Cellular Broadband - Wireless

This is a discussion on Cellular Broadband - Wireless ; Hi, I have an older desktop, bought a Dell laptop, added a wireless router and setup a home network using Network Magic. I have the desktop wired to the router along with a satellite internet connection. The satellite internet is ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. Cellular Broadband

    Hi,

    I have an older desktop, bought a Dell laptop, added a wireless router
    and setup a home network using Network Magic. I have the desktop wired
    to the router along with a satellite internet connection. The
    satellite internet is not at all what I thought they would be and my
    plan was to be up soon, so I signed up with Verizon's cellular
    broadband for the laptop yesterday. I'm EXTREMELY impressed with the
    speeds I'm getting with cellular broadband and intend to keep it, and
    will be getting rid of the satellite internet shortly.

    My problem is, Network Magic is not recognizing the cellular broadband
    aircard plugged into one of the USB ports on my laptop, nor the laptop
    itself anymore for that matter. Could be because it's already seeing
    the satellite internet on my desktop, but I'm going to get rid of that
    shortly. Does anyone know if Network Magic is compatible with cellular
    aircards? I found nothing in the Knowledge Base on this.

    I basically want to ditch the satellite connection on the desktop and
    replace that connectoin with the cellular aircard on the laptop, all
    while still keeping the two on the wireless network... is that
    possible??

    Thanks in advance!

  2. Re: Cellular Broadband

    The "aircard" is a cellular modem. It cannot
    connect between your two computers,
    for this you'll need another pair of netcards:
    wi-fi or wired.
    Network Magic will support your local wi-fi network
    as long as you're connected to the internet.

    Regards,
    --PA

    Paula wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an older desktop, bought a Dell laptop, added a wireless router
    > and setup a home network using Network Magic. I have the desktop wired
    > to the router along with a satellite internet connection. The
    > satellite internet is not at all what I thought they would be and my
    > plan was to be up soon, so I signed up with Verizon's cellular
    > broadband for the laptop yesterday. I'm EXTREMELY impressed with the
    > speeds I'm getting with cellular broadband and intend to keep it, and
    > will be getting rid of the satellite internet shortly.
    >
    > My problem is, Network Magic is not recognizing the cellular broadband
    > aircard plugged into one of the USB ports on my laptop, nor the laptop
    > itself anymore for that matter. Could be because it's already seeing
    > the satellite internet on my desktop, but I'm going to get rid of that
    > shortly. Does anyone know if Network Magic is compatible with cellular
    > aircards? I found nothing in the Knowledge Base on this.
    >
    > I basically want to ditch the satellite connection on the desktop and
    > replace that connectoin with the cellular aircard on the laptop, all
    > while still keeping the two on the wireless network... is that
    > possible??
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

  3. Re: Cellular Broadband

    Netcards? I'll have to research those and see what they are.

    I just received word from Network Magic Tech Support that my internet
    connection needs to be wired to the Router in order to use Network
    Magic. So what I'll do is get rid of Network Magic and the satellite
    internet modem and go from there figuring out how to use the cellular
    aircard on a wirless network, IF possible.

    Thanks!
    Paula

    On Aug 30, 9:33*pm, "Pavel A." wrote:
    > The "aircard" is acellularmodem. It cannot
    > connect between your two computers,
    > for this you'll need another pair of netcards:
    > wi-fi or wired.
    > Network Magic will support your local wi-fi network
    > as long as you're connected to the internet.
    >
    > Regards,
    > --PA
    >

    > Paula wrote:
    > > Hi,

    > > I have an older desktop, bought a Dell laptop, added a wireless router
    > > and setup a home network using Network Magic. I have the desktop wired
    > > to the router along with a satellite internet connection. The
    > > satellite internet is not at all what I thought they would be and my
    > > plan was to be up soon, so I signed up with Verizon'scellular
    > >broadbandfor the laptop yesterday. I'm EXTREMELY impressed with the
    > > speeds I'm getting withcellularbroadbandand intend to keep it, and
    > > will be getting rid of the satellite internet shortly.

    > > My problem is, Network Magic is not recognizing thecellularbroadband
    > > aircard plugged into one of the USB ports on my laptop, nor the laptop
    > > itself anymore for that matter. Could be because it's already seeing
    > > the satellite internet on my desktop, but I'm going to get rid of that
    > > shortly. Does anyone know if Network Magic is compatible withcellular
    > > aircards? I found nothing in the Knowledge Base on this.

    > > I basically want to ditch the satellite connection on the desktop and
    > > replace that connectoin with thecellularaircard on the laptop, all
    > > while still keeping the two on the wireless network... is that
    > > possible??

    > > Thanks in advance!
    > > P- Hide quoted text -

  4. Re: Cellular Broadband

    Paula wrote:
    > Netcards? I'll have to research those and see what they are.
    >
    > I just received word from Network Magic Tech Support that my internet
    > connection needs to be wired to the Router in order to use Network
    > Magic. So what I'll do is get rid of Network Magic and the satellite
    > internet modem and go from there figuring out how to use the cellular
    > aircard on a wirless network, IF possible.
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Paula

    The easiest way to use a cellular aircard with a wireless network is to
    get a wireless router that incorporates a slot that accepts the card.
    See, for example only, http://tinyurl.com/54r2r9 (Linksys Verizon version)
    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

  5. Re: Cellular Broadband

    On Sep 1, 3:34*pm, Lem wrote:
    > Paula wrote:
    > > Netcards? *I'll have to research those and see what they are.

    > > I just received word from Network Magic Tech Support that my internet
    > > connection needs to be wired to the Router in order to use Network
    > > Magic. *So what I'll do is get rid of Network Magic and the satellite
    > > internet modem and go from there figuring out how to use thecellular
    > > aircard on a wirless network, IF possible.

    > > Thanks!
    > > Paula

    > The easiest way to use acellularaircard with a wireless network is to
    > get a wireless router that incorporates a slot that accepts the card.
    > See, for example only,http://tinyurl.com/54r2r9(Linksys Verizon version)
    > --
    > Lem -- MS-MVP
    >
    > To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_.../compessay.htm

    That's a great idea and I was just wondering about that last night if
    I could install the aircard right to the router (D-Link WBR-2310).
    I'll have to check around to see if there are any that accept the
    aircard I just bought (Verizon USB727) because the one in your example
    doesn't look like it's for a USB card.

    I know I'm doing this ass-backwards, but I'll work it out somehow!
    All I know is, the cellular speeds are lightning FAST compared to
    satellite, not to mention it doesn't go out on a whim... =-)

    Thanks!
    Paula

  6. Re: Cellular Broadband

    D-Link talked about building one that would accept USB types. I haven't
    heard that this actually happened. Even if the router has USB ports it
    doesn't mean it will work.

    You'll probably have to swap the USB adapter for a "PC Card" Adapter with
    your Cell Provider

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    "Paula " wrote in message

    That's a great idea and I was just wondering about that last night if
    I could install the aircard right to the router (D-Link WBR-2310).
    I'll have to check around to see if there are any that accept the
    aircard I just bought (Verizon USB727) because the one in your example
    doesn't look like it's for a USB card.

    I know I'm doing this ass-backwards, but I'll work it out somehow!
    All I know is, the cellular speeds are lightning FAST compared to
    satellite, not to mention it doesn't go out on a whim... =-)

    Thanks!
    Paula

  7. Re: Cellular Broadband

    My router doesn't have a USB port. But swapping the aircard's another
    option. I'll have to figure out whether it's easier (cheaper) to swap
    the aircard or change the router.

    Thanks!
    Paula

    On Sep 2, 12:16*pm, "Phillip Windell" wrote:
    > D-Link talked about building one that would accept USB types. *I haven't
    > heard that this actually happened. *Even if the router has USB ports it
    > doesn't mean it will work.
    >
    > You'll probably have to swap the USB adapter for a "PC Card" Adapter with
    > your Cell Provider
    >
    > --
    > Phillip Windellwww.wandtv.com
    >
    > The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or Microsoft,
    >
    > "Paula " wrote in message

    > That's a great idea and I was just wondering about that last night if
    > I could install the aircard right to the router (D-Link WBR-2310).
    > I'll have to check around to see if there are any that accept the
    > aircard I just bought (Verizon USB727) because the one in your example
    > doesn't look like it's for a USB card.
    >
    > I know I'm doing this ass-backwards, but I'll work it out somehow!
    > All I know is, thecellularspeeds are lightning FAST compared to
    > satellite, not to mention it doesn't go out on a whim... =-)
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Paula

  8. Re: Cellular Broadband

    I think what you'll want to do is to swap your aircard (for a PC-Card
    type) *and* get a new router that will work with the PC-Card aircard.
    The router isn't cheap ($130 or so), but it'll do what you want.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

  9. Re: Cellular Broadband

    Yea, you're right, I'd have to do both since the router I have now
    only has a port for a network cable. Wait, does a wireless network
    *need* to have an internet connection?

