which router, G or N? - Wireless

This is a discussion on which router, G or N? - Wireless ; Hi, I have to get a wireless router and the question I have is which one will work with XP or VIsta. is it the one that has the G at the end or the N ? WHat is the ...

  1. which router, G or N?

    Hi, I have to get a wireless router and the question I have is which one
    will work with XP or VIsta. is it the one that has the G at the end or the N
    ? WHat is the difference. I think N is newer but will the G routers work
    too with any machine? Also, does it matter what OS i have (XP or
    Vista)....My internet service is cable and I used to have it hooked up to my
    desktop wired. But, I bought a Laptop with wireless and want to use it
    around my house as I take LT with me.
    thanks in advance

  2. Re: which router, G or N?

    G is more established, N is up and coming. N is theoretically faster
    but still a draft standard so there is a risk that if you buy an N
    router you might end up with one that doesn't perfectly align with the
    final standard.

    Does your laptop support N? If so, get a router that works with that
    specific laptop's implementation of N. If not...then an N router
    probably won't help you right now so you might as well just get a G.

    --
    -Ben-
    Ben M. Schorr, MVP

    "Nicdig" wrote in message

    > Hi, I have to get a wireless router and the question I have is which one
    > will work with XP or VIsta. is it the one that has the G at the end or the N
    > ? WHat is the difference. I think N is newer but will the G routers work
    > too with any machine? Also, does it matter what OS i have (XP or
    > Vista)....My internet service is cable and I used to have it hooked up to my
    > desktop wired. But, I bought a Laptop with wireless and want to use it
    > around my house as I take LT with me.
    > thanks in advance

  3. Re: which router, G or N?

    smlunatick wrote:
    > ........ if you ever get an Intel
    > Centrino based laptop, most 11n routers will not let it connect pass
    > 54,0Mbps speed. This is the 11g wireless speeds.

    New Centrino adapters, the 4965 or later, are fully N capable and can
    work at N speeds, in both 5 and 2.4 GHz bands. The 3945 or earlier do
    only G.

    Regards,
    --PA

  4. Re: which router, G or N?

    Hi
    In general I do not think that currently buying a Draft-N device is a Good
    move.
    To benefit from the N component both Wireless Router and Computer Wireless
    Card has to be Draft-N.
    A pair of those goes from almost $200 with $80-$100 for additional good
    card, and then taking the risk that some of the last changes before the
    802.11n standard would deem the investment a Bust.
    Technologically 802.11n improve the transfer speed between Local computers
    (It does not improve Internet Speed).
    Thus, if someone really uses the Wireless for serious LAN work it might be a
    consideration to get a Drfat-N, otherwise to save few seconds on casual
    transfer it does not worth the investment.
    Second advantage of N might be coverage. However the expectations are really
    exaggerated. In most cases if the environment is highly unfriendly to
    Wireless switching from g to N is Not going to yield dramatic improvement.
    At this point I personally use a good 802,1g device rather than going the N
    way.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    "Nicdig" wrote in message
    > Hi, I have to get a wireless router and the question I have is which one
    > will work with XP or VIsta. is it the one that has the G at the end or the
    > ? WHat is the difference. I think N is newer but will the G routers work
    > too with any machine? Also, does it matter what OS i have (XP or
    > Vista)....My internet service is cable and I used to have it hooked up to
    > my
    > desktop wired. But, I bought a Laptop with wireless and want to use it
    > around my house as I take LT with me.
    > thanks in advance

  5. Re: which router, G or N?

    On Aug 20, 2:23*am, "Pavel A." wrote:
    > smlunatick wrote:
    > > ........ if you ever get an Intel
    > > Centrino based laptop, most 11n routers will not let it connect pass
    > > 54,0Mbps speed. *This is the 11g wireless speeds.

    > New Centrino adapters, the 4965 or later, are fully N capable and can
    > work at N speeds, in both 5 and 2.4 GHz bands. The 3945 or earlier do
    > only G.
    >
    > Regards,
    > --PA

    No the 4965 AGN is not working at N speeds. I have been trying to
    find a route that will give the full 300 Mbps access speeds to an
    4865AGN adapter. I have found that must will only do 11g 54 Mbps
    access speeds and the D-Link routers will only do 130Mbps.

    Do you know of a router model that works with the 4965AGN adpter @ 300
    Mbps?

  6. Re: which router, G or N?

    smlunatick wrote:
    > On Aug 20, 2:23 am, "Pavel A." wrote:
    >> smlunatick wrote:
    >>> ........ if you ever get an Intel
    >>> Centrino based laptop, most 11n routers will not let it connect pass
    >>> 54,0Mbps speed. This is the 11g wireless speeds.

