Half speed wireless, full speed wired? - Wireless

This is a discussion on Half speed wireless, full speed wired? - Wireless ; I have a DSL modem connected to a linksys 4 port switch with wireless capabilities(802.11B), 3 computers ,2 wired directly to the switch(one Vista, one XP prof.), and an IBM laptop with a Microsoft MN-720 card(running XP Prof.). The signal ...

  1. Half speed wireless, full speed wired?

    I have a DSL modem connected to a linksys 4 port switch with wireless
    capabilities(802.11B), 3 computers ,2 wired directly to the switch(one Vista,
    one XP prof.), and an IBM laptop with a Microsoft MN-720 card(running XP
    Prof.). The signal to the laptop is exceptionally strong. I was running 6
    MB downloads to the wired computers(good numbers etc). I received 3Mb d.l. to
    the wireless laptop. I wire the laptop to the switch and receive 6MB. I
    upgraded to a 12 MB connection and the wired computers d.l. at 12 MB, but the
    laptop receives 6MB (1/2 actually). I wired the laptop to the switch and
    received 12 MB d.l. Is there a reason for the 1/2 speed d.l. on the laptop.
    Incidentally the wireless is encrypted but I repeated all of the above
    without encryption with the same results. I repeated this whole exercise on
    a different system and a different carrier with the same results. It seems
    as though the MN-720 card is not configured properly and I can't figure out
    how to configure it. Your help would be appreciated.
    thankyou very much . chas

  2. Re: Half speed wireless, full speed wired?

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 19:50:01 -0700, ChasX
    wrote:

    >>I have a DSL modem connected to a linksys 4 port switch with wireless
    >>capabilities(802.11B), 3 computers ,2 wired directly to the switch(one Vista,
    >>one XP prof.), and an IBM laptop with a Microsoft MN-720 card(running XP
    >>Prof.). The signal to the laptop is exceptionally strong. I was running 6
    >>MB downloads to the wired computers(good numbers etc). I received 3Mb d.l. to
    >>the wireless laptop. I wire the laptop to the switch and receive 6MB. I
    >>upgraded to a 12 MB connection and the wired computers d.l. at 12 MB, but the
    >>laptop receives 6MB (1/2 actually). I wired the laptop to the switch and
    >>received 12 MB d.l. Is there a reason for the 1/2 speed d.l. on the laptop.
    >>Incidentally the wireless is encrypted but I repeated all of the above
    >>without encryption with the same results. I repeated this whole exercise on
    >>a different system and a different carrier with the same results. It seems
    >>as though the MN-720 card is not configured properly and I can't figure out
    >>how to configure it. Your help would be appreciated.
    >>thankyou very much . chas

    Before you do any configuring, you might want to do a web search on
    comparing speeds between wireless and wired.
    --
    The seabat
    Filtering GoogleGroups & Groupies with extreme prejudice!

  3. Re: Half speed wireless, full speed wired?

    802.11b is your problem. 6-8 is about as good as it gets over "b"
    wireless. The MN720 is a "g" card. With a "g" or draft N wireless
    router you should see 22-24 at best.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP