WEP and WPA2 both on at the same time? - Wireless

This is a discussion on WEP and WPA2 both on at the same time? - Wireless ; I have a new d-Link 655 n router which I have set the wep encryption on so that my old Dell Axim PDA can still access the wireless. I want to switch to the n protocol, but that requires that ...

  1. WEP and WPA2 both on at the same time?

    I have a new d-Link 655 n router which I have set the wep encryption
    on so that my old Dell Axim PDA can still access the wireless. I want
    to switch to the n protocol, but that requires that I switch to
    WPA/PA2 encryption, which the PDA does not support.

    Is it possible to have both EP and WPA2 encryption on at the same
    time?

    Thanks in Advance.

  2. Re: WEP and WPA2 both on at the same time?

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 10:12:22 -0700, none wrote:

    > I have a new d-Link 655 n router which I have set the wep encryption on
    > so that my old Dell Axim PDA can still access the wireless. I want to
    > switch to the n protocol, but that requires that I switch to WPA/PA2
    > encryption, which the PDA does not support.
    >
    > Is it possible to have both EP and WPA2 encryption on at the same time?
    >
    > Thanks in Advance.

    What model Axim do you have? I thought the provided Odyssey client would
    provide WPA functionality? It did on my brothers Axim because he used it
    on my home wireless network. Have you checked the Dell site for help?

    You also might post to or search the microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless
    news group for an authoritative answer.

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...
    How to ask a question
    http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

  3. Re: WEP and WPA2 both on at the same time?

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 10:24:57 -0700, Sooner Al [MVP] wrote:

    > On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 10:12:22 -0700, none wrote:
    >
    >> I have a new d-Link 655 n router which I have set the wep encryption on
    >> so that my old Dell Axim PDA can still access the wireless. I want to
    >> switch to the n protocol, but that requires that I switch to WPA/PA2
    >> encryption, which the PDA does not support.
    >>
    >> Is it possible to have both EP and WPA2 encryption on at the same time?
    >>
    >> Thanks in Advance.

    > What model Axim do you have? I thought the provided Odyssey client would
    > provide WPA functionality? It did on my brothers Axim because he used it
    > on my home wireless network. Have you checked the Dell site for help?
    >
    > You also might post to or search the microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless
    > news group for an authoritative answer.

    You also might post/search this forum...

    http://www.dellcommunity.com/support...d.id=aximgensw

    ....or search on this forum...

    http://www.dellcommunity.com/support...d=aximwireless

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...
    How to ask a question
    http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

  4. Re: WEP and WPA2 both on at the same time?

    Axim X50v

    wrote:

    >On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 10:12:22 -0700, none wrote:
    >
    >> I have a new d-Link 655 n router which I have set the wep encryption on
    >> so that my old Dell Axim PDA can still access the wireless. I want to
    >> switch to the n protocol, but that requires that I switch to WPA/PA2
    >> encryption, which the PDA does not support.
    >>
    >> Is it possible to have both EP and WPA2 encryption on at the same time?
    >>
    >> Thanks in Advance.

    >What model Axim do you have? I thought the provided Odyssey client would
    >provide WPA functionality? It did on my brothers Axim because he used it
    >on my home wireless network. Have you checked the Dell site for help?
    >
    >You also might post to or search the microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless
    >news group for an authoritative answer.

  5. Re: WEP and WPA2 both on at the same time?

    Thanks for the info.

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 10:30:52 -0700, "Sooner Al [MVP]"
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 10:24:57 -0700, Sooner Al [MVP] wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 10:12:22 -0700, none wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a new d-Link 655 n router which I have set the wep encryption on
    >>> so that my old Dell Axim PDA can still access the wireless. I want to
    >>> switch to the n protocol, but that requires that I switch to WPA/PA2
    >>> encryption, which the PDA does not support.
    >>>
    >>> Is it possible to have both EP and WPA2 encryption on at the same time?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in Advance.

