Need help finding the IP for my Wireless Access Point - Wireless

This is a discussion on Need help finding the IP for my Wireless Access Point - Wireless ; I got a netgear WAP and plugged it into my router. The indicator light that shows it has found a network lights up on the WAP. The instructions say to type in the IP on the back of the WAP ...

  1. Need help finding the IP for my Wireless Access Point

    I got a netgear WAP and plugged it into my router. The indicator light
    that shows it has found a network lights up on the WAP. The
    instructions say to type in the IP on the back of the WAP to access
    its internal setups however it always brings up a page can't be
    displayed. I turned off my firewall. I thought I might have to add the
    IP to my dlink router setup but not sure what settings to choose if I
    do that. I'm sorry I'm such a networking loser. I'm stuck. What's
    scary to me is accessing the IP on the back of the WAP is supposed to
    be the easy part! Can anyone offer suggestions?

  2. Re: Need help finding the IP for my Wireless Access Point

    DoItUrselfer wrote:
    > I got a netgear WAP and plugged it into my router. The indicator light
    > that shows it has found a network lights up on the WAP. The
    > instructions say to type in the IP on the back of the WAP to access
    > its internal setups however it always brings up a page can't be
    > displayed. I turned off my firewall. I thought I might have to add the
    > IP to my dlink router setup but not sure what settings to choose if I
    > do that. I'm sorry I'm such a networking loser. I'm stuck. What's
    > scary to me is accessing the IP on the back of the WAP is supposed to
    > be the easy part! Can anyone offer suggestions?

    "The IP on the back" sounds as if it's a fixed, pre-set IP. That won't
    work for an arbitrary network.

    The WAP's IP and your computer must be in the same subnet in order for
    you to reach the WAP's configuration page. That's why the Netgear WAP
    setup instructions usually start by telling you to (temporarily)
    configure the pc that you're going to use to configure the WAP by
    setting a static IP that's compatible with the default IP of the WAP.

    What model Netgear WAP do you have?

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

  3. Re: Need help finding the IP for my Wireless Access Point

    You didn't say how your PC/laptop is connected to the WAP.

    Use an ethernet cable to connect your PC to the WAP. Restart both (WAP then
    the PC). Try connecting to that IP again. If that doesn't work, reset your
    WAP.

    "DoItUrselfer" wrote in message
    >I got a netgear WAP and plugged it into my router. The indicator light
    > that shows it has found a network lights up on the WAP. The
    > instructions say to type in the IP on the back of the WAP to access
    > its internal setups however it always brings up a page can't be
    > displayed. I turned off my firewall. I thought I might have to add the
    > IP to my dlink router setup but not sure what settings to choose if I
    > do that. I'm sorry I'm such a networking loser. I'm stuck. What's
    > scary to me is accessing the IP on the back of the WAP is supposed to
    > be the easy part! Can anyone offer suggestions?

  4. Re: Need help finding the IP for my Wireless Access Point

    Hi
    Plug the WAP into a PC (not connected to the Router), configure the computer
    TXP/IP to a static IP of the same sunbet as the one the the WAP default is.
    Example, if the WAP default is 192.168.1.1 configure the computer to
    192.198.1.10 log to the WAP and configure the IP to be of the subnet of the
    Main Router.
    Example, if the Router is 192.168.0.1 configure the WAP to 192.165.0.200
    Change the computer's IP back to auto obtain and plug every thing as needed.
    This page was written for Wireless Router but the principles are the same,
    http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    "DoItUrselfer" wrote in message
    >I got a netgear WAP and plugged it into my router. The indicator light
    > that shows it has found a network lights up on the WAP. The
    > instructions say to type in the IP on the back of the WAP to access
    > its internal setups however it always brings up a page can't be
    > displayed. I turned off my firewall. I thought I might have to add the
    > IP to my dlink router setup but not sure what settings to choose if I
    > do that. I'm sorry I'm such a networking loser. I'm stuck. What's
    > scary to me is accessing the IP on the back of the WAP is supposed to
    > be the easy part! Can anyone offer suggestions?

+ Reply to Thread