    I would have no problem removing my satellite internet from my old
    desktop (planned to anyway) and leaving that computer without internet
    at all, since I already have the *faster* cellular broadband on the
    *faster* laptop. The only reason I really want to keep the wireless
    network for is so that I can print from the laptop thru the desktop,
    since the desktop has my printers hooked up to it. That's my best
    option, I think!

    I mean, if I really needed internet on that desktop at any time, I
    could always pull the Verizon aircard from the laptop and use it in
    the desktop.

    Thanks,
    Paula

    On Sep 2, 9:12*pm, Lem wrote:
    > I think what you'll want to do is to swap your aircard (for a PC-Card
    > type) *and* get a new router that will work with the PC-Card aircard.
    > The router isn't cheap ($130 or so), but it'll do what you want.
    >

    > Paula wrote:
    > > My router doesn't have a USB port. *But swapping the aircard's another
    > > option. *I'll have to figure out whether it's easier (cheaper) to swap
    > > the aircard or change the router.

    > > Thanks!
    > > Paula

    > > On Sep 2, 12:16 pm, "Phillip Windell" wrote:
    > >> D-Link talked about building one that would accept USB types. *I haven't
    > >> heard that this actually happened. *Even if the router has USB portsit
    > >> doesn't mean it will work.

    > >> You'll probably have to swap the USB adapter for a "PC Card" Adapter with
    > >> your Cell Provider

    > >> --
    > >> Phillip Windellwww.wandtv.com

    > >> The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or Microsoft,
    > >> or anyone else associated with me, including my cats.
    > >> -----------------------------------------------------

    > >> "Paula " wrote in message

    > >> That's a great idea and I was just wondering about that last night if
    > >> I could install the aircard right to the router (D-Link WBR-2310).
    > >> I'll have to check around to see if there are any that accept the
    > >> aircard I just bought (Verizon USB727) because the one in your example
    > >> doesn't look like it's for a USB card.

    > >> I know I'm doing this ass-backwards, but I'll work it out somehow!
    > >> All I know is, thecellularspeeds are lightning FAST compared to
    > >> satellite, not to mention it doesn't go out on a whim... =-)

    > >> Thanks!
    > >> Paula

    > --
    > Lem -- MS-MVP
    >
    > To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_...compessay.htm- Hide quoted text -

  10. Re: Cellular Broadband

    Paula wrote:
    > Yea, you're right, I'd have to do both since the router I have now
    > only has a port for a network cable. Wait, does a wireless network
    > *need* to have an internet connection?
    >
    > I would have no problem removing my satellite internet from my old
    > desktop (planned to anyway) and leaving that computer without internet
    > at all, since I already have the *faster* cellular broadband on the
    > *faster* laptop. The only reason I really want to keep the wireless
    > network for is so that I can print from the laptop thru the desktop,
    > since the desktop has my printers hooked up to it. That's my best
    > option, I think!
    >
    > I mean, if I really needed internet on that desktop at any time, I
    > could always pull the Verizon aircard from the laptop and use it in
    > the desktop.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Paula

    A local network, wired or wireless, is just a bunch of computers that
    can communicate with each other and share resources (files and printers)
    if properly configured. If the local network happens to be connected to
    the Internet through a router, then all of the local computers can share
    that Internet connection.

    Thus, "Does a wireless network *need* to have an internet connection?"
    No. But unless you want to share files or printers among local
    computers, if you don't want the local network to have an Internet
    connection, there's not much point in having a local network.

    Most home wireless routers, and the Linksys WRT54G3G-VN which I used as
    an example is no exception, have 4 Ethernet ports that may be used to
    connect wired local computers in addition any computers that connect to
    the router via wireless.

    Thus, if you swapped your current Verizon broadband USB adapter for a
    Verizon broadband PC-Card and bought a router with capabilities similar
    to the WRT54G3G-VN, you could:

    - remove the satellite Internet connection from the desktop and connect
    an Ethernet cable between the desktop and the router,
    - use the built-in wireless capability of your new laptop,

    and thereby have broadband access via the Verizon aircard for *both*
    computers simultaneously (not to mention the ability to share resources
    between the desktop and the laptop if you decide you want to do that).
    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

  11. Re: Cellular Broadband

    On Sep 3, 6:08*pm, Lem wrote:
    > Paula wrote:
    > > Yea, you're right, I'd have to do both since the router I have now
    > > only has a port for a network cable. *Wait, does a wireless network
    > > *need* to have an internet connection?

    > > I would have no problem removing my satellite internet from my old
    > > desktop (planned to anyway) and leaving that computer without internet
    > > at all, since I already have the *faster* cellular broadband on the
    > > *faster* laptop. *The only reason I really want to keep the wireless
    > > network for is so that I can print from the laptop thru the desktop,
    > > since the desktop has my printers hooked up to it. *That's my best
    > > option, I think!

    > > I mean, if I really needed internet on that desktop at any time, I
    > > could always pull the Verizon aircard from the laptop and use it in
    > > the desktop.

    > > Thanks,
    > > Paula

    > A local network, wired or wireless, is just a bunch of computers that
    > can communicate with each other and share resources (files and printers)
    > if properly configured. *If the local network happens to be connected to
    > the Internet through a router, then all of the local computers can share
    > that Internet connection.
    >
    > Thus, "Does a wireless network *need* to have an internet connection?"
    > No. *But unless you want to share files or printers among local
    > computers, if you don't want the local network to have an Internet
    > connection, there's not much point in having a local network.
    >
    > Most home wireless routers, and the Linksys WRT54G3G-VN which I used as
    > an example is no exception, have 4 Ethernet ports that may be used to
    > connect wired local computers in addition any computers that connect to
    > the router via wireless.
    >
    > Thus, if you swapped your current Verizon broadband USB adapter for a
    > Verizon broadband PC-Card and bought a router with capabilities similar
    > to the WRT54G3G-VN, you could:
    >
    > - remove the satellite Internet connection from the desktop and connect
    > an Ethernet cable between the desktop and the router,
    > - use the built-in wireless capability of your new laptop,
    >
    > and thereby have broadband access via the Verizon aircard for *both*
    > computers simultaneously (not to mention the ability to share resources
    > between the desktop and the laptop if you decide you want to do that).
    > --
    > Lem -- MS-MVP
    >
    > To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_...compessay.htm- Hide quoted text -

    What I think I'm going to do is simply install Verizon's software on
    the desktop also, so that if I ever need internet there, I can just
    plug the USB727 modem in and go. I really haven't even used that
    desktop for internet since I got the laptop

    I'm going to try to keep my current router (D-Link WBR-2310), so I
    uninstalled Network Magic from both computers this morning, and when I
    get home I'll attempt to setup the router for just a wireless network
    between the two w/o internet. I glanced over the D-Link quick setup
    sheet this morning and it says it needs an internet connection to
    install, so we'll see if I can make this work w/o it!

    Thanks,
    Paula

  12. Re: Cellular Broadband

    Paula wrote:
> [...]

    >> --
    >> Lem -- MS-MVP
    >>
    >> To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_...compessay.htm- Hide quoted text -

    > What I think I'm going to do is simply install Verizon's software on
    > the desktop also, so that if I ever need internet there, I can just
    > plug the USB727 modem in and go. I really haven't even used that
    > desktop for internet since I got the laptop
    >
    > I'm going to try to keep my current router (D-Link WBR-2310), so I
    > uninstalled Network Magic from both computers this morning, and when I
    > get home I'll attempt to setup the router for just a wireless network
    > between the two w/o internet. I glanced over the D-Link quick setup
    > sheet this morning and it says it needs an internet connection to
    > install, so we'll see if I can make this work w/o it!

    If you're going to use the router to network the desktop and the laptop,
    you could (if you wanted to) use XP's Internet Connection Sharing to
    access the Internet from the desktop. Or, as you say, just plug in the
    USB modem when you need it. Good luck with your endeavors, and if you
    have problems, post back.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

  13. Re: Cellular Broadband

    "Lem" wrote:

    > Paula wrote:
    > >> A local network, wired or wireless, is just a bunch of computers that
    > >> can communicate with each other and share resources (files and printers)
    > >> if properly configured. If the local network happens to be connected to
    > >> the Internet through a router, then all of the local computers can share
    > >> that Internet connection.
    > >>
    > >> Thus, "Does a wireless network *need* to have an internet connection?"
    > >> No. But unless you want to share files or printers among local
    > >> computers, if you don't want the local network to have an Internet
    > >> connection, there's not much point in having a local network.
    > >>
    > >> Most home wireless routers, and the Linksys WRT54G3G-VN which I used as
    > >> an example is no exception, have 4 Ethernet ports that may be used to
    > >> connect wired local computers in addition any computers that connect to
    > >> the router via wireless.
    > >>
    > >> Thus, if you swapped your current Verizon broadband USB adapter for a
    > >> Verizon broadband PC-Card and bought a router with capabilities similar
    > >> to the WRT54G3G-VN, you could:
    > >>
    > >> - remove the satellite Internet connection from the desktop and connect
    > >> an Ethernet cable between the desktop and the router,
    > >> - use the built-in wireless capability of your new laptop,
    > >>
    > >> and thereby have broadband access via the Verizon aircard for *both*
    > >> computers simultaneously (not to mention the ability to share resources
    > >> between the desktop and the laptop if you decide you want to do that).
    > >> --
    > >> Lem -- MS-MVP
    > >>
    > >> To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_...compessay.htm- Hide quoted text -

    > > What I think I'm going to do is simply install Verizon's software on
    > > the desktop also, so that if I ever need internet there, I can just
    > > plug the USB727 modem in and go. I really haven't even used that
    > > desktop for internet since I got the laptop
    > >
    > > I'm going to try to keep my current router (D-Link WBR-2310), so I
    > > uninstalled Network Magic from both computers this morning, and when I
    > > get home I'll attempt to setup the router for just a wireless network
    > > between the two w/o internet. I glanced over the D-Link quick setup
    > > sheet this morning and it says it needs an internet connection to
    > > install, so we'll see if I can make this work w/o it!
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Paula

    > If you're going to use the router to network the desktop and the laptop,
    > you could (if you wanted to) use XP's Internet Connection Sharing to
    > access the Internet from the desktop. Or, as you say, just plug in the
    > USB modem when you need it. Good luck with your endeavors, and if you
    > have problems, post back.
    >
    > --
    > Lem -- MS-MVP

    Well, I haven't had much time to work on it, but this morning I decided to
    delete the existing network connection, reset the router, and start from
    scratch rather than try to make the original settings work. But I can't find
    any instructions on setting up a wireless network WITHOUT having an internet
    connection! Everything I read talks about connecting your modem to your
    router and doing the configuration on the web.

    Anybody know of any instructions that will allow me to manually configure
    this router without a modem involved in the setup? D-Link's user manual on
    the CD is useless, and I'm NOT calling India for Tech Support. I called it
    the other day and could hardly understand the guy. I understand he needs to
    make a living too, but this is way too, much out of my expertise to have the
    patience to try to understand him at the same time I'm trying to understand
    what I'm doing. =-/

    Thanks!
    Paula

  14. Re: Cellular Broadband

    Paula wrote:

    > Well, I haven't had much time to work on it, but this morning I decided to
    > delete the existing network connection, reset the router, and start from
    > scratch rather than try to make the original settings work. But I can't find
    > any instructions on setting up a wireless network WITHOUT having an internet
    > connection! Everything I read talks about connecting your modem to your
    > router and doing the configuration on the web.
    >
    > Anybody know of any instructions that will allow me to manually configure
    > this router without a modem involved in the setup? D-Link's user manual on
    > the CD is useless, and I'm NOT calling India for Tech Support. I called it
    > the other day and could hardly understand the guy. I understand he needs to
    > make a living too, but this is way too, much out of my expertise to have the
    > patience to try to understand him at the same time I'm trying to understand
    > what I'm doing. =-/
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Paula

    You do NOT need an Internet connection to configure your wireless
    network. If you let me know the model of your D-Link router, I'll tell
    you where to look in its manual.

    The router should work pretty well out of the box with no configuration
    at all for a wireless network with no Internet connection. You really
    only have to configure 3 or 4 things:

    - Change the password used to access the configuration utility
    - Set wireless encryption mode and password (preferably use
    WPA2-personal) (how new is your laptop?)
    - Change SSID from default to something you'll recognize (other than
    your last name or address)
    - If you run into interference from a nearby wireless network you might
    want to change the channel your router uses, but I'd leave that alone
    initially.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

  15. Re: Cellular Broadband

    "Lem" wrote:

    > Paula wrote:
    >
    > > Well, I haven't had much time to work on it, but this morning I decided to
    > > delete the existing network connection, reset the router, and start from
    > > scratch rather than try to make the original settings work. But I can't find
    > > any instructions on setting up a wireless network WITHOUT having an internet
    > > connection! Everything I read talks about connecting your modem to your
    > > router and doing the configuration on the web.
    > >
    > > Anybody know of any instructions that will allow me to manually configure
    > > this router without a modem involved in the setup? D-Link's user manual on
    > > the CD is useless, and I'm NOT calling India for Tech Support. I called it
    > > the other day and could hardly understand the guy. I understand he needs to
    > > make a living too, but this is way too, much out of my expertise to have the
    > > patience to try to understand him at the same time I'm trying to understand
    > > what I'm doing. =-/
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > > Paula

    > You do NOT need an Internet connection to configure your wireless
    > network. If you let me know the model of your D-Link router, I'll tell
    > you where to look in its manual.
    >
    > The router should work pretty well out of the box with no configuration
    > at all for a wireless network with no Internet connection. You really
    > only have to configure 3 or 4 things:
    >
    > - Change the password used to access the configuration utility
    > - Set wireless encryption mode and password (preferably use
    > WPA2-personal) (how new is your laptop?)
    > - Change SSID from default to something you'll recognize (other than
    > your last name or address)
    > - If you run into interference from a nearby wireless network you might
    > want to change the channel your router uses, but I'd leave that alone
    > initially.
    >
    > --
    > Lem -- MS-MVP

    Well, in my frustration (which happens when I'm out of my comfort zone), I
    decided walk away from this and started staining my deck to do some thinking.
    I worked on the network during breaks. And yes, you're right (of course) I
    didn't need an internet connection.

    Not sure how I did it, but I DID get the desktop (wired to the router) and
    the router back on a LAN, BUT now I can't get the laptop right. Apparently
    the laptop IS seeing the network because when I just got home and booted up
    the laptop, Verizon's VZAccess Manager, which usually starts up and goes
    right to a broadband connection, THIS TIME showed that it was *trying* to
    make the broadband connection AND also listed my wireless network too! So
    this Verizon software is trying to make BOTH connections! I disabled the
    Wireless Network Connection in Network Connections and it went ahead and made
    the broadband connection so I could get online.

    Thanks,
    Paula

  16. Re: Cellular Broadband

    "Paula " wrote:

> [...]

    > decided walk away from this and started staining my deck to do some thinking.
    > I worked on the network during breaks. And yes, you're right (of course) I
    > didn't need an internet connection.
    >
    > Not sure how I did it, but I DID get the desktop (wired to the router) and
    > the router back on a LAN, BUT now I can't get the laptop right. Apparently
    > the laptop IS seeing the network because when I just got home and booted up
    > the laptop, Verizon's VZAccess Manager, which usually starts up and goes
    > right to a broadband connection, THIS TIME showed that it was *trying* to
    > make the broadband connection AND also listed my wireless network too! So
    > this Verizon software is trying to make BOTH connections! I disabled the
    > Wireless Network Connection in Network Connections and it went ahead and made
    > the broadband connection so I could get online.

    UPDATE: I'm able to connect to both the broadband and the wireless network,
    BUT even after sharing folders on both computers, I'm not able to see the
    shared files of the other computer. I am able to see the printers on the
    desktop from the laptop tho.

    On the laptop, when I try to click on Mshome in My Network Places, I get a
    error dialog about not having "permissions to use this network resource".
    One the desktop, I can SEE the laptop from the desktop under Mshome, but I
    get the same "permissions" error when I try to click on it. I know this is
    just some stupid little setting somewhere that I'm missing!

    Thanks,
    Paula

  17. Re: Cellular Broadband

    Have no idea if this helps but have you got them both allowed through your
    firewall, I think a permission thing is often to do with misconfigured
    firewalls.
    Just my thoughts,

    --
    Joan Archer
    http://www.freewebs.com/crossstitcher

    "Paula " wrote in message
> [...]