    >> What model Axim do you have? I thought the provided Odyssey client would
    >> provide WPA functionality? It did on my brothers Axim because he used it
    >> on my home wireless network. Have you checked the Dell site for help?
    >>
    >> You also might post to or search the microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless
    >> news group for an authoritative answer.

    >You also might post/search this forum...
    >
    >http://www.dellcommunity.com/support...d.id=aximgensw
    >
    >...or search on this forum...
    >
    >http://www.dellcommunity.com/support...d=aximwireless

  6. Re: WEP and WPA2 both on at the same time?

    wrote in message
    >I have a new d-Link 655 n router which I have set the wep encryption
    > on so that my old Dell Axim PDA can still access the wireless. I want
    > to switch to the n protocol, but that requires that I switch to
    > WPA/PA2 encryption, which the PDA does not support.
    >
    > Is it possible to have both EP and WPA2 encryption on at the same
    > time?
    >
    > Thanks in Advance.

    The short answer is NO; all stations on the network must use the same
    encryption level.

    regards Sven.

  7. Re: WEP and WPA2 both on at the same time?

    Than's what i thought. Now to see if the PDA will take WPA.

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 21:11:03 +0200, "Sven Pran"
    wrote:

    > wrote in message
    >>I have a new d-Link 655 n router which I have set the wep encryption
    >> on so that my old Dell Axim PDA can still access the wireless. I want
    >> to switch to the n protocol, but that requires that I switch to
    >> WPA/PA2 encryption, which the PDA does not support.
    >>
    >> Is it possible to have both EP and WPA2 encryption on at the same
    >> time?
    >>
    >> Thanks in Advance.

    >The short answer is NO; all stations on the network must use the same
    >encryption level.
    >
    >regards Sven.

  8. Re: WEP and WPA2 both on at the same time?

    Hi
    Maybe this can Help,
    http://wifi.aximsite.com/axim-03se.html
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    wrote in message
    >I have a new d-Link 655 n router which I have set the wep encryption
    > on so that my old Dell Axim PDA can still access the wireless. I want
    > to switch to the n protocol, but that requires that I switch to
    > WPA/PA2 encryption, which the PDA does not support.
    >
    > Is it possible to have both EP and WPA2 encryption on at the same
    > time?
    >
    > Thanks in Advance.

  9. Re: WEP and WPA2 both on at the same time?

    Actually it is possible to have different encryption types but not with the
    AP you have. If you have an advanced Cisco Aironet with a router so you can
    have different VLAN's with entirely different settings to include encrytion.
    Not easy to do but possible.

    > Hi
    > Maybe this can Help,
    > http://wifi.aximsite.com/axim-03se.html
    > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >
    > wrote in message
    >>I have a new d-Link 655 n router which I have set the wep encryption
    >> on so that my old Dell Axim PDA can still access the wireless. I want
    >> to switch to the n protocol, but that requires that I switch to
    >> WPA/PA2 encryption, which the PDA does not support.
    >>
    >> Is it possible to have both EP and WPA2 encryption on at the same
    >> time?
    >>
    >> Thanks in Advance.

  10. Re: WEP and WPA2 both on at the same time?

    While not quite what the OP wanted, the Netgear WG602 (and possibly others)
    has a choice that allows WPA with TKIP and WPA2 with AES simultaneously.
    Older laptops get WPA, newer ones get WPA2. When all the older ones all go
    away, I switch to WPA2 only. I only use these where people demand using the
    built-in wireless, otherwise I'd just stuff a USB or PCMCIA card in it and
    do WPA2 only.

    Gregg Hill

    "Sven Pran" wrote in message

    > wrote in message
    >>I have a new d-Link 655 n router which I have set the wep encryption
    >> on so that my old Dell Axim PDA can still access the wireless. I want
    >> to switch to the n protocol, but that requires that I switch to
    >> WPA/PA2 encryption, which the PDA does not support.
    >>
    >> Is it possible to have both EP and WPA2 encryption on at the same
    >> time?
    >>
    >> Thanks in Advance.

    > The short answer is NO; all stations on the network must use the same
    > encryption level.
    >
    > regards Sven.

+ Reply to Thread