How to reset router Admin password on Gigafast WF719-CAPR ? - Wireless

This is a discussion on How to reset router Admin password on Gigafast WF719-CAPR ? - Wireless ; My sister has this older wireless router. The router does what it's suppose to but now she has a new PC and she doesn't know the password and can't get into the settings. The reset switch doesn't work to reset ...

  1. How to reset router Admin password on Gigafast WF719-CAPR ?

    My sister has this older wireless router. The router does what it's
    suppose to but now she has a new PC and she doesn't know the password
    and can't get into the settings. The reset switch doesn't work to
    reset the unit, which is ridiculous. Afterall, the $10 router isn't
    protecting a bank but a home. Even my D-Link resets the router default
    settings by doing a hard reset.

    Does anyone have any ideas on how to reset the Admin Password?

  2. Re: How to reset router Admin password on Gigafast WF719-CAPR ?

    Have you looked online for the manufacturer of this router to see if they
    have any instructions about it. ?

    --
    Joan Archer
    http://www.freewebs.com/crossstitcher

    "Pauline" wrote in message
    > My sister has this older wireless router. The router does what it's
    > suppose to but now she has a new PC and she doesn't know the password
    > and can't get into the settings. The reset switch doesn't work to
    > reset the unit, which is ridiculous. Afterall, the $10 router isn't
    > protecting a bank but a home. Even my D-Link resets the router default
    > settings by doing a hard reset.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas on how to reset the Admin Password?

  3. Re: How to reset router Admin password on Gigafast WF719-CAPR ?

    On Aug 20, 6:38*am, Pauline wrote:
    > My sister has this older wireless router. *The router does what it's
    > suppose to but now she has a new PC and she doesn't know the password
    > and can't get into the settings. The reset switch doesn't work to
    > reset the unit, which is ridiculous. Afterall, the $10 router isn't
    > protecting a bank but a home. Even my D-Link resets the router default
    > settings by doing a hard reset.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas on how to reset the Admin Password?

    Reset button is used to reset the router back to factory defaults,
    including the default password. There is usually a process to use the
    reset (ie: press the reset button before powering on the router.)

    Locate the router's manual, if possible. It should list the default
    password.

    PS: The reset button is also a "hard reset."

  4. Re: How to reset router Admin password on Gigafast WF719-CAPR ?

    Joan Archer wrote:
    : Have you looked online for the manufacturer of this router to see if
    : they have any instructions about it. ?

    Yes, the telephone number no longer works. The website is really bad.
    No support whatsoever.

    :
    : Locate the router's manual, if possible. It should list the default
    : password.
    :
    : PS: The reset button is also a "hard reset."

    Not for this one! The manual just says to press reset button.

    I have Googled this wireless router. Others have reported that the reset
    button does NOT reset the admin password. One nut poster justified
    this router's inability to reset the router's password.

    I have tried different combinations including holding the reset buttons
    for 10+ seconds while powering up. This one is a real devil. I don't
    know why Gigafast made it this difficult. These aren't commerical
    wireless routers. But, they are real cheap wireless routers. The only
    other alternative will be to throw it away and buy a new one from
    another manufacturer.

  5. Re: How to reset router Admin password on Gigafast WF719-CAPR ?

    On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 04:45:53 +0000, Pauline wrote:

    > Joan Archer wrote:
    > : Have you looked online for the manufacturer of this router to see if :
    > they have any instructions about it. ?
    >
    > Yes, the telephone number no longer works. The website is really bad.
    > No support whatsoever.
    >
    > smlunatick wrote:
    > : Reset button is used to reset the router back to factory defaults, :
    > including the default password. There is usually a process to use the :
    > reset (ie: press the reset button before powering on the router.) :
    > : Locate the router's manual, if possible. It should list the default :
    > password.
    > :
    > : PS: The reset button is also a "hard reset."
    >
    > Not for this one! The manual just says to press reset button.
    >
    > I have Googled this wireless router. Others have reported that the reset
    > button does NOT reset the admin password. One nut poster justified
    > this router's inability to reset the router's password.
    >
    > I have tried different combinations including holding the reset buttons
    > for 10+ seconds while powering up. This one is a real devil. I don't
    > know why Gigafast made it this difficult. These aren't commerical
    > wireless routers. But, they are real cheap wireless routers. The only
    > other alternative will be to throw it away and buy a new one from
    > another manufacturer.

    I just did a Google search also and one thread mentioned holding in the
    reset button while removing power and subsequently powering back on the
    device. It might work...or it might not...

