What equals what - Wireless

This is a discussion on What equals what - Wireless ; Security on my netgear router has only WEP Authentication type is: Automatic, Shared Key and Open System with the encryption strength of Disable, 64 bit and 128 bit How do these relate to Vista and its Security of Shared, WPA-2 ...

  1. What equals what

    Security on my netgear router has only WEP
    Authentication type is: Automatic, Shared Key and Open System
    with the encryption strength of Disable, 64 bit and 128 bit

    How do these relate to Vista and its Security of

    Shared, WPA-2 Personal, WPA-Personal, 802.1x, and two enterprise WPA's

    I need to connect these two together so I can lock my neighbors out of my
    access point but can't resolve the difference in terms.

    TIA

  2. Re: What equals what

    Hi
    From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    No Security
    WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
    WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
    your Wireless hardware.
    phrase.
    of one of the Wireless devices.
    device with a better one.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Andy Whitney" wrote in message
    > Security on my netgear router has only WEP
    > Authentication type is: Automatic, Shared Key and Open System
    > with the encryption strength of Disable, 64 bit and 128 bit
    >
    > How do these relate to Vista and its Security of
    >
    > Shared, WPA-2 Personal, WPA-Personal, 802.1x, and two enterprise WPA's
    >

    > I need to connect these two together so I can lock my neighbors out of my
    > access point but can't resolve the difference in terms.
    >
    > TIA

  3. Re: What equals what

    Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
    > Hi
    > From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    > No Security
    > MAC______(Band Aid if nothing else is available).
    > WEP64____(Easy, to "Break" by knowledgeable people).
    > WEP128___(A little Harder, but "Hackable" too).
    > WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
    > WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    > WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
    > Note 1: WPA-AES the the current entry level rendition of WPA2.
    > Note 2: If you use WinXP and did not updated it you would have to
    > download the WPA2 patch from Microsoft.
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357
    > The documentation of your Wireless devices (Wireless Router, and
    > Wireless Computer's Card) should state the type of security that is
    > available with your Wireless hardware.
    > All devices MUST be set to the same security level using the same pass
    > phrase.
    > Therefore the security must be set according what ever is the best
    > possible of one of the Wireless devices.
    > I.e. even if most of your system might be capable to be configured to
    > the max. with WPA2, but one device is only capable to be configured to
    > max . of WEP, to whole system must be configured to WEP.
    > If you need more good security and one device (like a Wireless card that
    > can do WEP only) is holding better security for the whole Network,
    > replace the device with a better one.
    > Setting Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Andy Whitney" wrote in message
    >> Security on my netgear router has only WEP
    >> Authentication type is: Automatic, Shared Key and Open System
    >> with the encryption strength of Disable, 64 bit and 128 bit
    >>
    >> How do these relate to Vista and its Security of
    >>
    >> Shared, WPA-2 Personal, WPA-Personal, 802.1x, and two enterprise WPA's
    >>

    >> I need to connect these two together so I can lock my neighbors out of
    >> my access point but can't resolve the difference in terms.
    >>
    >> TIA

    The problem is matching the 54terms from the router to the terms of the
    vista configuration.

    I did Automatic and enable with WEP 64 bit encryption at the router with
    13 character passphrase, then went to Vista, Open and entered the
    passphrase. I can connect to the router but cannot get through to the
    internet. A direct connected computer to the router has no problems
    getting to the internet.
    When I dropped the encryption, all laptops connect to the router and the
    internet.

    Some incompatability in the configurations between the router and the
    vista laptops.

    GWB

  4. Re: What equals what

    Andy Whitney wrote:
    > Security on my netgear router has only WEP
    > Authentication type is: Automatic, Shared Key and Open System
    > with the encryption strength of Disable, 64 bit and 128 bit
    >
    > How do these relate to Vista and its Security of
    >
    > Shared, WPA-2 Personal, WPA-Personal, 802.1x, and two enterprise WPA's
    >

    > I need to connect these two together so I can lock my neighbors out of my
    > access point but can't resolve the difference in terms.
    >
    > TIA

    Unless you have an old Netgear router, it should be capable of WPA2 or
    at least WPA. You may have to install up-to-date firmware. What model
    Netgear do you have?

    As far as the Vista options go:

    Use WPA2-Personal (preferably) or WPA-Personal.

    Do *NOT* use 802.1x or either of the "enterprise" WPA options.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

  5. Re: What equals what

    George W. Barrowcliff wrote:
    > Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
    >> Hi
    >> From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    >> No Security
    >> MAC______(Band Aid if nothing else is available).
    >> WEP64____(Easy, to "Break" by knowledgeable people).
    >> WEP128___(A little Harder, but "Hackable" too).
    >> WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
    >> WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    >> WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
    >> Note 1: WPA-AES the the current entry level rendition of WPA2.
    >> Note 2: If you use WinXP and did not updated it you would have to
    >> download the WPA2 patch from Microsoft.
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357
    >> The documentation of your Wireless devices (Wireless Router, and
    >> Wireless Computer's Card) should state the type of security that is
    >> available with your Wireless hardware.
    >> All devices MUST be set to the same security level using the same pass
    >> phrase.
    >> Therefore the security must be set according what ever is the best
    >> possible of one of the Wireless devices.
    >> I.e. even if most of your system might be capable to be configured to
    >> the max. with WPA2, but one device is only capable to be configured to
    >> max . of WEP, to whole system must be configured to WEP.
    >> If you need more good security and one device (like a Wireless card
    >> that can do WEP only) is holding better security for the whole
    >> Network, replace the device with a better one.
    >> Setting Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "Andy Whitney" wrote in message
    >>> Security on my netgear router has only WEP
    >>> Authentication type is: Automatic, Shared Key and Open System
    >>> with the encryption strength of Disable, 64 bit and 128 bit
    >>>
    >>> How do these relate to Vista and its Security of
    >>>
    >>> Shared, WPA-2 Personal, WPA-Personal, 802.1x, and two enterprise WPA's
    >>>

    >>> I need to connect these two together so I can lock my neighbors out
    >>> of my access point but can't resolve the difference in terms.
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>>

    > The problem is matching the 54terms from the router to the terms of the
    > vista configuration.
    >
    > I did Automatic and enable with WEP 64 bit encryption at the router with
    > 13 character passphrase, then went to Vista, Open and entered the
    > passphrase. I can connect to the router but cannot get through to the
    > internet. A direct connected computer to the router has no problems
    > getting to the internet.
    > When I dropped the encryption, all laptops connect to the router and the
    > internet.
    >
    > Some incompatability in the configurations between the router and the
    > vista laptops.
    >
    > GWB

    Read Jack's post. A "direct connected" computer (i.e., one that is
    connected to the router with an Ethernet cable) does not use any
    encryption. Encryption is a security model for wireless networking only.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

  6. Re: What equals what

    As Lem mentioned, unless the Netgear is an old 802.11b wireless
    router, there may be firmware that enables WPA2/WPA. What modem
    router and what hardware version?

    If it is an old 802.11b only router, you should replace it, since
    WEP is just NOT safe to use.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP