Cellular Broadband - Wireless

This is a discussion on Cellular Broadband - Wireless ; Paula wrote: > "Lem" wrote: > >> Paula wrote: >>> "Paula " wrote: >>> >>>> "Lem" wrote: >>>> >>>>> Paula wrote: >>>>> >>>>>> Well, I haven't had much time to work on it, but this morning I decided to >>>>>> ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 22 of 22

  1. Re: Cellular Broadband

    Paula wrote:
    > "Lem" wrote:
    >
    >> Paula wrote:

    >>> UPDATE: I'm able to connect to both the broadband and the wireless network,
    >>> BUT even after sharing folders on both computers, I'm not able to see the
    >>> shared files of the other computer. I am able to see the printers on the
    >>> desktop from the laptop tho.
    >>>
    >>> On the laptop, when I try to click on Mshome in My Network Places, I get a
    >>> error dialog about not having "permissions to use this network resource".
    >>> One the desktop, I can SEE the laptop from the desktop under Mshome, but I
    >>> get the same "permissions" error when I try to click on it. I know this is
    >>> just some stupid little setting somewhere that I'm missing!
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Paula

> [...]
    >> "Internet Worm Protection" (like Norton 2006/07) which acts as a
    >> firewall, then you're fine. With third-party firewalls, I usually
    >> configure the LAN allowance with an IP range. Ex. would be
    >> 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would substitute your correct
    >> subnet. Do not run more than one firewall. DO NOT TURN OFF FIREWALLS;
    >> CONFIGURE THEM CORRECTLY.
    >>
    >> B. For ease of organization, put all computers in the same Workgroup.
    >> This is done from the System applet in Control Panel, Computer Name tab.
    >>
    >> C. Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do
    >> not need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the
    >> passwords assigned to each user account can be different; the
    >> accounts/passwords just need to exist and match on all machines. DO NOT
    >> NEGLECT TO CREATE PASSWORDS, EVEN IF ONLY SIMPLE ONES. If you wish a
    >> machine to boot directly to the Desktop (into one particular user's
    >> account) for convenience, you can do this. The instructions at this link
    >> work for both XP and Vista:
    >>
    >> Configure Windows to Automatically Login (MVP Ramesh) -
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm
    >>
    >> D. If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center, turn off
    >> Simple File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab).
    >>
    >> E. Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users'
    >> home directories or Program Files, but you can share folders inside
    >> those directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared Documents
    >> folder.
    >> See the first link above for details about Vista sharing.
    >>
    >> F. After you have file sharing working (and have tested this by
    >> exchanging a file between all machines), if you want to share a printer
    >> connected locally to one of your computers, share it out from that
    >> machine. Then go to the printer mftr.'s website and download the latest
    >> drivers for the correct operating system(s). Install them on the target
    >> machine(s). The printer should be seen during the installation routine.
    >> If it is not, install the drivers and then use the Add Printer Wizard.
    >> In some instances, certain printers need to be installed as Local
    >> printers but that is outside of this response.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Lem -- MS-MVP
    >>
    >> To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.
    >> http://history.nasa.gov/afj/compessay.htm
    >>

    > You've got a lot for me to do here, Lem. One question I do have is on the
    > running of two firewalls. Which firewall should I run, Windows or Norton? I
    > currently have them both running -- I think I'll turn off Norton and see what
    > happens.
    >
    > I also made sure I had to duplicate users and created identical passwords
    > for them. I hadn't had passwords on them previously since they're home
    > computers and I'm really the only person that uses them anyway.
    >
    > I will go over the rest of this list and let you know how it goes... thanks

    If you follow Malke's advice, you should be able to get file and printer
    sharing to work. If you still have trouble, check out the following web
    page. If you answer all the questions there, it should pinpoint the
    source of your network problems: http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

    Yes, disable the Norton firewall (some folks in this newsgroup go as far
    as to suggest removing all Norton products entirely, but you can decide
    about that later). I don't know if the Norton "suites" (Norton 360 and
    Norton Internet Security) incorporate "Internet Worm Protection" into
    their firewalls or if they have a firewall in addition to IWP. In the
    latter case, you'd have to disable both.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

  2. Re: Cellular Broadband

    "Lem" wrote:

> [...]

    > > I will go over the rest of this list and let you know how it goes... thanks
    > > again for you help!!
    > >
    > > Paula

    > If you follow Malke's advice, you should be able to get file and printer
    > sharing to work. If you still have trouble, check out the following web
    > page. If you answer all the questions there, it should pinpoint the
    > source of your network problems: http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm
    >
    > Yes, disable the Norton firewall (some folks in this newsgroup go as far
    > as to suggest removing all Norton products entirely, but you can decide
    > about that later). I don't know if the Norton "suites" (Norton 360 and
    > Norton Internet Security) incorporate "Internet Worm Protection" into
    > their firewalls or if they have a firewall in addition to IWP. In the
    > latter case, you'd have to disable both.

    I know there are a lot of people that don't like Norton. I've used it for
    years, in fact it's the only one I've ever used, and really haven't had any
    problems with it. Just gotta get those settings right! The version on the
    desktop is older and actually easier to configure than the newer version on
    the laptop seems to be. And yes, the newer version doesn't mention a
    firewall, just IWP.

    One nagging question that plagues me, what makes a network go in and out
    like they do? There may not even be an easy answer for that. It just seems
    like they go in and out on a whim!

    Thanks,
    Paula

+ Reply to Thread