How to "network" 2 PC's - Wireless

This is a discussion on How to "network" 2 PC's - Wireless ; Sorry for being green but, never really had much to do with networking in over 25 years. I have tried reading through a couple of home networking primers but, they immediately raised so many questions, I though I'd better plead ...

  1. How to "network" 2 PC's

    Sorry for being green but, never really had much to do with networking in
    over 25 years.
    I have tried reading through a couple of home networking primers but, they
    immediately raised so many questions, I though I'd better plead for help in
    here :-)

    A friend has hardware similar to mine, and he has :-
    2 PC's connected to a Linksys WAG354G adsl modem/router which also feeds
    wireless internet to his two son's laptops.

    I've just built him a new system box, (gorgeous though I say it myself -
    Antec Sonata III case | Asrock AlivNF6G | Athlon 64 x2 6000 | 2gb Crucial
    Ballstix | 2 x 160gb Seagate hd's | DVD ROM & DVD rewriter | 3 1/2" card
    reader. XP Home ed. SP3 in it, all up to date and hardware and software
    performing very well.

    His "old" PC he's moved over to the other side of his office, and he would
    like for his wife to be able to work on spreadsheets that are located on his
    new "main" PC. ...so I clapped my hands to my face and cried, ..."Where do
    I start ?"

    Do I have to connect the two PC's with a crossover cable, or because they're
    both already connected to that WAG354G router - the answer is "No" ?

    Does the "main" PC somehow get a drive letter like H:\ , and that's how his
    wife will access those spreadsheet files on that PC ? It must be
    aroundabout 20 years since I fiddled with "Assign.exe" and "Subst.exe" and
    that sort of stuff. I did dabble with networking at that time but, can't
    remember any of it.

    ....any links to good home networking primers would be much appreciated.

    TIA

    regards, Richard

  2. Re: How to "network" 2 PC's

    "RJK" wrote in message
    > Sorry for being green but, never really had much to do with networking in
    > over 25 years.
    > I have tried reading through a couple of home networking primers but, they
    > immediately raised so many questions, I though I'd better plead for help
    > in here :-)
    >
    > A friend has hardware similar to mine, and he has :-
    > 2 PC's connected to a Linksys WAG354G adsl modem/router which also feeds
    > wireless internet to his two son's laptops.
    >
    > I've just built him a new system box, (gorgeous though I say it myself -
    > Antec Sonata III case | Asrock AlivNF6G | Athlon 64 x2 6000 | 2gb Crucial
    > Ballstix | 2 x 160gb Seagate hd's | DVD ROM & DVD rewriter | 3 1/2" card
    > reader. XP Home ed. SP3 in it, all up to date and hardware and software
    > performing very well.
    >
    > His "old" PC he's moved over to the other side of his office, and he would
    > like for his wife to be able to work on spreadsheets that are located on
    > his new "main" PC. ...so I clapped my hands to my face and cried,
    > ..."Where do I start ?"
    >
    > Do I have to connect the two PC's with a crossover cable, or because
    > they're both already connected to that WAG354G router - the answer is "No"
    > ?
    >
    > Does the "main" PC somehow get a drive letter like H:\ , and that's how
    > his wife will access those spreadsheet files on that PC ? It must be
    > aroundabout 20 years since I fiddled with "Assign.exe" and "Subst.exe" and
    > that sort of stuff. I did dabble with networking at that time but, can't
    > remember any of it.
    >
    > ...any links to good home networking primers would be much appreciated.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > regards, Richard

    Dickie, next time: Clarity, Brevity, Conciseness.....

  3. Re: How to "network" 2 PC's

    On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 11:11:20 +0100, RJK wrote:

