Trying to wirelessly network USB external hard drives - Wireless

This is a discussion on Trying to wirelessly network USB external hard drives - Wireless ; Here's the situation, I have 2 Western Digital external hard drives that I have plugged into my docked laptop, but this means I need to stay docked to access those files. So, I'm looking to make those external drives wireless ...

  1. Trying to wirelessly network USB external hard drives

    Here's the situation, I have 2 Western Digital external hard drives
    that I have plugged into my docked laptop, but this means I need to
    stay docked to access those files. So, I'm looking to make those
    external drives wireless so I can access the files from anywhere in
    the house. I am trying to do this on the cheap with existing hardware
    I own, or the cheapest additional hardware.

    I have a Linksys wireless router, but it only has ethernet ports, it
    does not have USB ports. I have a 4-port USB hub. What I'm thinking is
    that I could plug the hard drives into the 4-port USB, and then
    connect that hub to the wireless router using a USB to Ethernet
    connector (which can be had for less than $20). Essentially the
    connector has a USB end which I would plug into the 4-port hub, and
    the other end will take an ethernet cable.

    Will this actually wirelessly network the drives?

    PLEASE NOTE - I do not want to consider the following options 1)
    putting the drives in a NAS enclosure (since my drives are already in
    their own enclosures), 2) spending $100+ on a Belkin wireless USB hub
    or other similar devices.

  2. Re: Trying to wirelessly network USB external hard drives

    USB is not a Network

    USB is a Serial Bus,...Universal Serial Bus (USB) to be exact.

    Hard Drives are not computers, and not "networking devices",...they are not
    "networkable".

    > PLEASE NOTE - I do not want to consider the following options 1)
    > putting the drives in a NAS enclosure (since my drives are already in
    > their own enclosures), 2) spending $100+ on a Belkin wireless USB hub
    > or other similar devices.

    Then what you are saying is,.."I am not willing to do it the only way it can
    be done apart from "sharing" them via the Laptop."

    Hard Drives are either "shared" via a PC or are placed inside a NAS System.
    $100 isn't squat. "Real" commercial grade NAS system can easily be over
    $10,000.00

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    "Mac" wrote in message
    > Here's the situation, I have 2 Western Digital external hard drives
    > that I have plugged into my docked laptop, but this means I need to
    > stay docked to access those files. So, I'm looking to make those
    > external drives wireless so I can access the files from anywhere in
    > the house. I am trying to do this on the cheap with existing hardware
    > I own, or the cheapest additional hardware.
    >
    > I have a Linksys wireless router, but it only has ethernet ports, it
    > does not have USB ports. I have a 4-port USB hub. What I'm thinking is
    > that I could plug the hard drives into the 4-port USB, and then
    > connect that hub to the wireless router using a USB to Ethernet
    > connector (which can be had for less than $20). Essentially the
    > connector has a USB end which I would plug into the 4-port hub, and
    > the other end will take an ethernet cable.
    >
    > Will this actually wirelessly network the drives?
    >
    > PLEASE NOTE - I do not want to consider the following options 1)
    > putting the drives in a NAS enclosure (since my drives are already in
    > their own enclosures), 2) spending $100+ on a Belkin wireless USB hub
    > or other similar devices.

  3. Re: Trying to wirelessly network USB external hard drives

    On Aug 19, 3:55*pm, "Phillip Windell" wrote:
    > USB is not a Network
    >
    > USB is a Serial Bus,...Universal Serial Bus (USB) to be exact.
    >
    > Hard Drives are not computers, and not "networking devices",...they are not
    > "networkable".
    >
    > > PLEASE NOTE - I do not want to consider the following options 1)
    > > putting the drives in a NAS enclosure (since my drives are already in
    > > their own enclosures), 2) spending $100+ on a Belkin wireless USB hub
    > > or other similar devices.

    > Then what you are saying is,.."I am not willing to do it the only way it can
    > be done apart from "sharing" them via the Laptop."
    >
    > Hard Drives are either "shared" via a PC or are placed inside a NAS System.
    > $100 isn't squat. *"Real" commercial grade NAS system can easily be over
    > $10,000.00
    >
    > --
    > Phillip Windellwww.wandtv.com
    >
    > The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or Microsoft,
    >
    > "Mac" wrote in message

    > > Here's the situation, I have 2 Western Digital external hard drives
    > > that I have plugged into my docked laptop, but this means I need to
    > > stay docked to access those files. So, I'm looking to make those
    > > external drives wireless so I can access the files from anywhere in
    > > the house. I am trying to do this on the cheap with existing hardware
    > > I own, or the cheapest additional hardware.

    > > I have a Linksys wireless router, but it only has ethernet ports, it
    > > does not have USB ports. I have a 4-port USB hub. What I'm thinking is
    > > that I could plug the hard drives into the 4-port USB, and then
    > > connect that hub to the wireless router using a USB to Ethernet
    > > connector (which can be had for less than $20). Essentially the
    > > connector has a USB end which I would plug into the 4-port hub, and
    > > the other end will take an ethernet cable.

    > > Will this actually wirelessly network the drives?

    > > PLEASE NOTE - I do not want to consider the following options 1)
    > > putting the drives in a NAS enclosure (since my drives are already in
    > > their own enclosures), 2) spending $100+ on a Belkin wireless USB hub
    > > or other similar devices.- Hide quoted text -

    I'm asking if the idea would technically work, not whether my
    requirements were reasonable, and not whether or not you are sarcastic.

  4. Re: Trying to wirelessly network USB external hard drives

    The real question here is whether or not you can use USB to Ethernet adapter
    without a PC. I highly doubt it's doable but if you got it working please do
    share your experience with us.

    "Mac" wrote in message
    > Here's the situation, I have 2 Western Digital external hard drives
    > that I have plugged into my docked laptop, but this means I need to
    > stay docked to access those files. So, I'm looking to make those
    > external drives wireless so I can access the files from anywhere in
    > the house. I am trying to do this on the cheap with existing hardware
    > I own, or the cheapest additional hardware.
    >
    > I have a Linksys wireless router, but it only has ethernet ports, it
    > does not have USB ports. I have a 4-port USB hub. What I'm thinking is
    > that I could plug the hard drives into the 4-port USB, and then
    > connect that hub to the wireless router using a USB to Ethernet
    > connector (which can be had for less than $20). Essentially the
    > connector has a USB end which I would plug into the 4-port hub, and
    > the other end will take an ethernet cable.
    >
    > Will this actually wirelessly network the drives?
    >
    > PLEASE NOTE - I do not want to consider the following options 1)
    > putting the drives in a NAS enclosure (since my drives are already in
    > their own enclosures), 2) spending $100+ on a Belkin wireless USB hub
    > or other similar devices.

  5. Re: Trying to wirelessly network USB external hard drives

    Mac wrote:

    > I'm asking if the idea would technically work, not whether my
    > requirements were reasonable, and not whether or not you are sarcastic.

    Yes your idea would work if you get a Linux based router
    with USB ports.
    Since the source code is available, you can tweak the
    router software to do your bidding.

    --PA

  6. Re: Trying to wirelessly network USB external hard drives

    Hi
    Most of the Entry level NAS' are slow and not very flexible.
    Actually one of the best solution for NAS is to find an old P-III 1GHz, or
    any P-4 put your big HD in, and load the computer with Windows Home server.
    It can serve as good flexible fast NAS (very fast if fitted with Giga
    Network card) and do much more, http://www.ezlan.net/WHS.html
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    "Mac" wrote in message
    > Here's the situation, I have 2 Western Digital external hard drives
    > that I have plugged into my docked laptop, but this means I need to
    > stay docked to access those files. So, I'm looking to make those
    > external drives wireless so I can access the files from anywhere in
    > the house. I am trying to do this on the cheap with existing hardware
    > I own, or the cheapest additional hardware.
    >
    > I have a Linksys wireless router, but it only has ethernet ports, it
    > does not have USB ports. I have a 4-port USB hub. What I'm thinking is
    > that I could plug the hard drives into the 4-port USB, and then
    > connect that hub to the wireless router using a USB to Ethernet
    > connector (which can be had for less than $20). Essentially the
    > connector has a USB end which I would plug into the 4-port hub, and
    > the other end will take an ethernet cable.
    >
    > Will this actually wirelessly network the drives?
    >
    > PLEASE NOTE - I do not want to consider the following options 1)
    > putting the drives in a NAS enclosure (since my drives are already in
    > their own enclosures), 2) spending $100+ on a Belkin wireless USB hub
    > or other similar devices.

  7. Re: Trying to wirelessly network USB external hard drives

    On Aug 19, 3:22*pm, Mac wrote:
    > Here's the situation, I have 2 Western Digital external hard drives
    > that I have plugged into my docked laptop, but this means I need to
    > stay docked to access those files. So, I'm looking to make those
    > external drives wireless so I can access the files from anywhere in
    > the house. I am trying to do this on the cheap with existing hardware
    > I own, or the cheapest additional hardware.
    >
    > I have a Linksys wireless router, but it only has ethernet ports, it
    > does not have USB ports. I have a 4-port USB hub. What I'm thinking is
    > that I could plug the hard drives into the 4-port USB, and then
    > connect that hub to the wireless router using a USB to Ethernet
    > connector (which can be had for less than $20). Essentially the
    > connector has a USB end which I would plug into the 4-port hub, and
    > the other end will take an ethernet cable.
    >
    > Will this actually wirelessly network the drives?
    >
    > PLEASE NOTE - I do not want to consider the following options 1)
    > putting the drives in a NAS enclosure (since my drives are already in
    > their own enclosures), 2) spending $100+ on a Belkin wireless USB hub
    > or other similar devices.

    Hi,

    There's this "SMCWAPS-G":

    http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=SMCWAPS-G

    That website is out-of-stock, but maybe you can find it somewhere
    else?

    Jim

  8. Re: Trying to wirelessly network USB external hard drives

    On Aug 19, 2:22*pm, Mac wrote:
    > Here's the situation, I have 2 Western Digitalexternalharddrives
    > that I have plugged into my docked laptop, but this means I need to
    > stay docked to access those files. So, I'm looking to make thoseexternaldriveswireless so I can access the files from anywhere in
    > the house. I amtryingto do this on the cheap with existing hardware
    > I own, or the cheapest additional hardware.
    >
    > I have a Linksys wireless router, but it only has ethernet ports, it
    > does not have USB ports. I have a 4-port USB hub. What I'm thinking is
    > that I could plug theharddrivesinto the 4-port USB, and then
    > connect that hub to the wireless router using a USB to Ethernet
    > connector (which can be had for less than $20). Essentially the
    > connector has a USB end which I would plug into the 4-port hub, and
    > the other end will take an ethernet cable.
    >
    > Will this actually wirelesslynetworkthedrives?
    >
    > PLEASE NOTE - I do not want to consider the following options 1)
    > putting thedrivesin a NAS enclosure (since mydrivesare already in
    > their own enclosures), 2) spending $100+ on a Belkin wireless USB hub
    > or other similar devices.

    Well, I bit the bullet and tried the Belkin Wireless USB Hub. The
    price had dropped recently from 99.99 to 79.99. Now I know why, it's a
    piece of crap. First of all, the hub will only work with the Belkin
    software, so its not Plug and Play. Second, you can set a password for
    the hub, but it doesn't specify a username, so when you try to connect
    to it to modify the settings, you can't log in, so you need to reset
    it. Third, the only way you can access files on your attached USB
    external hard drives is through the Belkin software. So, forget about
    accessing files through Windows Explorer, and forget about having
    drive letters for your external drives. All of this of course makes
    the Belkin hub completely worthless. If my external hard drive doesn't
    have a drive letter, my iTunes will not be able to find my music. If
    there is no leter, I can't perform a backup to the external drive. And
    on top of that, the software kept blocking my laptop from shutting
    off, at all. I had to manually shut off the system in order to turn it
    off. What a piece of crap. I returned it the same day.

    I'm just going to keep everything plugged in through normal USB. I did
    see some cheap NAS drives. A 1TB NAS was about $300, but I'm not
    looking to upgrade yet. I'll hold off for a couple of years, and
    prices will come down even more.

  9. Re: Trying to wirelessly network USB external hard drives

    Yes, John is right. The USB to Ethernet adapter needs to work on a platform
    with OS and USB host controller inside.

    ASIX Electronics Corporation
    Technical Support Division
    Support: support@asix.com.tw
    Sales: sales@asix.com.tw
    http://www.asix.com.tw/

    "John" wrote:

    > The real question here is whether or not you can use USB to Ethernet adapter
    > without a PC. I highly doubt it's doable but if you got it working please do
    > share your experience with us.
    >
    > "Mac" wrote in message
    > > Here's the situation, I have 2 Western Digital external hard drives
    > > that I have plugged into my docked laptop, but this means I need to
    > > stay docked to access those files. So, I'm looking to make those
    > > external drives wireless so I can access the files from anywhere in
    > > the house. I am trying to do this on the cheap with existing hardware
    > > I own, or the cheapest additional hardware.
    > >
    > > I have a Linksys wireless router, but it only has ethernet ports, it
    > > does not have USB ports. I have a 4-port USB hub. What I'm thinking is
    > > that I could plug the hard drives into the 4-port USB, and then
    > > connect that hub to the wireless router using a USB to Ethernet
    > > connector (which can be had for less than $20). Essentially the
    > > connector has a USB end which I would plug into the 4-port hub, and
    > > the other end will take an ethernet cable.
    > >
    > > Will this actually wirelessly network the drives?
    > >
    > > PLEASE NOTE - I do not want to consider the following options 1)
    > > putting the drives in a NAS enclosure (since my drives are already in
    > > their own enclosures), 2) spending $100+ on a Belkin wireless USB hub
    > > or other similar devices.

  10. Re: Trying to wirelessly network USB external hard drives

    Interested in this original thread.. what was the outcome?

    I have the exact situation. Want to attach my 500 gb external usb drive
    directly to the linksys router to create a shared "network" drive for all my
    computers at home..

    Does the usb to ethernet adaptor work, does't the drive need an ip address
    to be seen by the network, can this be resolved with software (creating a
    virtual ip addy?)

    Tyler

    "Allan Chou" wrote in message
    > Yes, John is right. The USB to Ethernet adapter needs to work on a
    > platform
    > with OS and USB host controller inside.
    >
    > ASIX Electronics Corporation
    > Technical Support Division
    > Support: support@asix.com.tw
    > Sales: sales@asix.com.tw
    > http://www.asix.com.tw/
    >

    > "John" wrote:
    >
    >> The real question here is whether or not you can use USB to Ethernet
    >> adapter
    >> without a PC. I highly doubt it's doable but if you got it working please
    >> do
    >> share your experience with us.
    >>
    >> "Mac" wrote in message
    >> > Here's the situation, I have 2 Western Digital external hard drives
    >> > that I have plugged into my docked laptop, but this means I need to
    >> > stay docked to access those files. So, I'm looking to make those
    >> > external drives wireless so I can access the files from anywhere in
    >> > the house. I am trying to do this on the cheap with existing hardware
    >> > I own, or the cheapest additional hardware.
    >> >
    >> > I have a Linksys wireless router, but it only has ethernet ports, it
    >> > does not have USB ports. I have a 4-port USB hub. What I'm thinking is
    >> > that I could plug the hard drives into the 4-port USB, and then
    >> > connect that hub to the wireless router using a USB to Ethernet
    >> > connector (which can be had for less than $20). Essentially the
    >> > connector has a USB end which I would plug into the 4-port hub, and
    >> > the other end will take an ethernet cable.
    >> >
    >> > Will this actually wirelessly network the drives?
    >> >
    >> > PLEASE NOTE - I do not want to consider the following options 1)
    >> > putting the drives in a NAS enclosure (since my drives are already in
    >> > their own enclosures), 2) spending $100+ on a Belkin wireless USB hub
    >> > or other similar devices.

+ Reply to Thread