laptop can't find my router but can see next door's! - Wireless

This is a discussion on laptop can't find my router but can see next door's! - Wireless ; OK, just moved house, and my wireless router was working fine wired to a desktop with three laptops using it. Now we have moved house, and two laptops are fine and connect OK, but the windows XP one can't see ...

  1. laptop can't find my router but can see next door's!

    OK, just moved house, and my wireless router was working fine wired to a
    desktop with three laptops using it.
    Now we have moved house, and two laptops are fine and connect OK, but the
    windows XP one can't see our router, but can see the one next door fine. (The
    wired desktop is not connected yet)

    How can I make the laptop "see" our router?

  2. Re: laptop can't find my router but can see next door's!

    Are you broadcasting your SSID? If not you should do so since you can run
    into connectivity issues like this if you do not. Also make sure your using
    a unique SSID versus the default, ie. linksys for example. That will aid in
    connection.

    http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...sSecurity.html

    You also may need to change the channel on your wireless router to one that
    is not being used by anyone else in your neighborhood. You can use scanners
    like this to find a clear channel or a simple trial-n-error technique.

    http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php
    http://www.wlanbook.com/netstumbler-alternatives

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows – Desktop User Experience)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...
    How to ask a question
    http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

  3. Re: laptop can't find my router but can see next door's!

    On Aug 27, 12:53*pm, "Sooner Al [MVP]"
    wrote:
    > Are you broadcasting your SSID? If not you should do so since you can run
    > into connectivity issues like this if you do not. Also make sure your using
    > a unique SSID versus the default, ie. linksys for example. That will aid in
    > connection.
    >
    > http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...sSecurity.html
    >
    > You also may need to change the channel on your wireless router to one that
    > is not being used by anyone else in your neighborhood. You can use scanners
    > like this to find a clear channel or a simple trial-n-error technique.
    >
    > http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifito...r-alternatives
    >
    > --
    >
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Desktop User Experience)

    > mutual benefit of all of us...
    > The MS-MVP Program -http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > rights...
    > How to ask a questionhttp://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

    One should never use the default SSID that ships within most routers.
    There is a possibility that the next door's SSID might "overpower"
    your SSID if both use the same name.

    Also, you must check all / any anti-virus / firewall software. These
    now can block SSIDs unless you tell these to turst the SSID.

  4. Re: laptop can't find my router but can see next door's!

    Hi
    Try to look at the Wireless preferred table and clean it up.
    Set the advance check list to your specific preference.
    http://www.ezlan.net/wireless/wzc3.jpg
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    "jaycee_c" wrote in message
    > OK, just moved house, and my wireless router was working fine wired to a
    > desktop with three laptops using it.
    > Now we have moved house, and two laptops are fine and connect OK, but the
    > windows XP one can't see our router, but can see the one next door fine.
    > (The
    > wired desktop is not connected yet)
    >
    > How can I make the laptop "see" our router?

  5. Re: laptop can't find my router but can see next door's!

    I am writing this letter to ALL Wireless Router manufacturers.
    I have a Linksys Wireless Router Model:BEFW11S4. It is 7 years (yes, count
    them, all of seven little years) old. I have visited the Linksys website
    numerous times trying to set up the WEP/WPA security on that wireless router
    (as all responsible wireless router owners should!). I found that there are
    no links to any wireless router setting websites that are congruent with the
    screen shots from Linksys' own self help technical support site. I have had
    to call Linksys several times to resolve this issue only to be placed on hold
    for lengthy times (sometimes my call was dropped and I had to start over ....
    how sad for such a large company to have such poorly trained phone
    receptionists!), then be transferred (see previous comment about the phone
    receptionists) to a supposed supervisor, only to finally be transferred to
    someone who tells me that the warranty has expired and wants me to pay $40.00
    for the technical support to do the right thing that I want and need to do.
    First, the device works fine (as evidenced by this e-mail that you have
    just received)!
    Second, why should I have to pay for doing the right thing?
    Third, if I am going to be EXTORTED into buying a new wireless router so
    that I can do the right thing and set up an encryption key for a secure
    network, what on Gods' Green Earth makes anyone think that I would CHOOSE to
    buy another Linksys product when ALL that I have ever received from them is a
    functional wireless router (yes, even after seven whole years) and the
    crappiest Customer Service/Technical Support I have ever had the displeasure
    to encounter!
    I shall copy this letter and try to find as many Chat Rooms as possible in
    order to spread the word of ALL that I have gone through with the Chain of
    Command at the Linksys phone center, well above and beyond what any
    reasonable person should expect to go through, and still have NO RELIEF
    concerning my singular issue with their product and its capabilities that I
    SHOULD be able to enjoy as the owner of said product! What has happend to
    "The Customer Is Always Right" Customer Service mantra (I can't say "In
    America" because the call was handled in India)? Is the Customer, the ones
    that makes the company what it is through the purchase of products, so
    worthless to the company that they can just be treated with abject contempt
    and scorn? Is the Customer to thus be trampled underfoot? Are we paying to
    be so abused? I, for one (yes, one, the beginning of all), shall NOT be
    treated in such manner, and CERTAINLY shall NOT PAY to be treated as such!
    In this world of expanding technologies, it shall be those with the
    GREATEST Customer Appeal that shall continue to be found worthwile in the
    publics' eyes (and pocketbooks) and shall grow to meet the demands of a
    growing world - ESPECIALLY in the Electronics Department!
    It is now my strongest desire that the Linksys Corporation suffers
    irreparable damage and goes out of business for their Crappy Customer
    Service! I can only hope that I reach enough people around the world to bring
    this desire true!

    "smlunatick" wrote:

    > On Aug 27, 12:53 pm, "Sooner Al [MVP]"
    > wrote:
    > > Are you broadcasting your SSID? If not you should do so since you can run
    > > into connectivity issues like this if you do not. Also make sure your using
    > > a unique SSID versus the default, ie. linksys for example. That will aid in
    > > connection.
    > >
    > > http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...sSecurity.html
    > >
    > > You also may need to change the channel on your wireless router to one that
    > > is not being used by anyone else in your neighborhood. You can use scanners
    > > like this to find a clear channel or a simple trial-n-error technique.
    > >
    > > http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifito...r-alternatives
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows – Desktop User Experience)
    > >
    > > Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
    > > mutual benefit of all of us...
    > > The MS-MVP Program -http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > > rights...
    > > How to ask a questionhttp://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

    > One should never use the default SSID that ships within most routers.
    > There is a possibility that the next door's SSID might "overpower"
    > your SSID if both use the same name.
    >
    > Also, you must check all / any anti-virus / firewall software. These
    > now can block SSIDs unless you tell these to turst the SSID.

  6. Re: laptop can't find my router but can see next door's!

    "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

    > Are you broadcasting your SSID? If not you should do so since you can run
    > into connectivity issues like this if you do not. Also make sure your using
    > a unique SSID versus the default, ie. linksys for example. That will aid in
    > connection.
    >
    > http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...sSecurity.html
    >
    > You also may need to change the channel on your wireless router to one that
    > is not being used by anyone else in your neighborhood. You can use scanners
    > like this to find a clear channel or a simple trial-n-error technique.
    >
    > http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php
    > http://www.wlanbook.com/netstumbler-alternatives
    >
    > --
    >
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows – Desktop User Experience)

    > mutual benefit of all of us...
    > rights...
    > How to ask a question
    > http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375