wireless network connection Number - Wireless

This is a discussion on wireless network connection Number - Wireless ; Hi, I jsut wanted to confirm a question i have- At my friends house the other day, a few of use were there doing homework on our laptops using her wireless connection. The little icon on the bottom right corner ...

  1. wireless network connection Number

    Hi, I jsut wanted to confirm a question i have- At my friends house the
    other day, a few of use were there doing homework on our laptops using her
    wireless connection. The little icon on the bottom right corner of my task
    bar says I am conected to the internet but it says wireless network
    connection 6 (****** her network name here).. SO what does the number '6'
    mean? does it mean that there are 6 people using this connection? I have
    only gone there once so I cant recall if there were 5 or 6 of us there. THis
    is just a curious question
    thanks for your help

  2. Re: wireless network connection Number

    "Azy" wrote in message
    > Hi, I jsut wanted to confirm a question i have- At my friends house the
    > other day, a few of use were there doing homework on our laptops using her
    > wireless connection. The little icon on the bottom right corner of my task
    > bar says I am conected to the internet but it says wireless network
    > connection 6 (****** her network name here).. SO what does the number '6'
    > mean? does it mean that there are 6 people using this connection? I have
    > only gone there once so I cant recall if there were 5 or 6 of us there.
    > THis is just a curious question
    > thanks for your help

    It means that's the sixth time she set up a network. It increments by one
    each time you set one up-- the it's just a name/identifier that you can
    change if you like.

  3. Re: wireless network connection Number

    Hi
    It is just an id it could be Connection Jill if Microsoft decided to use
    names and not numbers.
    Changing it, or resetting is a cumbersome and can be risky process, leave it
    as is functionally it is of No consequence.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    "Azy" wrote in message
    > Hi, I jsut wanted to confirm a question i have- At my friends house the
    > other day, a few of use were there doing homework on our laptops using her
    > wireless connection. The little icon on the bottom right corner of my task
    > bar says I am conected to the internet but it says wireless network
    > connection 6 (****** her network name here).. SO what does the number '6'
    > mean? does it mean that there are 6 people using this connection? I have
    > only gone there once so I cant recall if there were 5 or 6 of us there.
    > THis is just a curious question
    > thanks for your help

+ Reply to Thread