    > Sorry for being green but, never really had much to do with networking
    > in over 25 years.
    > I have tried reading through a couple of home networking primers but,
    > they immediately raised so many questions, I though I'd better plead for
    > help in here :-)
    >
    > A friend has hardware similar to mine, and he has :- 2 PC's connected to
    > a Linksys WAG354G adsl modem/router which also feeds wireless internet
    > to his two son's laptops.
    >
    > I've just built him a new system box, (gorgeous though I say it myself -
    > Antec Sonata III case | Asrock AlivNF6G | Athlon 64 x2 6000 | 2gb
    > Crucial Ballstix | 2 x 160gb Seagate hd's | DVD ROM & DVD rewriter | 3
    > 1/2" card reader. XP Home ed. SP3 in it, all up to date and hardware
    > and software performing very well.
    >
    > His "old" PC he's moved over to the other side of his office, and he
    > would like for his wife to be able to work on spreadsheets that are
    > located on his new "main" PC. ...so I clapped my hands to my face and
    > cried, ..."Where do I start ?"
    >
    > Do I have to connect the two PC's with a crossover cable, or because
    > they're both already connected to that WAG354G router - the answer is
    > "No" ?
    >
    > Does the "main" PC somehow get a drive letter like H:\ , and that's how
    > his wife will access those spreadsheet files on that PC ? It must be
    > aroundabout 20 years since I fiddled with "Assign.exe" and "Subst.exe"
    > and that sort of stuff. I did dabble with networking at that time but,
    > can't remember any of it.
    >
    > ...any links to good home networking primers would be much appreciated.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > regards, Richard

    This series of articles from MSFT is a good place to start...

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813936/

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...
    How to ask a question
    http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

  4. Re: How to "network" 2 PC's

    If they can lay ethernet cable there, it would be the best option
    to connect non-portable desktops -
    especially if these are used for serious things.
    Then you can make a "private" network between these PCs,
    and connect them to internet over wi-fi.

    Regards,
    --PA

    RJK wrote:
    > Sorry for being green but, never really had much to do with networking in
    > over 25 years.
    > I have tried reading through a couple of home networking primers but, they
    > immediately raised so many questions, I though I'd better plead for help in
    > here :-)
    >
    > A friend has hardware similar to mine, and he has :-
    > 2 PC's connected to a Linksys WAG354G adsl modem/router which also feeds
    > wireless internet to his two son's laptops.
    >
    > I've just built him a new system box, (gorgeous though I say it myself -
    > Antec Sonata III case | Asrock AlivNF6G | Athlon 64 x2 6000 | 2gb Crucial
    > Ballstix | 2 x 160gb Seagate hd's | DVD ROM & DVD rewriter | 3 1/2" card
    > reader. XP Home ed. SP3 in it, all up to date and hardware and software
    > performing very well.
    >
    > His "old" PC he's moved over to the other side of his office, and he would
    > like for his wife to be able to work on spreadsheets that are located on his
    > new "main" PC. ...so I clapped my hands to my face and cried, ..."Where do
    > I start ?"
    >
    > Do I have to connect the two PC's with a crossover cable, or because they're
    > both already connected to that WAG354G router - the answer is "No" ?
    >
    > Does the "main" PC somehow get a drive letter like H:\ , and that's how his
    > wife will access those spreadsheet files on that PC ? It must be
    > aroundabout 20 years since I fiddled with "Assign.exe" and "Subst.exe" and
    > that sort of stuff. I did dabble with networking at that time but, can't
    > remember any of it.
    >
    > ...any links to good home networking primers would be much appreciated.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > regards, Richard

  5. Re: How to "network" 2 PC's

    Ahem ... ...approx. 287 words is REALLY, REALLY good going for me :-)
    e.g. it take me three or four hours to reduce a first draft "letter" for
    Western Dail Press "Readers Letters" page,
    to 500 words or less :-)
    ....however, point taken.

    regards, Richard

    "Runtime Error" wrote in message
    > "RJK" wrote in message
    >> Sorry for being green but, never really had much to do with networking in
    >> over 25 years.
    >> I have tried reading through a couple of home networking primers but,
    >> they immediately raised so many questions, I though I'd better plead for
    >> help in here :-)
    >>
    >> A friend has hardware similar to mine, and he has :-
    >> 2 PC's connected to a Linksys WAG354G adsl modem/router which also feeds
    >> wireless internet to his two son's laptops.
    >>
    >> I've just built him a new system box, (gorgeous though I say it myself -
    >> Antec Sonata III case | Asrock AlivNF6G | Athlon 64 x2 6000 | 2gb Crucial
    >> Ballstix | 2 x 160gb Seagate hd's | DVD ROM & DVD rewriter | 3 1/2" card
    >> reader. XP Home ed. SP3 in it, all up to date and hardware and software
    >> performing very well.
    >>
    >> His "old" PC he's moved over to the other side of his office, and he
    >> would like for his wife to be able to work on spreadsheets that are
    >> located on his new "main" PC. ...so I clapped my hands to my face and
    >> cried, ..."Where do I start ?"
    >>
    >> Do I have to connect the two PC's with a crossover cable, or because
    >> they're both already connected to that WAG354G router - the answer is
    >> "No" ?
    >>
    >> Does the "main" PC somehow get a drive letter like H:\ , and that's how
    >> his wife will access those spreadsheet files on that PC ? It must be
    >> aroundabout 20 years since I fiddled with "Assign.exe" and "Subst.exe"
    >> and that sort of stuff. I did dabble with networking at that time but,
    >> can't remember any of it.
    >>
    >> ...any links to good home networking primers would be much appreciated.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> regards, Richard
    >>

    > Dickie, next time: Clarity, Brevity, Conciseness.....

