Router Range - Wireless

This is a discussion on Router Range - Wireless ; A friend of mine has a home computer with a wireless routert. It is on the west side of the house about 40 feef wide. There is a 10 foot driveway, then the garage for a range of about 85 ...

  1. Router Range

    A friend of mine has a home computer with a wireless routert. It is
    on the west side of the house about 40 feef wide. There is a 10 foot
    driveway, then the garage for a range of about 85 feet from the router
    to the spot for the computer in his garage with about 25 feet inside
    the garage. It is his wife's computer and I really don't want to
    change anything so if anything goes wrong in the future, he won't get
    blamed. I have a Dell laptop with a wireless PMCI card and was able to
    get a signal 10 feet into the garage. I thought that since the
    wireles card we got (Linksys RangePlus) had dual antennas, we could
    reach the 15 feet further necessary to get to his computer. We
    installed the card and fired the computer up. No signal. We worked on
    the system for a couple of hours, and no luck. We were unable to move
    the computer to the same spot that I could get the signal from my
    laptop to test the signal. I also purchased a RangePlus router as
    well but didn't install it hoping the existing equipement would work
    (see wife reason above).

    What options would you do to get to the garage.

    1)Install the new router? I would do this since it would be the least
    invasive. I was unsure of the RangePlus being enough stronger to send
    the signal into the garage. The garage is a wood frame and there are
    flourescent lights,cable tv, and a wireless telephone in the garage.
    Would this interfere with the signal? Would the RangePlus be strong
    enough to overcome the interference if any.

    2) Move the router closer to the garage. This is the not as an
    attractive option but again could weget it close enough to the garage
    to work.

    3) Run cat 5. Least attractive since we would have to run the wire
    outside and couldn't bury it.

    4)Use the internet across electrical wires. Has anyone done this and
    is it viable.?

    TIA for your answers and observations.

  2. Re: Router Range

    goodfella wrote:

    > 4)Use the internet across electrical wires. Has anyone done this and
    > is it viable.?

    I have 85 Mbps Intellon based adapters, very happy with it.

    Regards,
    --PA

  3. Re: Router Range

    I have had good luck with a Wi-Fire device out to about 1000 feet or so.

    http://www.hfield.com

    It uses a USB port on my laptop. Recent comments here...

    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r208...can-get-signal

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...
    How to ask a question
    http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

  4. Re: Router Range

    HI
    If the computer is a Desktop and the Wireless Antenna is stuck behind the
    case it might not see the signal.
    If such is the case get a card that has independent antenna that can be
    placed above the system.
    Example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833315041
    Otherwise replace the current Antenna with High gain Antenna that points
    toward the Wireless source.
    P.S. The number of "sticks" is not an indicator to its capacity Antenna
    capacity is measured by dbi.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    "goodfella" wrote in message
    >A friend of mine has a home computer with a wireless routert. It is
    > on the west side of the house about 40 feef wide. There is a 10 foot
    > driveway, then the garage for a range of about 85 feet from the router
    > to the spot for the computer in his garage with about 25 feet inside
    > the garage. It is his wife's computer and I really don't want to
    > change anything so if anything goes wrong in the future, he won't get
    > blamed. I have a Dell laptop with a wireless PMCI card and was able to
    > get a signal 10 feet into the garage. I thought that since the
    > wireles card we got (Linksys RangePlus) had dual antennas, we could
    > reach the 15 feet further necessary to get to his computer. We
    > installed the card and fired the computer up. No signal. We worked on
    > the system for a couple of hours, and no luck. We were unable to move
    > the computer to the same spot that I could get the signal from my
    > laptop to test the signal. I also purchased a RangePlus router as
    > well but didn't install it hoping the existing equipement would work
    > (see wife reason above).
    >
    > What options would you do to get to the garage.
    >
    > 1)Install the new router? I would do this since it would be the least
    > invasive. I was unsure of the RangePlus being enough stronger to send
    > the signal into the garage. The garage is a wood frame and there are
    > flourescent lights,cable tv, and a wireless telephone in the garage.
    > Would this interfere with the signal? Would the RangePlus be strong
    > enough to overcome the interference if any.
    >
    > 2) Move the router closer to the garage. This is the not as an
    > attractive option but again could weget it close enough to the garage
    > to work.
    >
    > 3) Run cat 5. Least attractive since we would have to run the wire
    > outside and couldn't bury it.
    >
    > 4)Use the internet across electrical wires. Has anyone done this and
    > is it viable.?
    >
    > TIA for your answers and observations.

+ Reply to Thread