Strange XP SP3 wireless problem - Wireless

This is a discussion on Strange XP SP3 wireless problem - Wireless ; Hello! I am helping someone remotely and typing this as I attempt to fix the problem. I have a user with a Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop that has a bizarre problem with its integrated Intel 2200BG wireless connection. When hard-wired, ...

  1. Strange XP SP3 wireless problem

    Hello!

    I am helping someone remotely and typing this as I attempt to fix the
    problem.

    I have a user with a Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop that has a bizarre problem
    with its integrated Intel 2200BG wireless connection. When hard-wired, the
    laptop works fine. When connected via wireless, it cannot browse the web,
    but it can ping by IP and by domain name.

    It has XP Pro SP3 with all current updates, the driver is the latest from
    Dell, and I tried the latest one from Intel. It connects to a Netgear WGR614
    wireless router with its latest firmware.

    I have a strong signal and either letting Windows manage the connection or
    using the Intel ProSet management app results in the same behavior. What is
    so odd is that ping by name or IP works (network layer?) but browsing does
    not, which is at the application layer. I can Telnet to a mail server on
    port 143 (telnet is app layer). Uh, oh, here is an update. It actually just
    loaded Google, but only several minutes after opening IE7 (same result with
    Firefox). It is EXTREMELY slow. I have a remote control application that
    normally takes a few seconds to reconnect if the computer is rebooted (it
    does reconnect quickly to me when hard-wired) but it takes over 10 minutes
    to reconnect via her wireless connection.

    What could be causing such extremely slow wireless behavior? If we plug in a
    cable, it is blazing fast. I have reset the TCP stack as well as Winsock to
    no avail.

    Any gurus with ideas?

    Thank you!

    Gregg Hill

  2. Re: Strange XP SP3 wireless problem

    You may try to reset wireless. Or this post may help.

    After installing SP3 XP loses Internet connection
    http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...hp?p=7648#7648

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > Hello!
    >
    > I am helping someone remotely and typing this as I attempt to fix the
    > problem.
    >
    > I have a user with a Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop that has a bizarre problem
    > with its integrated Intel 2200BG wireless connection. When hard-wired, the
    > laptop works fine. When connected via wireless, it cannot browse the web,
    > but it can ping by IP and by domain name.
    >
    > It has XP Pro SP3 with all current updates, the driver is the latest from
    > Dell, and I tried the latest one from Intel. It connects to a Netgear
    > WGR614 wireless router with its latest firmware.
    >
    > I have a strong signal and either letting Windows manage the connection or
    > using the Intel ProSet management app results in the same behavior. What
    > is so odd is that ping by name or IP works (network layer?) but browsing
    > does not, which is at the application layer. I can Telnet to a mail server
    > on port 143 (telnet is app layer). Uh, oh, here is an update. It actually
    > just loaded Google, but only several minutes after opening IE7 (same
    > result with Firefox). It is EXTREMELY slow. I have a remote control
    > application that normally takes a few seconds to reconnect if the computer
    > is rebooted (it does reconnect quickly to me when hard-wired) but it takes
    > over 10 minutes to reconnect via her wireless connection.
    >
    > What could be causing such extremely slow wireless behavior? If we plug in
    > a cable, it is blazing fast. I have reset the TCP stack as well as Winsock
    > to no avail.
    >
    > Any gurus with ideas?
    >
    > Thank you!
    >
    > Gregg Hill

  3. Re: Strange XP SP3 wireless problem

    Robert,

    What do you mean by "reset the wireless"? The link you gave me goes to an
    article showing someone who has a possibly related problem, but there was no
    solution that I have not already tried.

    Here are the steps I have taken:

    Reset the TCP stack using "netsh int ip reset c:\reset.log"
    Reset Winsock using "netsh winsock reset"
    Used Windows wireless management
    Used Intel ProSet wireless management
    Reset the router (it only goes up to WPA-PSK, not WPA2)
    Deleted the wireless card from Device Manager and had it re-install
    Used latest Dell drivers
    Used latest Intel drivers

    I will Google for "Network Access Protection" to see if I can kill that as a
    possible cause.