  6. Re: How to "network" 2 PC's

    many thanks, ...I've already perused those, and
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813936/ is in my IE7 Favourites\Networking
    directory awaiting a more thorough read.

    regards, Richard

    "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote in message
    > On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 11:11:20 +0100, RJK wrote:
    >
    >> Sorry for being green but, never really had much to do with networking
    >> in over 25 years.

  7. Re: How to "network" 2 PC's

    Thanks for your response, there is already an rj45 cable from the Linksys
    WAG354G, (located right beside the "main" PC), which goes around the office
    to the "2nd" PC.

    So the WAG354G has a 1.5 metre rj45 to the main PC, and a longer one off to
    the 2nd PC.
    In other words that modem/router is just feeding internet into 2 PC's. (and
    via wifi - to two laptops)
    (2nd older PC's motherboard had no LAN port, so its' rj45 plug goes into a
    PCI LAN card.)

    Having glanced through some web tutorials and primers, I just ended up more
    confused, as to how to connect things up, and am wondering if I'll need a
    "switch" so that the router feeds internet into that, and then there'll be
    enough rj45 plug holes to go from the switch to both PC's ?

    regards, Richard

    "Pavel A." wrote in message
    > If they can lay ethernet cable there, it would be the best option
    > to connect non-portable desktops -
    > especially if these are used for serious things.
    > Then you can make a "private" network between these PCs,
    > and connect them to internet over wi-fi.
    >
    > Regards,
    > --PA
    >

    > RJK wrote:
    >> Sorry for being green but, never really had much to do with networking in
    >> over 25 years.
    >> I have tried reading through a couple of home networking primers but,
    >> they immediately raised so many questions, I though I'd better plead for
    >> help in here :-)
    >>
    >> A friend has hardware similar to mine, and he has :-
    >> 2 PC's connected to a Linksys WAG354G adsl modem/router which also feeds
    >> wireless internet to his two son's laptops.
    >>
    >> I've just built him a new system box, (gorgeous though I say it myself -
    >> Antec Sonata III case | Asrock AlivNF6G | Athlon 64 x2 6000 | 2gb Crucial
    >> Ballstix | 2 x 160gb Seagate hd's | DVD ROM & DVD rewriter | 3 1/2" card
    >> reader. XP Home ed. SP3 in it, all up to date and hardware and software
    >> performing very well.
    >>
    >> His "old" PC he's moved over to the other side of his office, and he
    >> would like for his wife to be able to work on spreadsheets that are
    >> located on his new "main" PC. ...so I clapped my hands to my face and
    >> cried, ..."Where do I start ?"
    >>
    >> Do I have to connect the two PC's with a crossover cable, or because
    >> they're both already connected to that WAG354G router - the answer is
    >> "No" ?
    >>
    >> Does the "main" PC somehow get a drive letter like H:\ , and that's how
    >> his wife will access those spreadsheet files on that PC ? It must be
    >> aroundabout 20 years since I fiddled with "Assign.exe" and "Subst.exe"
    >> and that sort of stuff. I did dabble with networking at that time but,
    >> can't remember any of it.
    >>
    >> ...any links to good home networking primers would be much appreciated.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> regards, Richard

  8. Re: How to "network" 2 PC's

    RJK wrote:
    > Thanks for your response, there is already an rj45 cable from the Linksys
    > WAG354G, (located right beside the "main" PC), which goes around the office
    > to the "2nd" PC.
    >
    > So the WAG354G has a 1.5 metre rj45 to the main PC, and a longer one off to
    > the 2nd PC.
    > In other words that modem/router is just feeding internet into 2 PC's. (and
    > via wifi - to two laptops)
    > (2nd older PC's motherboard had no LAN port, so its' rj45 plug goes into a
    > PCI LAN card.)
    >
    > Having glanced through some web tutorials and primers, I just ended up more
    > confused, as to how to connect things up, and am wondering if I'll need a
    > "switch" so that the router feeds internet into that, and then there'll be
    > enough rj45 plug holes to go from the switch to both PC's ?
    >
    > regards, Richard

    Then maybe find someone else to setup the network.
    This indeed is not so simple, and cost of doing it wrong may be too high.