    >> New Centrino adapters, the 4965 or later, are fully N capable and can
    >> work at N speeds, in both 5 and 2.4 GHz bands. The 3945 or earlier do
    >> only G.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> --PA

    > No the 4965 AGN is not working at N speeds. I have been trying to
    > find a route that will give the full 300 Mbps access speeds to an
    > 4865AGN adapter. I have found that must will only do 11g 54 Mbps
    > access speeds and the D-Link routers will only do 130Mbps.
    >
    > Do you know of a router model that works with the 4965AGN adpter @ 300
    > Mbps?

    Hmm. Definitely, I was guilty for not eating enough of own dogfood...
    Not sure about 300 Mbps, the highest practical rates we've seen
    in the lab, were 200+ Mbps.
    Will post here if I recall what routers we tested against, and more details.

    Anyway, 4965 is actively supported, if some widespread N router
    has problems with it, the manufacturers know the address...
    It is possible that some pre-N router models were tuned to work
    with specific pre-N adapters, but not with others.
    The "N" technology is complex and very, very hard to get right.

    Regards,
    --PA

  7. Re: which router, G or N?

    On Aug 22, 7:28*pm, "Pavel A." wrote:
    > smlunatick wrote:
    > >> New Centrino adapters, the 4965 or later, are fully N capable and can
    > >> work at N speeds, in both 5 and 2.4 GHz bands. The 3945 or earlier do
    > >> only G.

    > >> Regards,
    > >> --PA

    > > No the 4965 AGN is not working at N speeds. *I have been trying to
    > > find a route that will give the full 300 Mbps access speeds to an
    > > 4865AGN adapter. *I have found that must will only do 11g 54 Mbps
    > > access speeds and the D-Link routers will only do 130Mbps.

    > > Do you know of a router model that works with the 4965AGN adpter @ 300
    > > Mbps?

    > Hmm. Definitely, I was guilty for not eating enough of own dogfood...
    > Not sure about 300 Mbps, the highest practical rates we've seen
    > in the lab, were 200+ Mbps.
    > Will post here if I recall what routers we tested against, and more details.
    >
    > Anyway, 4965 is actively supported, if some widespread N router
    > has problems with it, the manufacturers know the address...
    > It is possible that some pre-N router models were tuned to work
    > with specific pre-N adapters, but not with others.
    > The "N" technology is complex and very, very hard to get right.
    >
    > Regards,
    > --PA

    D-Link "flat out" states that the Intel Centrino wireless adapter
    (especially 4965AGN) is limited to 130 Mbps:

    Note: Intel adapters are not the same as D-Links' N line. Intel
    Centrino adapters do not support the broader 40 Channel Width option.
    This (by design) limits their connection speed to 130.

    However, Intel directs you to D-Link for a compatible router. Go
    figure??

  8. Re: which router, G or N?

    Finally, got a reply from someone who should know this product
    ( no wonder, so terribly busy they are... )

    They confirm that 4965 showed sustained throughput of
    slightly above 200 mbps against Cisco 1250 AP,
    it was about half a year ago.

    Also, multiple SKUs of 4965 exist for several system builders and
    several markets; they may behave differently in specific situations.
    Different machines may vary in physical layout
    of antennas, this also can visibly affect operation in N mode.

    Regards,
    --pa

    Pavel A. wrote:
    > smlunatick wrote:
    >>> New Centrino adapters, the 4965 or later, are fully N capable and can
    >>> work at N speeds, in both 5 and 2.4 GHz bands. The 3945 or earlier do
    >>> only G.
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>> --PA

    >> No the 4965 AGN is not working at N speeds. I have been trying to
    >> find a route that will give the full 300 Mbps access speeds to an
    >> 4865AGN adapter. I have found that must will only do 11g 54 Mbps
    >> access speeds and the D-Link routers will only do 130Mbps.
    >>
    >> Do you know of a router model that works with the 4965AGN adpter @ 300
    >> Mbps?

    > Hmm. Definitely, I was guilty for not eating enough of own dogfood...
    > Not sure about 300 Mbps, the highest practical rates we've seen
    > in the lab, were 200+ Mbps.
    > Will post here if I recall what routers we tested against, and more
    > details.
    >
    > Anyway, 4965 is actively supported, if some widespread N router
    > has problems with it, the manufacturers know the address...
    > It is possible that some pre-N router models were tuned to work
    > with specific pre-N adapters, but not with others.
    > The "N" technology is complex and very, very hard to get right.
    >
    > Regards,
    > --PA

  9. RE: which router, G or N?

    I am writing this letter to ALL Wireless Router manufacturers.
    I have a Linksys Wireless Router Model:BEFW11S4. It is 7 years (yes, count
    them, all of seven little years) old. I have visited the Linksys website
    numerous times trying to set up the WEP/WPA security on that wireless router
    (as all responsible wireless router owners should!). I found that there are
    no links to any wireless router setting websites that are congruent with the
    screen shots from Linksys' own self help technical support site. I have had
    to call Linksys several times to resolve this issue only to be placed on hold
    for lengthy times (sometimes my call was dropped and I had to start over ....
    how sad for such a large company to have such poorly trained phone
    receptionists!), then be transferred (see previous comment about the phone
    receptionists) to a supposed supervisor, only to finally be transferred to
    someone who tells me that the warranty has expired and wants me to pay $40.00
    for the technical support to do the right thing that I want and need to do.
    First, the device works fine (as evidenced by this e-mail that you have
    just received)!
    Second, why should I have to pay for doing the right thing?
    Third, if I am going to be EXTORTED into buying a new wireless router so
    that I can do the right thing and set up an encryption key for a secure
    network, what on Gods' Green Earth makes anyone think that I would CHOOSE to
    buy another Linksys product when ALL that I have ever received from them is a
    functional wireless router (yes, even after seven whole years) and the
    crappiest Customer Service/Technical Support I have ever had the displeasure
    to encounter!
    I shall copy this letter and try to find as many Chat Rooms as possible in
    order to spread the word of ALL that I have gone through with the Chain of
    Command at the Linksys phone center, well above and beyond what any
    reasonable person should expect to go through, and still have NO RELIEF
    concerning my singular issue with their product and its capabilities that I
    SHOULD be able to enjoy as the owner of said product! What has happend to
    "The Customer Is Always Right" Customer Service mantra (I can't say "In
    America" because the call was handled in India)? Is the Customer, the ones
    that makes the company what it is through the purchase of products, so
    worthless to the company that they can just be treated with abject contempt
    and scorn? Is the Customer to thus be trampled underfoot? Are we paying to
    be so abused? I, for one (yes, one, the beginning of all), shall NOT be
    treated in such manner, and CERTAINLY shall NOT PAY to be treated as such!
    In this world of expanding technologies, it shall be those with the
    GREATEST Customer Appeal that shall continue to be found worthwile in the
    publics' eyes (and pocketbooks) and shall grow to meet the demands of a
    growing world - ESPECIALLY in the Electronics Department!
    It is now my strongest desire that the Linksys Corporation suffers
    irreparable damage and goes out of business for their Crappy Customer
    Service! I can only hope that I reach enough people around the world to bring
    this desire true!

    "Nicdig" wrote:

    > Hi, I have to get a wireless router and the question I have is which one
    > will work with XP or VIsta. is it the one that has the G at the end or the N
    > ? WHat is the difference. I think N is newer but will the G routers work
    > too with any machine? Also, does it matter what OS i have (XP or
    > Vista)....My internet service is cable and I used to have it hooked up to my
    > desktop wired. But, I bought a Laptop with wireless and want to use it
    > around my house as I take LT with me.
    > thanks in advance

  10. Re: which router, G or N?

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > In general I do not think that currently buying a Draft-N device is a Good
    > move.
    > To benefit from the N component both Wireless Router and Computer Wireless
    > Card has to be Draft-N.
    > A pair of those goes from almost $200 with $80-$100 for additional good
    > card, and then taking the risk that some of the last changes before the
    > 802.11n standard would deem the investment a Bust.
    > Technologically 802.11n improve the transfer speed between Local computers
    > (It does not improve Internet Speed).
    > Thus, if someone really uses the Wireless for serious LAN work it might be a
    > consideration to get a Drfat-N, otherwise to save few seconds on casual
    > transfer it does not worth the investment.
    > Second advantage of N might be coverage. However the expectations are really
    > exaggerated. In most cases if the environment is highly unfriendly to
    > Wireless switching from g to N is Not going to yield dramatic improvement.
    > At this point I personally use a good 802,1g device rather than going the N
    > way.
    > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >
    > "Nicdig" wrote in message
    > > Hi, I have to get a wireless router and the question I have is which one
    > > will work with XP or VIsta. is it the one that has the G at the end or the
    > > ? WHat is the difference. I think N is newer but will the G routers work
    > > too with any machine? Also, does it matter what OS i have (XP or
    > > Vista)....My internet service is cable and I used to have it hooked up to
    > > my
    > > desktop wired. But, I bought a Laptop with wireless and want to use it
    > > around my house as I take LT with me.
    > > thanks in advance

+ Reply to Thread