no wireless connection - Wireless

This is a discussion on no wireless connection - Wireless ; My wireless laptop and desktop are wireless enabled and were connecting fine for months to the internet connection. However, both my pc's now show that they ARE connected to the internet, but we can't get online. My deskptop says that ...

  1. no wireless connection

    My wireless laptop and desktop are wireless enabled and were connecting fine
    for months to the internet connection. However, both my pc's now show that
    they ARE connected to the internet, but we can't get online. My deskptop
    says that it IS connected to the access point but NOT the internet
    (obviously because we cant get online).

    SInce my roomate has the modem in her room and is out of town (she locks her
    door), I can't get in there to try anything. But, I don't think that
    anything was changed on the modem becasue she has been gone for 10 days, and
    just the last 4 days, this has been going on.

    SO, why does it show that the pc's ARE connected but we cant get on the
    internet. the little pc icon on the task bar is 'lit' up as it should.
    Usually, when one cant log on to the internet, it has a red X on the icon
    pc.
    Maybe you have some tips i can do on my end. SHe will be gone for 2 more
    weeks so hopefully I can 'fix' this issue sooner.

    T.I.Advance

  2. Re: no wireless connection

    There is nothing to do "on the modem" other then power-off/power-on.

    1. If you machines are validly connected to the Wireless Access
    Point,...then your machine's wireless componenets are *fine*. There is
    nothing else to do there.

    2. If you machines are getting a correct IP Config from the DHCP service of
    the "router",...then that is *fine*. There is nothing else to do there.
    This can be validated by opening a Command Prompt off of the Start Menu and
    running the simple command "IPCONFIG" and hit Enter. Most likely the IP
    Number returned will begin with "192.168".

    But if it begins with "169" then it is not working. Reset the router
    (power-off, power-on). The "router" and the Wireless Access Point may both
    be built into the same "device". Also sometimes the "router", the Wireless
    Access Point, and the "modem" are all built into the same device. Anyway,
    if you have any of these devices locked in the other room,...see the fun
    excitement of #2 below...:-)

    So I think:

    1. The Internet connection may just be "down". Call the ISP.

    2. Maybe the "modem" just needs a kick in the rearend by powering-off then
    powering-on. Can't get in the room? No problem,...find the electrical
    breaker box :-),..find the one for that room and flip it off then back on.
    Can't find the right breaker? No problem, flip the Master Breaker at the
    top on and off. The modem will definitley power off and back on :-)

    I am assuming this is a house or apartment with its own separate power.
    Schools may frown on your killing power to the whole dorm building.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    "MR" wrote in message
    > My wireless laptop and desktop are wireless enabled and were connecting
    > fine for months to the internet connection. However, both my pc's now show
    > that they ARE connected to the internet, but we can't get online. My
    > deskptop says that it IS connected to the access point but NOT the
    > internet (obviously because we cant get online).
    >
    > SInce my roomate has the modem in her room and is out of town (she locks
    > her door), I can't get in there to try anything. But, I don't think that
    > anything was changed on the modem becasue she has been gone for 10 days,
    > and just the last 4 days, this has been going on.
    >
    > SO, why does it show that the pc's ARE connected but we cant get on the
    > internet. the little pc icon on the task bar is 'lit' up as it should.
    > Usually, when one cant log on to the internet, it has a red X on the icon
    > pc.
    > Maybe you have some tips i can do on my end. SHe will be gone for 2 more
    > weeks so hopefully I can 'fix' this issue sooner.
    >
    > T.I.Advance

  3. Re: no wireless connection

    Wow, you gave me some great advice. I really loved plan #2. I did the
    breaker thing and I still have the problem. I looked in the comand prompt
    and I could see the # 192.168.1.5>> I am using dial up right now and it
    shows I am connected to both my dial up and wireless connection at the same
    time (BUT really , I am not connected to wireless-so obvious, due to turtle
    like speeds with dial up)....
    I guess its probably the service which I will have to see they can give me
    info.
    I remember this happening several months ago but it losted only one day and
    somehow it fixed itself.
    Well if there is nothing left to try, I will just keep trying your tips and
    hope it fixes soon or maybe keep using dial up til she gets back...ugh.
    THanks lots, Phillip