    Thank you for your help!

    Gregg Hill

    "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote in message
    > You may try to reset wireless. Or this post may help.
    >
    > After installing SP3 XP loses Internet connection
    > http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...hp?p=7648#7648
    >
    > --
    > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    > "Gregg Hill" wrote
    > in message news:OpgV35BBJHA.820@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
    >> Hello!
    >>
    >> I am helping someone remotely and typing this as I attempt to fix the
    >> problem.
    >>
    >> I have a user with a Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop that has a bizarre problem
    >> with its integrated Intel 2200BG wireless connection. When hard-wired,
    >> the laptop works fine. When connected via wireless, it cannot browse the
    >> web, but it can ping by IP and by domain name.
    >>
    >> It has XP Pro SP3 with all current updates, the driver is the latest from
    >> Dell, and I tried the latest one from Intel. It connects to a Netgear
    >> WGR614 wireless router with its latest firmware.
    >>
    >> I have a strong signal and either letting Windows manage the connection
    >> or using the Intel ProSet management app results in the same behavior.
    >> What is so odd is that ping by name or IP works (network layer?) but
    >> browsing does not, which is at the application layer. I can Telnet to a
    >> mail server on port 143 (telnet is app layer). Uh, oh, here is an update.
    >> It actually just loaded Google, but only several minutes after opening
    >> IE7 (same result with Firefox). It is EXTREMELY slow. I have a remote
    >> control application that normally takes a few seconds to reconnect if the
    >> computer is rebooted (it does reconnect quickly to me when hard-wired)
    >> but it takes over 10 minutes to reconnect via her wireless connection.
    >>
    >> What could be causing such extremely slow wireless behavior? If we plug
    >> in a cable, it is blazing fast. I have reset the TCP stack as well as
    >> Winsock to no avail.
    >>
    >> Any gurus with ideas?
    >>
    >> Thank you!
    >>
    >> Gregg Hill

  4. Re: Strange XP SP3 wireless problem

    Do you use Microsoft WZC?

    --
    message news:OuuCntHBJHA.1004@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
    > Robert,
    >
    > What do you mean by "reset the wireless"? The link you gave me goes to an
    > article showing someone who has a possibly related problem, but there was
    > no solution that I have not already tried.
    >
    > Here are the steps I have taken:
    >
    > Reset the TCP stack using "netsh int ip reset c:\reset.log"
    > Reset Winsock using "netsh winsock reset"
    > Used Windows wireless management
    > Used Intel ProSet wireless management
    > Reset the router (it only goes up to WPA-PSK, not WPA2)
    > Deleted the wireless card from Device Manager and had it re-install
    > Used latest Dell drivers
    > Used latest Intel drivers
    >
    > I will Google for "Network Access Protection" to see if I can kill that as
    > a possible cause.
    >
    > Thank you for your help!
    >
    > Gregg Hill
    >

    > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote in message
    >> You may try to reset wireless. Or this post may help.
    >>
    >> After installing SP3 XP loses Internet connection
    >> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...hp?p=7648#7648
    >>
    >> --
    >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    >> "Gregg Hill" wrote
    >> in message news:OpgV35BBJHA.820@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
    >>> Hello!
    >>>
    >>> I am helping someone remotely and typing this as I attempt to fix the
    >>> problem.
    >>>
    >>> I have a user with a Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop that has a bizarre
    >>> problem with its integrated Intel 2200BG wireless connection. When
    >>> hard-wired, the laptop works fine. When connected via wireless, it
    >>> cannot browse the web, but it can ping by IP and by domain name.
    >>>
    >>> It has XP Pro SP3 with all current updates, the driver is the latest
    >>> from Dell, and I tried the latest one from Intel. It connects to a
    >>> Netgear WGR614 wireless router with its latest firmware.
    >>>
    >>> I have a strong signal and either letting Windows manage the connection
    >>> or using the Intel ProSet management app results in the same behavior.
    >>> What is so odd is that ping by name or IP works (network layer?) but
    >>> browsing does not, which is at the application layer. I can Telnet to a
    >>> mail server on port 143 (telnet is app layer). Uh, oh, here is an
    >>> update. It actually just loaded Google, but only several minutes after
    >>> opening IE7 (same result with Firefox). It is EXTREMELY slow. I have a
    >>> remote control application that normally takes a few seconds to
    >>> reconnect if the computer is rebooted (it does reconnect quickly to me
    >>> when hard-wired) but it takes over 10 minutes to reconnect via her
    >>> wireless connection.
    >>>
    >>> What could be causing such extremely slow wireless behavior? If we plug
    >>> in a cable, it is blazing fast. I have reset the TCP stack as well as
    >>> Winsock to no avail.
    >>>
    >>> Any gurus with ideas?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you!
    >>>
    >>> Gregg Hill

