wrong believing that only one provider can access, especially
    in XP. Since most of the 3rd party solutions have to add a psuedo protocol
    driver to gain access and there is no limit to the number of protocol
    drivers bound to the miniport, there can be a lot of providers access the
    adapter at the same time and overwriting each other. The only thing they
    really need to watch out for is that they did not use the same "toolkit" for
    the protocol layer and did not change the protocol driver's file system
    object name.

    The way that problem has been solved by others is brute force enumeration of
    known solutions... that is: Intel has process/EXE intelxxx.exe, Broadcom has
    process/exe bwlxxx.exe, etc.

    Phil

  15. Re: Who manages my wireless adapter if not WZC?

    Could you please give some pointers on the mentioned below pseudo protocol
    driver (to again access). Are there examples of how that's done?

    On 07/09/2008 12:26, in article IROwk.26395$Ri.8915@flpi146.ffdc.sbc.com,
    "Philip Doragh" wrote:
    > Since most of the 3rd party solutions have to add a psuedo protocol
    > driver to gain access and there is no limit to the number of protocol
    > drivers bound to the miniport, there can be a lot of providers access the
    > adapter at the same time and overwriting each other. The only thing they
    > really need to watch out for is that they did not use the same "toolkit" for
    > the protocol layer and did not change the protocol driver's file system
    > object name.

  16. Re: Who manages my wireless adapter if not WZC?

    > Could you please give some pointers on the mentioned below pseudo protocol
    > driver (to again access). Are there examples of how that's done?

    Ok, these are not pseudo, technically these are normal NDIS protocol
    drivers.
    NDIS doesn't impose any priority or interlocking among such protocol
    drivers.
    So several protocols can attach to one wi-fi miniport.
    One example is the WZC's own ndisuio.sys (some folks use it thru
    undocumented interfaces).
    But it it easy to write your own, based on WDK sample code or commercial
    toolkits from pcausa.com.

    Some wi-fi drivers know who controls them: wzc (or compatible) or their own
    utility,
    and can detect interference. Centrino drivers behave this way, for example.

    Looks like you're up to some research work before jumping into the
    business...

    --PA

    > On 07/09/2008 12:26, in article IROwk.26395$Ri.8915@flpi146.ffdc.sbc.com,
    > "Philip Doragh" wrote:
    >> Since most of the 3rd party solutions have to add a psuedo protocol
    >> driver to gain access and there is no limit to the number of protocol
    >> drivers bound to the miniport, there can be a lot of providers access the
    >> adapter at the same time and overwriting each other. The only thing they
    >> really need to watch out for is that they did not use the same "toolkit"
    >> for
    >> the protocol layer and did not change the protocol driver's file system
    >> object name.

  17. Re: Who manages my wireless adapter if not WZC?

    Thanks again Pavel, this is good info!

    I am not so much interested in writing a driver at this point, but would of
    liked to know how I can query system to find out which drivers are present
    on the system that are involved with wireless adapter - that will definitely
    put me on the right path. Do I look at INetCfg for that?

    On 07/09/2008 19:47, in article eJ1u#pREJHA.4304@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
    "Pavel A." wrote:

    > "Gennady Wexler" wrote in message
    >> Could you please give some pointers on the mentioned below pseudo protocol
    >> driver (to again access). Are there examples of how that's done?

    > Ok, these are not pseudo, technically these are normal NDIS protocol
    > drivers.
    > NDIS doesn't impose any priority or interlocking among such protocol
    > drivers.
    > So several protocols can attach to one wi-fi miniport.
    > One example is the WZC's own ndisuio.sys (some folks use it thru
    > undocumented interfaces).
    > But it it easy to write your own, based on WDK sample code or commercial
    > toolkits from pcausa.com.
    >
    > Some wi-fi drivers know who controls them: wzc (or compatible) or their own
    > utility,
    > and can detect interference. Centrino drivers behave this way, for example.
    >
    > Looks like you're up to some research work before jumping into the
    > business...
    >
    > --PA

  18. Re: Who manages my wireless adapter if not WZC?

    > Thanks again Pavel, this is good info!
    >
    > I am not so much interested in writing a driver at this point, but would
    > of
    > liked to know how I can query system to find out which drivers are present
    > on the system that are involved with wireless adapter - that will
    > definitely
    > put me on the right path. Do I look at INetCfg for that?

    INetCfg manages static bindings. But it is also possible to bind protocol to
    miniport
    dynamically, without INetCfg.
    Perhaps at this step of your research, you look for a consultant to help
    with detailed design of your solution.

    --PA

+ Reply to Thread