    **Curious question: Once this internet thing gets fixed with wireless, what
    would happen if I am connected to wireless and click so that I can connect
    to dial up at the same time. Is it possible to be connected to both dial up
    and wireless at the same time and what if anything happens? Just wondering**

    "Phillip Windell" wrote in message
    > There is nothing to do "on the modem" other then power-off/power-on.
    >
    > 1. If you machines are validly connected to the Wireless Access
    > Point,...then your machine's wireless componenets are *fine*. There is
    > nothing else to do there.
    >
    > 2. If you machines are getting a correct IP Config from the DHCP service
    > of the "router",...then that is *fine*. There is nothing else to do
    > there. This can be validated by opening a Command Prompt off of the Start
    > Menu and running the simple command "IPCONFIG" and hit Enter. Most likely
    > the IP Number returned will begin with "192.168".
    >
    > But if it begins with "169" then it is not working. Reset the router
    > (power-off, power-on). The "router" and the Wireless Access Point may
    > both be built into the same "device". Also sometimes the "router", the
    > Wireless Access Point, and the "modem" are all built into the same device.
    > Anyway, if you have any of these devices locked in the other room,...see
    > the fun excitement of #2 below...:-)
    >
    > So I think:
    >
    > 1. The Internet connection may just be "down". Call the ISP.
    >
    > 2. Maybe the "modem" just needs a kick in the rearend by powering-off then
    > powering-on. Can't get in the room? No problem,...find the electrical
    > breaker box :-),..find the one for that room and flip it off then back on.
    > Can't find the right breaker? No problem, flip the Master Breaker at the
    > top on and off. The modem will definitley power off and back on :-)
    >
    > I am assuming this is a house or apartment with its own separate power.
    > Schools may frown on your killing power to the whole dorm building.
    >
    > --
    > Phillip Windell
    > www.wandtv.com
    >
    > The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or
    > Microsoft,
    >
    > "MR" wrote in message
    >> My wireless laptop and desktop are wireless enabled and were connecting
    >> fine for months to the internet connection. However, both my pc's now
    >> show that they ARE connected to the internet, but we can't get online. My
    >> deskptop says that it IS connected to the access point but NOT the
    >> internet (obviously because we cant get online).
    >>
    >> SInce my roomate has the modem in her room and is out of town (she locks
    >> her door), I can't get in there to try anything. But, I don't think that
    >> anything was changed on the modem becasue she has been gone for 10 days,
    >> and just the last 4 days, this has been going on.
    >>
    >> SO, why does it show that the pc's ARE connected but we cant get on the
    >> internet. the little pc icon on the task bar is 'lit' up as it should.
    >> Usually, when one cant log on to the internet, it has a red X on the icon
    >> pc.
    >> Maybe you have some tips i can do on my end. SHe will be gone for 2 more
    >> weeks so hopefully I can 'fix' this issue sooner.
    >>
    >> T.I.Advance

  4. Re: no wireless connection

    Hi
    Log to the Router's menus (manual should explain how) an check the WAN port
    status.
    If there is No Valid WAN external IP you need an access to the Modem to make
    sure that it is working.
    I.e., there is Nothing that you can do if the Router does not get feed from
    the modem.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    "MR" wrote in message
    > My wireless laptop and desktop are wireless enabled and were connecting
    > fine for months to the internet connection. However, both my pc's now show
    > that they ARE connected to the internet, but we can't get online. My
    > deskptop says that it IS connected to the access point but NOT the
    > internet (obviously because we cant get online).
    >
    > SInce my roomate has the modem in her room and is out of town (she locks
    > her door), I can't get in there to try anything. But, I don't think that
    > anything was changed on the modem becasue she has been gone for 10 days,
    > and just the last 4 days, this has been going on.
    >
    > SO, why does it show that the pc's ARE connected but we cant get on the
    > internet. the little pc icon on the task bar is 'lit' up as it should.
    > Usually, when one cant log on to the internet, it has a red X on the icon
    > pc.
    > Maybe you have some tips i can do on my end. SHe will be gone for 2 more
    > weeks so hopefully I can 'fix' this issue sooner.
    >
    > T.I.Advance