    Regards,
    --PA

    > "Pavel A." wrote in message
    >> If they can lay ethernet cable there, it would be the best option
    >> to connect non-portable desktops -
    >> especially if these are used for serious things.
    >> Then you can make a "private" network between these PCs,
    >> and connect them to internet over wi-fi.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> --PA
    >>

    >> RJK wrote:
    >>> Sorry for being green but, never really had much to do with networking in
    >>> over 25 years.
    >>> I have tried reading through a couple of home networking primers but,
    >>> they immediately raised so many questions, I though I'd better plead for
    >>> help in here :-)
    >>>
    >>> A friend has hardware similar to mine, and he has :-
    >>> 2 PC's connected to a Linksys WAG354G adsl modem/router which also feeds
    >>> wireless internet to his two son's laptops.
    >>>
    >>> I've just built him a new system box, (gorgeous though I say it myself -
    >>> Antec Sonata III case | Asrock AlivNF6G | Athlon 64 x2 6000 | 2gb Crucial
    >>> Ballstix | 2 x 160gb Seagate hd's | DVD ROM & DVD rewriter | 3 1/2" card
    >>> reader. XP Home ed. SP3 in it, all up to date and hardware and software
    >>> performing very well.
    >>>
    >>> His "old" PC he's moved over to the other side of his office, and he
    >>> would like for his wife to be able to work on spreadsheets that are
    >>> located on his new "main" PC. ...so I clapped my hands to my face and
    >>> cried, ..."Where do I start ?"
    >>>
    >>> Do I have to connect the two PC's with a crossover cable, or because
    >>> they're both already connected to that WAG354G router - the answer is
    >>> "No" ?
    >>>
    >>> Does the "main" PC somehow get a drive letter like H:\ , and that's how
    >>> his wife will access those spreadsheet files on that PC ? It must be
    >>> aroundabout 20 years since I fiddled with "Assign.exe" and "Subst.exe"
    >>> and that sort of stuff. I did dabble with networking at that time but,
    >>> can't remember any of it.
    >>>
    >>> ...any links to good home networking primers would be much appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>>
    >>> regards, Richard

  9. Re: How to "network" 2 PC's

    Put it this way then

    Can a Linksys WAG354G adsl modem/router supply internet to two PC's, AND
    network two PC's at the same time ?
    ....and will one PC need two NIC's ?

    regards, Richard

    "RJK" wrote in message
    > Sorry for being green but, never really had much to do with networking in
    > over 25 years.
    > I have tried reading through a couple of home networking primers but, they
    > immediately raised so many questions, I though I'd better plead for help
    > in here :-)
    >
    > A friend has hardware similar to mine, and he has :-
    > 2 PC's connected to a Linksys WAG354G adsl modem/router which also feeds
    > wireless internet to his two son's laptops.
    >
    > I've just built him a new system box, (gorgeous though I say it myself -
    > Antec Sonata III case | Asrock AlivNF6G | Athlon 64 x2 6000 | 2gb Crucial
    > Ballstix | 2 x 160gb Seagate hd's | DVD ROM & DVD rewriter | 3 1/2" card
    > reader. XP Home ed. SP3 in it, all up to date and hardware and software
    > performing very well.
    >
    > His "old" PC he's moved over to the other side of his office, and he would
    > like for his wife to be able to work on spreadsheets that are located on
    > his new "main" PC. ...so I clapped my hands to my face and cried,
    > ..."Where do I start ?"
    >
    > Do I have to connect the two PC's with a crossover cable, or because
    > they're both already connected to that WAG354G router - the answer is "No"
    > ?
    >
    > Does the "main" PC somehow get a drive letter like H:\ , and that's how
    > his wife will access those spreadsheet files on that PC ? It must be
    > aroundabout 20 years since I fiddled with "Assign.exe" and "Subst.exe" and
    > that sort of stuff. I did dabble with networking at that time but, can't
    > remember any of it.
    >
    > ...any links to good home networking primers would be much appreciated.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > regards, Richard

+ Reply to Thread