Adding wireless to a wired Network - Wireless

This is a discussion on Adding wireless to a wired Network - Wireless ; Really need some input on this one. I have a Dlink cable modem and a Dlink 4 port wired router which are connected to two desktop computers by a 100 foot ethernet cable running thru the attic and down to ...

  1. Adding wireless to a wired Network

    Really need some input on this one.

    I have a Dlink cable modem and a Dlink 4 port wired router which are
    connected to two desktop computers by a 100 foot ethernet cable running thru
    the attic and down to each computer. I also set up a file/printer sharing
    network between them.

    I just purchased a laptop and want to connect it to my network by using its
    wireless features but I want to keep the wired network for the desktops. I’ve
    read a lot regarding access points, etc. but the more I read, the more I get
    confused. Also, want to do this in the least expensive way possible.

    Thanks for any help.

  2. Re: Adding wireless to a wired Network

    I would recommend trading in your present router for one with wireless
    capability. Most, if not all, home routers have a switch for your wire
    connections and antenna's for wireless. I think you can get one for $50 or
    less. Easier and less expensive than getting an AP.

    Make sure you set up security with at least WPA that both the router and new
    laptop should support.

    "powerwalk" wrote in message
    > Really need some input on this one.
    >
    > I have a Dlink cable modem and a Dlink 4 port wired router which are
    > connected to two desktop computers by a 100 foot ethernet cable running
    > thru
    > the attic and down to each computer. I also set up a file/printer sharing
    > network between them.
    >
    > I just purchased a laptop and want to connect it to my network by using
    > its
    > wireless features but I want to keep the wired network for the desktops. I've
    > read a lot regarding access points, etc. but the more I read, the more I
    > get
    > confused. Also, want to do this in the least expensive way possible.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

  3. Re: Adding wireless to a wired Network

    "powerwalk" wrote in message
    > Really need some input on this one.
    >
    > I have a Dlink cable modem and a Dlink 4 port wired router which are
    > connected to two desktop computers by a 100 foot ethernet cable running
    > thru
    > the attic and down to each computer. I also set up a file/printer sharing
    > network between them.
    >
    > I just purchased a laptop and want to connect it to my network by using
    > its
    > wireless features but I want to keep the wired network for the desktops.
    > I've
    > read a lot regarding access points, etc. but the more I read, the more I
    > get
    > confused. Also, want to do this in the least expensive way possible.

    By all means, check out the powerline network adapters, like this:
    http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=533

    It is not exactly wireless techology but:
    - confusion free and still secure
    - no-brainer easy to setup and use
    - costs only slightly more than cheap wi-fi adapters.

    Regards,
    --PA

  4. Re: Adding wireless to a wired Network

    Hi
    Assuming that your are in North America. Wire or Wireless Routers cost the
    same, and both cost much less than an Access Point.
    So get a new Wireless Router and either replace the current Router, or leave
    the network as is, and use the Wireless Router as an Access Point.
    Using a Wireless Router as a switch with an Access Point -
    http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    "powerwalk" wrote in message
    > Really need some input on this one.
    >
    > I have a Dlink cable modem and a Dlink 4 port wired router which are
    > connected to two desktop computers by a 100 foot ethernet cable running
    > thru
    > the attic and down to each computer. I also set up a file/printer sharing
    > network between them.
    >
    > I just purchased a laptop and want to connect it to my network by using
    > its
    > wireless features but I want to keep the wired network for the desktops. I’ve
    > read a lot regarding access points, etc. but the more I read, the more I
    > get
    > confused. Also, want to do this in the least expensive way possible.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

  5. Re: Adding wireless to a wired Network

    Thanks to all who took the time to share their networking knowledge with me.
    Your input is sincerely appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread