accessing shared folders - Wireless

This is a discussion on accessing shared folders - Wireless ; hi, i have problem in sharing files and folder and in workgroups for about a month! i've tried searching google, microsoft support, knowledge base and help and support center, and i couldn't find a solution for the problem. i have ...

  1. accessing shared folders

    hi,
    i have problem in sharing files and folder and in workgroups for about a
    month!
    i've tried searching google, microsoft support, knowledge base and help and
    support center, and i couldn't find a solution for the problem.
    i have win xp pro sp2 (on the wireless computer) and xp sp3 (on the main
    computer) the 2 computer have ntfs systems with simple sharing enabled and
    NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled and they also has the same firewall program
    (sygate) and i allowed file sharing in the options of the program and even
    disabled the firewall protection (windows firewall is disabled in the 2 comps
    and i even allowed sharing in case) and have the computer browser activated
    in the 2 comps (services) and the 2 are in the same workgroup ("G2Home") and
    gained full access to shared folder (type 4 permission or something like
    that) and also file and printer sharing for microsoft networks is installed
    in the 2 comps... and that's it that's all have did for the last week trying
    to solve the problem.

    the first time i shared the folder (i have 2 shared folder in the main and 1
    shared folder in the wireless) it didn't workout i started getting "++++++++
    is not accessible. you might not have permission to use this network
    resource. contact the admin of this server (witch is me) to find out if you
    have access permission (i didn't understand that, first they tell me that i
    have got no access permission and after that they tell me to find whether i
    have access permission or not???!!!) path not found." msg, then found out
    that the firewall blocked access then allowed access in the 2 comps and
    started sharing after 2-3 days i had the same access denied msg so searched
    microsoft support and found the netbios then started sharing again and again
    2/3 days the same msg tried everything else and nothing worked.

    bottom line: what shall i do to gain access to shared folders ( the main
    can't access the wireless but can identify it and access his own shared
    folder (thank God he can do something) the same for the wireless can't access
    main but identify and access his; yes (i can see the other comp shared folder
    in my network places but not in workgroup - and tried changing workgroup
    names and that didn't workout either)

  2. RE: accessing shared folders

    By the way i also tried to activate the Guest account in the 2 comps ( don't
    know how this is connected to the problem it would be very helpful to get
    some explanations, i have found this solution in the support center)

  3. Re: accessing shared folders

    "Jack" wrote in message
    > hi,
    > i have problem in sharing files and folder and in workgroups for about a
    > month!
    > i've tried searching google, microsoft support, knowledge base and help
    > and
    > support center, and i couldn't find a solution for the problem.
    > i have win xp pro sp2 (on the wireless computer) and xp sp3 (on the main
    > computer) the 2 computer have ntfs systems with simple sharing enabled and
    > NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled and they also has the same firewall program
    > (sygate) and i allowed file sharing in the options of the program and even
    > disabled the firewall protection (windows firewall is disabled in the 2
    > comps
    > and i even allowed sharing in case) and have the computer browser
    > activated
    > in the 2 comps (services) and the 2 are in the same workgroup ("G2Home")
    > and
    > gained full access to shared folder (type 4 permission or something like
    > that) and also file and printer sharing for microsoft networks is
    > installed
    > in the 2 comps... and that's it that's all have did for the last week
    > trying
    > to solve the problem.
    >
    > the first time i shared the folder (i have 2 shared folder in the main and
    > 1
    > shared folder in the wireless) it didn't workout i started getting
    > "++++++++
    > is not accessible. you might not have permission to use this network
    > resource. contact the admin of this server (witch is me) to find out if
    > you
    > have access permission (i didn't understand that, first they tell me that
    > have got no access permission and after that they tell me to find whether
    > have access permission or not???!!!) path not found." msg, then found out
    > that the firewall blocked access then allowed access in the 2 comps and
    > started sharing after 2-3 days i had the same access denied msg so
    > searched
    > microsoft support and found the netbios then started sharing again and
    > again
    > 2/3 days the same msg tried everything else and nothing worked.
    >
    > bottom line: what shall i do to gain access to shared folders ( the main
    > can't access the wireless but can identify it and access his own shared
    > folder (thank God he can do something) the same for the wireless can't
    > access
    > main but identify and access his; yes (i can see the other comp shared
    > folder
    > in my network places but not in workgroup - and tried changing workgroup
    > names and that didn't workout either)

    Please give this method a try,

    I have used it for files that I was unable to see and it has worked.

    be aware my comps are all at SP3 level and all wireless

    You must do this on both comps

    Open Windows Explorer and select Tools, Folder Options, View, scroll to the
    bottom and UNTICK Use simple file sharing....select OK

    Now go to the files(s) you want to share and right click. One of the tabs
    should now be Security. Select it.

