Strange problem... - Wireless

This is a discussion on Strange problem... - Wireless ; I have an XP laptop (dell) & a Vista laptop (Acer), both with built-in wireless networking. I can have both of them downstairs (WAP is upstairs) & the Vista laptop keep dropping the connection, while XP laptop has no problems. ...

  1. Strange problem...

    I have an XP laptop (dell) & a Vista laptop (Acer), both with built-in
    wireless networking.
    I can have both of them downstairs (WAP is upstairs) & the Vista
    laptop keep dropping the connection, while XP laptop has no problems.
    Any idea why?

  2. Re: Strange problem...

    "Mike" wrote in message
    >I have an XP laptop (dell) & a Vista laptop (Acer), both with built-in
    > wireless networking.
    > I can have both of them downstairs (WAP is upstairs) & the Vista
    > laptop keep dropping the connection, while XP laptop has no problems.
    > Any idea why?

    I'd think it's a function of the sensitivity of the wireless card. I've got
    several wireless devices-- laptops, Palmies, etc. and all do well near the
    wireless router in my home office at the back of my house. As distance
    increases toward the front of the house and even outside, some hold up well,
    some poop out. FWIW, my poorest performer is an Averatec laptop and my Acer
    laptop is second worst....

  3. Re: Strange problem...

    On Aug 27, 7:11*pm, "Runtime Error" wrote:
    > "Mike" wrote in message

    > >I have an XP laptop (dell) & a Vista laptop (Acer), both with built-in
    > > wireless networking.
    > > I can have both of them downstairs (WAP is upstairs) & the Vista
    > > laptop keep dropping the connection, while XP laptop has no problems.
    > > Any idea why?

    > I'd think it's a function of the sensitivity of the wireless card. I've got
    > several wireless devices-- laptops, Palmies, etc. and all do well near the
    > wireless router in my home office at the back of my house. As distance
    > increases toward the front of the house and even outside, some hold up well,
    > some poop out. FWIW, my poorest performer is an Averatec laptop and my Acer
    > laptop is second worst....

    Hopefully, one of those access point or range extenders will fix me up.

+ Reply to Thread