    There is also this...

    Have you tried email tech support?

    techsupp@gigafast.com

    Good luck...

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...
    How to ask a question
    http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

  6. Re: How to reset router Admin password on Gigafast WF719-CAPR ?

    Sooner Al [MVP] wrote:
    : :
    : I just did a Google search also and one thread mentioned holding in
    : the reset button while removing power and subsequently powering back
    : on the device. It might work...or it might not...

    Thanks. I saw that thread too. It didn't work so I thought I would post
    here.
    :
    : There is also this...
    :
    : http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,18508694

    I will try that link.
    :
    : Have you tried email tech support?
    :
    : techsupp@gigafast.com

    Yes, email address is invalid/dead. Go figure.

  7. Re: How to reset router Admin password on Gigafast WF719-CAPR ?

    On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 04:45:53 GMT, "Pauline" put
    finger to keyboard and composed:

    >Joan Archer wrote:
    >: Have you looked online for the manufacturer of this router to see if
    >: they have any instructions about it. ?
    >
    >Yes, the telephone number no longer works. The website is really bad.
    >No support whatsoever.
    >
    >smlunatick wrote:
    >: Reset button is used to reset the router back to factory defaults,
    >: including the default password. There is usually a process to use the
    >: reset (ie: press the reset button before powering on the router.)
    >:
    >: Locate the router's manual, if possible. It should list the default
    >: password.
    >:
    >: PS: The reset button is also a "hard reset."
    >
    >Not for this one! The manual just says to press reset button.
    >
    >I have Googled this wireless router. Others have reported that the reset
    >button does NOT reset the admin password. One nut poster justified
    >this router's inability to reset the router's password.
    >
    >I have tried different combinations including holding the reset buttons
    >for 10+ seconds while powering up. This one is a real devil. I don't
    >know why Gigafast made it this difficult. These aren't commerical
    >wireless routers. But, they are real cheap wireless routers. The only
    >other alternative will be to throw it away and buy a new one from
    >another manufacturer.

    This tech site appears to have some useful info:
    http://www.bcwireless.net/moin.cgi/GigaFast_WF719-CAPR

    It states that "the GigaFast WF719-CAPR 802.11g is actually the CC&C
    WA-2204A router, (it is registered at the FCC under this name) but AKA
    Gigafast WF719-CAPR, AKA Blanc Wireless G router BW54R11, AKA MSI
    RG54SE, AKA Bluecomm WA-2204A, AKA Zonet ZSR1114WE".

    It talks about a "recovery mode". Maybe you could use it to upload the
    latest firmware and hopefully this procedure will also reset the
    default password. Hopefully it won't require the current password to
    get in. I notice that the firmware instructions require you to upload
    three .bin files starting with linux-1.4.bin.

    This is the recovery procedure:

    1. Unplug the router
    2. Hold down the reset button and turn the router on, wait for 5
    seconds before releasing the button
    3. Set your computer's IP in the 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.24 range
    4. Use pumpKIN to upload the firmware.
    5. Use the above software to send the .bin file to 192.168.1.6
    6. Wait a couple of minutes, the router should reboot by itself and
    load the new firmware.
    7. If the WLAN status light flashes irregularly, there may be a
    problem with the firmware.

    File transfer software:
    http://kin.klever.net/pumpkin/

    Firmware:
    http://www.gigafast.com/products/pro...ivers/v141.zip

    BTW, I notice that the brochure for your modem ...

    http://www.gigafast.com/products/pro...WF719-CAPR.pdf

    .... claims that it supports WPA and WPA2 encryption. I would think
    that would be a good reason to get it going.

    BTW, if you're going to throw your modem away, I would love to have
    it, if only for experimentation. :-)

    One more thing you could try is to get into your modem via FTP. I'm
    not sure which IP address to use but you could try ...

    ftp://192.168.1.6
    ftp://192.168.1.254

    .... or the default gateway address, maybe ftp://192.168.1.1 or
    ftp://192.168.1.2 ???

    Look for a "secrets" file.

    Some other pages of potential interest:
    http://192.168.1.254/syscmd.asp
    http://192.168.1.254/ccncsetup.asp
    http://192.168.1.254/WlanSetDefaultC.asp

    You could also try telnet with any of the above IP addresses, eg go to
    Start -> Run and type ...

    telnet 192.168.1.6

    You will probably be asked for a password, but there's no harm in
    trying ...

    - Franc Zabkar