  5. Re: Strange XP SP3 wireless problem

    Used Windows wireless management
    Used Intel ProSet wireless management

    Same result.

    > Do you use Microsoft WZC?
    >
    > --
    > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    > "Gregg Hill" wrote
    > in message news:OuuCntHBJHA.1004@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
    >> Robert,
    >>
    >> What do you mean by "reset the wireless"? The link you gave me goes to an
    >> article showing someone who has a possibly related problem, but there was
    >> no solution that I have not already tried.
    >>
    >> Here are the steps I have taken:
    >>
    >> Reset the TCP stack using "netsh int ip reset c:\reset.log"
    >> Reset Winsock using "netsh winsock reset"
    >> Used Windows wireless management
    >> Used Intel ProSet wireless management
    >> Reset the router (it only goes up to WPA-PSK, not WPA2)
    >> Deleted the wireless card from Device Manager and had it re-install
    >> Used latest Dell drivers
    >> Used latest Intel drivers
    >>
    >> I will Google for "Network Access Protection" to see if I can kill that
    >> as a possible cause.
    >>
    >> Thank you for your help!
    >>
    >> Gregg Hill
    >>

    >> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote in message
    >>> You may try to reset wireless. Or this post may help.
    >>>
    >>> After installing SP3 XP loses Internet connection
    >>> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...hp?p=7648#7648
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    >>> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
    >>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    >>> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
    >>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com

  6. Re: Strange XP SP3 wireless problem

    I just found this article when Googling dozens of complaints about this
    Intel wireless card.

    http://support.intel.com/support/wir.../cs-006205.htm

    Some say it fixed it, other say not. Some say old drivers work fine while
    new ones do not.

    I will go there on Monday to try both that article and old drivers, and I'll
    bring a newer wireless router to use as a test.

  7. Re: Strange XP SP3 wireless problem

    Please keep us update.

    --
    message news:OD9PDBJBJHA.1892@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
    >I just found this article when Googling dozens of complaints about this
    >Intel wireless card.
    >
    > http://support.intel.com/support/wir.../cs-006205.htm
    >
    > Some say it fixed it, other say not. Some say old drivers work fine while
    > new ones do not.
    >
    > I will go there on Monday to try both that article and old drivers, and
    > I'll bring a newer wireless router to use as a test.
    >
    > Gregg Hill
    >

    > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote in message
    >> Do you use Microsoft WZC?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    >> "Gregg Hill" wrote
    >> in message news:OuuCntHBJHA.1004@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
    >>> Robert,
    >>>
    >>> What do you mean by "reset the wireless"? The link you gave me goes to
    >>> an article showing someone who has a possibly related problem, but there
    >>> was no solution that I have not already tried.
    >>>
    >>> Here are the steps I have taken:
    >>>
    >>> Reset the TCP stack using "netsh int ip reset c:\reset.log"
    >>> Reset Winsock using "netsh winsock reset"
    >>> Used Windows wireless management
    >>> Used Intel ProSet wireless management
    >>> Reset the router (it only goes up to WPA-PSK, not WPA2)
    >>> Deleted the wireless card from Device Manager and had it re-install
    >>> Used latest Dell drivers
    >>> Used latest Intel drivers
    >>>
    >>> I will Google for "Network Access Protection" to see if I can kill that
    >>> as a possible cause.
    >>>
    >>> Thank you for your help!
    >>>
    >>> Gregg Hill
    >>>

    >>> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote in message

  8. Re: Strange XP SP3 wireless problem

    Have you seen this?

    Newsgroups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,
    comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking,
    microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless
    From: BigAl...@gmail.com
    Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 23:31:58 -0700 (PDT)
    Subject: Re: Simple file sharing on Workgroup in XP

    >If that works, the problem you described is probably caused by a registry
    >setting. Run the registry editor on PC1 and open this key:
    >HLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\LSA

    >Set the value RestrictAnonymous to 0. Reboot and try browsing PC1 again.

    --PA

    "Gregg Hill" wrote in
    message news:OD9PDBJBJHA.1892@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
    > I just found this article when Googling dozens of complaints about this
    > Intel wireless card.
    >
    > http://support.intel.com/support/wir.../cs-006205.htm
    >
    > Some say it fixed it, other say not. Some say old drivers work fine while
    > new ones do not.
    >
    > I will go there on Monday to try both that article and old drivers, and
    > I'll bring a newer wireless router to use as a test.
    >
    > Gregg Hill
    >

    > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote in message
    >> Do you use Microsoft WZC?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    >> "Gregg Hill" wrote
    >> in message news:OuuCntHBJHA.1004@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
    >>> Robert,
    >>>
    >>> What do you mean by "reset the wireless"? The link you gave me goes to
    >>> an article showing someone who has a possibly related problem, but there
    >>> was no solution that I have not already tried.
    >>>
    >>> Here are the steps I have taken:
    >>>
    >>> Reset the TCP stack using "netsh int ip reset c:\reset.log"
    >>> Reset Winsock using "netsh winsock reset"
    >>> Used Windows wireless management
    >>> Used Intel ProSet wireless management
    >>> Reset the router (it only goes up to WPA-PSK, not WPA2)
    >>> Deleted the wireless card from Device Manager and had it re-install
    >>> Used latest Dell drivers
    >>> Used latest Intel drivers
    >>>
    >>> I will Google for "Network Access Protection" to see if I can kill that
    >>> as a possible cause.
    >>>
    >>> Thank you for your help!
    >>>
    >>> Gregg Hill
    >>>

    >>> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote in message

  9. Re: Strange XP SP3 wireless problem

    No I did not, but what does it have to do with extremely slow wireless web
    browsing? The RestrictAnonymous reg key is related to computers browsing
    each other on a network, not a computer browsing the Internet, as far as I
    know.

    As I noted, my problem is with browsing the web when connected via wireless
    vs. no problem when a cable is used.

    Gregg

    "Pavel A." wrote in message
    > Have you seen this?
    >

    > Newsgroups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,
    > comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking,
    > microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless
    > From: BigAl...@gmail.com
    > Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 23:31:58 -0700 (PDT)
    > Subject: Re: Simple file sharing on Workgroup in XP
    >
    >>If that works, the problem you described is probably caused by a registry
    >>setting. Run the registry editor on PC1 and open this key:
    >>HLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\LSA

    >>Set the value RestrictAnonymous to 0. Reboot and try browsing PC1 again.

    > --PA
    >

    > "Gregg Hill" wrote
    > in message news:OD9PDBJBJHA.1892@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
    >> I just found this article when Googling dozens of complaints about this
    >> Intel wireless card.
    >>
    >> http://support.intel.com/support/wir.../cs-006205.htm
    >>
    >> Some say it fixed it, other say not. Some say old drivers work fine while
    >> new ones do not.
    >>
    >> I will go there on Monday to try both that article and old drivers, and
    >> I'll bring a newer wireless router to use as a test.
    >>
    >> Gregg Hill
    >>

    >> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote in message
    >>> Do you use Microsoft WZC?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    >>> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
    >>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    >>> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
    >>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com

  10. Re: Strange XP SP3 wireless problem SOLVED

    Well, it is fixed.

    I Googled some more and MANY found references to the Intel 2200BG, XP SP3,
    WPA-PSK using TKIP encryption, and using the latest drivers. That is exactly
    what I had.

    I went there today and tried turning off the power mode on the laptop per
    Intel's article, with no change. I then decided to try it without any
    security, due to the Google search hits. It was fast and behaving normally.
    I re-enabled the Netgear WGR614 v3 router's maximum encryption, which was
    WPA-PSK with TKIP, even with the latest firmware, and tested again. Slow as
    cold molasses!

    It would again ping by IP or FQDN, but took REALLY LONG to connect to any
    site in a browser. One Google search suggested older drivers, so I loaded
    some old 2004 drivers. Presto! Normal fast web browsing...for about ten
    minutes, then it BSOD'd on me! Several times.

    At this point, I asked the client (a home user) to go buy another router
    while I removed the old drivers causing the BSOD. Those old drivers only had
    a max of WPA-PSK with TKIP, anyway. I recommended a Linksys WRT54G and he
    came back with a Linksys WRT160N router. I set it up with WPA2-PSK and AES,
    then removed the old drivers on the laptop and reinstalled the latest
    drivers-only package (which did not work well before on the Netgear router)
    and it works great. There is definitely a problem with the combination of
    the Intel 2200BG with XP SP3 and WPA-PSK using TKIP encryption and using the
    latest drivers.

    > Please keep us update.
    >
    > --
    > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    > "Gregg Hill" wrote
    > in message news:OD9PDBJBJHA.1892@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
    >>I just found this article when Googling dozens of complaints about this
    >>Intel wireless card.
    >>
    >> http://support.intel.com/support/wir.../cs-006205.htm
    >>
    >> Some say it fixed it, other say not. Some say old drivers work fine while
    >> new ones do not.
    >>
    >> I will go there on Monday to try both that article and old drivers, and
    >> I'll bring a newer wireless router to use as a test.
    >>
    >> Gregg Hill
    >>

    >> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote in message
    >>> Do you use Microsoft WZC?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    >>> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
    >>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    >>> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
    >>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com

  11. Strange XP SP3 wireless problem SOLVED

    Greg:

    I donīt know if you solve your problem with your 2200BG. Somebody on the net said that 2200BG is not BG but B only. So, I changed in: start>control panel>system> hardware> manager> network adapters>, double click on Intel(R) PRO/wire......; click on advanced; on "wireless mode" uncheck default and change definition to "802.11b only" and good luck. I am working happy and very fine right now.

    Regards

    M Gordillo

  12. Re: Strange XP SP3 wireless problem SOLVED

    Marcos Gordillo wrote:
    > Greg:
    >
    > I donīt know if you solve your problem with your 2200BG. Somebody on the net said that 2200BG is not BG but B only. So, I changed in: start>control panel>system> hardware> manager> network adapters>, double click onIntel(R) PRO/wire......; click on advanced; on "wireless mode" uncheck default and change definition to "802.11b only" and good luck. I am working happy and very fine right now.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > M Gordillo

    2200 is B and G (unless changed by a system vendor).
    The B-only device was 2100.

    Regards,
    --PA

  13. Re: Strange XP SP3 wireless problem SOLVED, really, it is!

    As stated in my first sentence of the last post, "Well, it is fixed."

    Yes, the 2200BG is a dual device, and it works perfectly with WPA2-PSK and
    AES encryption. All the details are in my previous post.

    Gregg Hill

    wrote in message news:200811520359mtgordillo@gmail.com...
    > Greg:
    >
    > I donīt know if you solve your problem with your 2200BG. Somebody on the
    > net said that 2200BG is not BG but B only. So, I changed in: start>control
    > panel>system> hardware> manager> network adapters>, double click on
    > Intel(R) PRO/wire......; click on advanced; on "wireless mode" uncheck
    > default and change definition to "802.11b only" and good luck. I am
    > working happy and very fine right now.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > M Gordillo

+ Reply to Thread