Laptop wifi "Broadcaster" - Wireless

This is a discussion on Laptop wifi "Broadcaster" - Wireless ; I can do this easily on my Mac laptop but can't figure out for the life of me how to make it work in Windows XP. What I want to do is "share" my wired internet connection by using my ...

  1. Laptop wifi "Broadcaster"

    I can do this easily on my Mac laptop but can't figure out for the life of me
    how to make it work in Windows XP.

    What I want to do is "share" my wired internet connection by using my
    laptop's wifi as a "broadcaster." On my Mac, it's as simple as going into
    system settings and turning on "Internet sharing." I looked for every
    setting I could think of in Network Connections but just couldn't figure
    anything out. I'm usually pretty good and finding the similarities between
    Mac and PC but, this one's got me stumped. Anybody?

  2. Re: Laptop wifi "Broadcaster"

    turbonium2 wrote:
    > I can do this easily on my Mac laptop but can't figure out for the life of me
    > how to make it work in Windows XP.
    >
    > What I want to do is "share" my wired internet connection by using my
    > laptop's wifi as a "broadcaster." On my Mac, it's as simple as going into
    > system settings and turning on "Internet sharing." I looked for every
    > setting I could think of in Network Connections but just couldn't figure
    > anything out. I'm usually pretty good and finding the similarities between
    > Mac and PC but, this one's got me stumped. Anybody?

    Windows calls this "Internet Connection Sharing." It works, but not as
    well as buying a separate wireless router.

    Enable Windows Internet Connection Sharing. The catch is that you will
    have to set up an "ad hoc" wireless connection between the laptops. If
    you're using XP, only the extremely weak WEP encryption is available for
    ad hoc wireless networks. Vista enables WPA2.

    See http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...tup/adhoc.mspx

    For basic ICS setup, see this article by MVP Steve Winograd:
    http://practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

  3. Re: Laptop wifi "Broadcaster"

    turbonium2 wrote:
    > I can do this easily on my Mac laptop but can't figure out for the life of me
    > how to make it work in Windows XP.
    >
    > What I want to do is "share" my wired internet connection by using my
    > laptop's wifi as a "broadcaster." On my Mac, it's as simple as going into
    > system settings and turning on "Internet sharing." I looked for every
    > setting I could think of in Network Connections but just couldn't figure
    > anything out. I'm usually pretty good and finding the similarities between
    > Mac and PC but, this one's got me stumped. Anybody?

    You want the laptop to act as a wireless AP or router.
    Unless the fi-wi device vendor provides a driver that supports
    "software" AP mode, you can't do this on Windows.
    (However such configuration is well known in Linux - perhaps on Mac
    too, since it's based on BSD...)

    Sharing wi-fi connection on WinXP in ad-hoc mode works so much worse
    than a router, that IMHO it's not worth trying.
    On Vista ad-hoc works somewhat better, but this isn't a compelling
    reason for move to Vista...

    Regards,
    --PA

  4. Re: Laptop wifi "Broadcaster"

    On Aug 19, 1:26*am, turbonium2
    wrote:
    > I can do this easily on my Mac laptop but can't figure out for the life of me
    > how to make it work in Windows XP.
    >
    > What I want to do is "share" my wired internet connection by using my
    > laptop's wifi as a "broadcaster." *On my Mac, it's as simple as going into
    > system settings and turning on "Internet sharing." *I looked for every
    > setting I could think of in Network Connections but just couldn't figure
    > anything out. *I'm usually pretty good and finding the similarities between
    > Mac and PC but, this one's got me stumped. *Anybody?

    Not directly from Windows XP.

    Look at: http://www.2hotspot.com/

  5. Re: Laptop wifi "Broadcaster"

    Thanks people. Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to work. Oh well. I think
    the wireless card in my PC probably does not support what I'm trying to do as
    Pavel A stated.

    "smlunatick" wrote:

    > On Aug 19, 1:26 am, turbonium2
    > wrote:
    > > I can do this easily on my Mac laptop but can't figure out for the life of me
    > > how to make it work in Windows XP.
    > >
    > > What I want to do is "share" my wired internet connection by using my
    > > laptop's wifi as a "broadcaster." On my Mac, it's as simple as going into
    > > system settings and turning on "Internet sharing." I looked for every
    > > setting I could think of in Network Connections but just couldn't figure
    > > anything out. I'm usually pretty good and finding the similarities between
    > > Mac and PC but, this one's got me stumped. Anybody?

    > Not directly from Windows XP.
    >
    > Look at: http://www.2hotspot.com/

+ Reply to Thread