    In the top pane you can Add a user name. So select Add, enter the object
    name Everyone then in the lower pane Permissions for Everyone, Tick all the
    available Allow boxes except Full Control.....select OK.

    Now restart each computer.......then go to Windows Explorer, right click My
    Network Places, Explore.

    What Shared files appear now............

  4. Re: accessing shared folders

    thanks man, you've solved the problem, i had some conflicts in the permission
    (in wireless had full control but not on the main) apparently simple file
    sharing (which is recommended) is not that simple and not that recommended (i
    guess that how it works on microsoft!).
    thank you (i hope that explanation of mine wasn't that long :-) )!!!

    "(!)" wrote:

> [...]
    > > names and that didn't workout either)
    > >

    > Please give this method a try,
    >
    > I have used it for files that I was unable to see and it has worked.
    >
    > be aware my comps are all at SP3 level and all wireless
    >
    > You must do this on both comps
    >
    > Open Windows Explorer and select Tools, Folder Options, View, scroll to the
    > bottom and UNTICK Use simple file sharing....select OK
    >
    > Now go to the files(s) you want to share and right click. One of the tabs
    > should now be Security. Select it.
    >
    > In the top pane you can Add a user name. So select Add, enter the object
    > name Everyone then in the lower pane Permissions for Everyone, Tick all the
    > available Allow boxes except Full Control.....select OK.
    >
    > Now restart each computer.......then go to Windows Explorer, right click My
    > Network Places, Explore.
    >
    > What Shared files appear now............

  5. Re: accessing shared folders

    Hi
    Windows XP File Sharing -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Jack" wrote in message
    > hi,
    > i have problem in sharing files and folder and in workgroups for about a
    > month!
    > i've tried searching google, microsoft support, knowledge base and help
    > and
    > support center, and i couldn't find a solution for the problem.
    > i have win xp pro sp2 (on the wireless computer) and xp sp3 (on the main
    > computer) the 2 computer have ntfs systems with simple sharing enabled and
    > NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled and they also has the same firewall program
    > (sygate) and i allowed file sharing in the options of the program and even
    > disabled the firewall protection (windows firewall is disabled in the 2
    > comps
    > and i even allowed sharing in case) and have the computer browser
    > activated
    > in the 2 comps (services) and the 2 are in the same workgroup ("G2Home")
    > and
    > gained full access to shared folder (type 4 permission or something like
    > that) and also file and printer sharing for microsoft networks is
    > installed
    > in the 2 comps... and that's it that's all have did for the last week
    > trying
    > to solve the problem.
    >
    > the first time i shared the folder (i have 2 shared folder in the main and
    > 1
    > shared folder in the wireless) it didn't workout i started getting
    > "++++++++
    > is not accessible. you might not have permission to use this network
    > resource. contact the admin of this server (witch is me) to find out if
    > you
    > have access permission (i didn't understand that, first they tell me that
    > have got no access permission and after that they tell me to find whether
    > have access permission or not???!!!) path not found." msg, then found out
    > that the firewall blocked access then allowed access in the 2 comps and
    > started sharing after 2-3 days i had the same access denied msg so
    > searched
    > microsoft support and found the netbios then started sharing again and
    > again
    > 2/3 days the same msg tried everything else and nothing worked.
    >
    > bottom line: what shall i do to gain access to shared folders ( the main
    > can't access the wireless but can identify it and access his own shared
    > folder (thank God he can do something) the same for the wireless can't
    > access
    > main but identify and access his; yes (i can see the other comp shared
    > folder
    > in my network places but not in workgroup - and tried changing workgroup
    > names and that didn't workout either)

+ Reply to Thread