  5. Re: no wireless connection

    "MR" wrote in message
    > **Curious question: Once this internet thing gets fixed with wireless,
    > what would happen if I am connected to wireless and click so that I can
    > connect to dial up at the same time. Is it possible to be connected to
    > both dial up and wireless at the same time and what if anything happens?
    > Just wondering**

    The dialup will over ride the other because it will automatically make
    itself the default gateway of the machine,...hence,..you will be using the
    dialup.

    It is not uncommon for an active dialup connection to disrupt other LAN
    communication when the machine is connected to a LAN, and you are on a LAN
    (wired -vs- wireless is irrelevant). That is why dialup should only be
    activated while it is needed and then immediately shut down when finished.

    Remotre Access VPN connections are also a form of "dialup" and have the same
    charateristics.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

  6. Re: no wireless connection

    On Sep 5, 3:57*pm, "MR" wrote:
    > My wireless laptop and desktop are wireless enabled and were connecting fine
    > for months to the internet connection. However, both my pc's now show that
    > they ARE connected to the internet, but we can't get online. My deskptop
    > says that it IS connected to the access point but NOT the internet
    > (obviously because we cant get online).
    >
    > SInce my roomate has the modem in her room and is out of town (she locks her
    > door), I can't get in there to try anything. But, I don't think that
    > anything was changed on the modem becasue she has been gone for 10 days, and
    > just the last 4 days, this has been going on.
    >
    > SO, why does it show that the pc's ARE connected but we cant get on the
    > internet. the little pc icon on the task bar is 'lit' up as it should.
    > Usually, when one cant log on to the internet, it has a red X on the icon
    > pc.
    > Maybe you have some tips i can do on my end. SHe will be gone for 2 more
    > weeks so hopefully I can 'fix' this issue sooner.
    >
    > T.I.Advance

    What type of software did you update / install recently? I definitely
    know that Internet security software such as Norton 360, or Norton
    Internet Security, must be told to "trust" the wireless network SSID.
    Otherwise, you will have the wireless signal but no network / Internet
    access.

  7. Re: no wireless connection

    On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 09:03:18 -0500, "Phillip Windell"
    wrote:

    >The dialup will over ride the other because it will automatically make
    >itself the default gateway of the machine,...hence,..you will be using the
    >dialup.

    Unless you uncheck the box in tcp/ip advanced properties (saying use
    default gateway on remote network) so that it doesn't.

    Jim.

  8. Re: no wireless connection

    "James Egan" wrote in message

    > On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 09:03:18 -0500, "Phillip Windell"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>The dialup will over ride the other because it will automatically make
    >>itself the default gateway of the machine,...hence,..you will be using the
    >>dialup.
    >>

    > Unless you uncheck the box in tcp/ip advanced properties (saying use
    > default gateway on remote network) so that it doesn't.

    Correct. Split-tunneling.

    But it is considered a security risk to the local LAN because the LAN
    becomes subject to influence by the network you connect to over the VPN,
    while leaving the box enabled limits interactability between the local and
    remote LANs. On the flip side of it disabling the checkbox will cause the
    user making the VPN Connection to only be able to communicate to the remote
    LAN of the subnet they directly "dialed into",...they will not be able to
    reach other subnets on the Remote LAN if they needed to.

    Anyway, I suspect the risk is minimal,..but it exists, and is why the
    default is for it to be enabled (= no Split-Tunneling).

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com