    >> made
    >> the broadband connection so I could get online.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Paula

    > UPDATE: I'm able to connect to both the broadband and the wireless
    > network,
    > BUT even after sharing folders on both computers, I'm not able to see the
    > shared files of the other computer. I am able to see the printers on the
    > desktop from the laptop tho.
    >
    > On the laptop, when I try to click on Mshome in My Network Places, I get a
    > error dialog about not having "permissions to use this network resource".
    > One the desktop, I can SEE the laptop from the desktop under Mshome, but I
    > get the same "permissions" error when I try to click on it. I know this
    > is
    > just some stupid little setting somewhere that I'm missing!

  18. Re: Cellular Broadband

    Paula wrote:
    > "Paula " wrote:

    >>> You do NOT need an Internet connection to configure your wireless
    >>> network. If you let me know the model of your D-Link router, I'll tell
    >>> you where to look in its manual.
    >>>
    >>> The router should work pretty well out of the box with no configuration
    >>> at all for a wireless network with no Internet connection. You really
    >>> only have to configure 3 or 4 things:
    >>>
    >>> - Change the password used to access the configuration utility
    >>> - Set wireless encryption mode and password (preferably use
    >>> WPA2-personal) (how new is your laptop?)
    >>> - Change SSID from default to something you'll recognize (other than
    >>> your last name or address)
    >>> - If you run into interference from a nearby wireless network you might
    >>> want to change the channel your router uses, but I'd leave that alone
    >>> initially.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Lem -- MS-MVP
    >>>
    >>> To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.
    >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer
    >>> http://history.nasa.gov/afj/compessay.htm
    >>>

    >> Well, in my frustration (which happens when I'm out of my comfort zone), I
    >> decided walk away from this and started staining my deck to do some thinking.
    >> I worked on the network during breaks. And yes, you're right (of course) I
    >> didn't need an internet connection.
    >>
    >> Not sure how I did it, but I DID get the desktop (wired to the router) and
    >> the router back on a LAN, BUT now I can't get the laptop right. Apparently
    >> the laptop IS seeing the network because when I just got home and booted up
    >> the laptop, Verizon's VZAccess Manager, which usually starts up and goes
    >> right to a broadband connection, THIS TIME showed that it was *trying* to
    >> make the broadband connection AND also listed my wireless network too! So
    >> this Verizon software is trying to make BOTH connections! I disabled the
    >> Wireless Network Connection in Network Connections and it went ahead and made
    >> the broadband connection so I could get online.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Paula

    > UPDATE: I'm able to connect to both the broadband and the wireless network,
    > BUT even after sharing folders on both computers, I'm not able to see the
    > shared files of the other computer. I am able to see the printers on the
    > desktop from the laptop tho.
    >
    > On the laptop, when I try to click on Mshome in My Network Places, I get a
    > error dialog about not having "permissions to use this network resource".
    > One the desktop, I can SEE the laptop from the desktop under Mshome, but I
    > get the same "permissions" error when I try to click on it. I know this is
    > just some stupid little setting somewhere that I'm missing!
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Paula

    Networking advice courtesy of MS-MVP Malke:

    File/printer sharing

    Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as
    files and folders:

    For XP, start by running the Network Setup Wizard on all machines (see
    caveat in Item A below).

    Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally
    caused by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including
    a stateful firewall in a VPN); or 2) inadvertently running two firewalls
    such as the built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party firewall; and/or
    3) not having identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup
    machines; 4) trying to create shares where the operating system does not
    permit it.

    A. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network
    (LAN) traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing
    File/Printer Sharing on the Exceptions tab. Normally running the Network
    Setup Wizard on XP will take care of this for those machines.The only
    "gotcha" is that this will turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you
    aren't running a third-party firewall or have an antivirus with
    "Internet Worm Protection" (like Norton 2006/07) which acts as a
    firewall, then you're fine. With third-party firewalls, I usually
    configure the LAN allowance with an IP range. Ex. would be
    subnet. Do not run more than one firewall. DO NOT TURN OFF FIREWALLS;
    CONFIGURE THEM CORRECTLY.

    B. For ease of organization, put all computers in the same Workgroup.
    This is done from the System applet in Control Panel, Computer Name tab.

    C. Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do
    not need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the
    passwords assigned to each user account can be different; the
    accounts/passwords just need to exist and match on all machines. DO NOT
    NEGLECT TO CREATE PASSWORDS, EVEN IF ONLY SIMPLE ONES. If you wish a
    machine to boot directly to the Desktop (into one particular user's
    account) for convenience, you can do this. The instructions at this link
    work for both XP and Vista:

    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

    D. If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center, turn off
    Simple File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab).

    E. Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users'
    home directories or Program Files, but you can share folders inside
    those directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared Documents
    folder.
    See the first link above for details about Vista sharing.

    F. After you have file sharing working (and have tested this by
    exchanging a file between all machines), if you want to share a printer
    connected locally to one of your computers, share it out from that
    machine. Then go to the printer mftr.'s website and download the latest
    drivers for the correct operating system(s). Install them on the target
    machine(s). The printer should be seen during the installation routine.
    If it is not, install the drivers and then use the Add Printer Wizard.
    In some instances, certain printers need to be installed as Local
    printers but that is outside of this response.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

  19. Re: Cellular Broadband

    Yea, I read something about that in all my searching for an answer and I
    believe I have all firewalls concerned straightened out. I've got Norton on
    both machines.

    Thanks!
    Paula

    "Joan Archer" wrote:

    > Have no idea if this helps but have you got them both allowed through your
    > firewall, I think a permission thing is often to do with misconfigured
    > firewalls.
    > Just my thoughts,
    >
    > --
    > Joan Archer
    > http://www.freewebs.com/crossstitcher
    > http://lachsoft.com/photogallery
    >
    > "Paula " wrote in message

    > >> Well, in my frustration (which happens when I'm out of my comfort zone),
    > >> decided walk away from this and started staining my deck to do some
    > >> thinking.
    > >> I worked on the network during breaks. And yes, you're right (of
    > >> course) I
    > >> didn't need an internet connection.
    > >>
    > >> Not sure how I did it, but I DID get the desktop (wired to the router)
    > >> and
    > >> the router back on a LAN, BUT now I can't get the laptop right.
    > >> Apparently
    > >> the laptop IS seeing the network because when I just got home and booted
    > >> up
    > >> the laptop, Verizon's VZAccess Manager, which usually starts up and goes
    > >> right to a broadband connection, THIS TIME showed that it was *trying* to
    > >> make the broadband connection AND also listed my wireless network too!
    > >> So
    > >> this Verizon software is trying to make BOTH connections! I disabled the
    > >> Wireless Network Connection in Network Connections and it went ahead and
    > >> made
    > >> the broadband connection so I could get online.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks,
    > >> Paula

    > > UPDATE: I'm able to connect to both the broadband and the wireless
    > > network,
    > > BUT even after sharing folders on both computers, I'm not able to see the
    > > shared files of the other computer. I am able to see the printers on the
    > > desktop from the laptop tho.
    > >
    > > On the laptop, when I try to click on Mshome in My Network Places, I get a
    > > error dialog about not having "permissions to use this network resource".
    > > One the desktop, I can SEE the laptop from the desktop under Mshome, but I
    > > get the same "permissions" error when I try to click on it. I know this
    > > is
    > > just some stupid little setting somewhere that I'm missing!
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Paula

  20. Re: Cellular Broadband

    "Lem" wrote:

> [...]

    > home directories or Program Files, but you can share folders inside
    > those directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared Documents
    > folder.
    > See the first link above for details about Vista sharing.
    >
    > F. After you have file sharing working (and have tested this by
    > exchanging a file between all machines), if you want to share a printer
    > connected locally to one of your computers, share it out from that
    > machine. Then go to the printer mftr.'s website and download the latest
    > drivers for the correct operating system(s). Install them on the target
    > machine(s). The printer should be seen during the installation routine.
    > If it is not, install the drivers and then use the Add Printer Wizard.
    > In some instances, certain printers need to be installed as Local
    > printers but that is outside of this response.

    You've got a lot for me to do here, Lem. One question I do have is on the
    running of two firewalls. Which firewall should I run, Windows or Norton? I
    currently have them both running -- I think I'll turn off Norton and see what
    happens.

    I also made sure I had to duplicate users and created identical passwords
    for them. I hadn't had passwords on them previously since they're home
    computers and I'm really the only person that uses them anyway.

    I will go over the rest of this list and let you know how it goes... thanks
    again for you help!!

    Paula

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast