choice between wired and wireless network - Wireless

This is a discussion on choice between wired and wireless network - Wireless ; Hi I have an existing and working wireless WPA secured home network that now has my 3 PCs connecting via a router to a cable modem that then connects to the internet using COX cable internet. I am experimenting with ...

  1. choice between wired and wireless network

    Hi

    I have an existing and working wireless WPA secured home network that now
    has my 3 PCs connecting via a router to a cable modem that then connects to
    the internet using COX cable internet.

    I am experimenting with changing the existing (weak because of walls)
    wireless connection between one PC and the router by using a 50 ft 5E cable
    going through the attic to connect the two. The cable has been passed and
    is connected.

    My question is: when I now connect to the internet from this PC how does XP
    Home SP3 choose to connect? Does it connect preferentially through the
    cable connection or through the wireless one? How do I find out? Can I
    influence that decision?

    Thanks.

    Jeff

  2. Re: choice between wired and wireless network

    This is how you influence Windows' decision... leave it no choice
    Just disable the connection that you don't want to use.

    --PA

    wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I have an existing and working wireless WPA secured home network that now
    > has my 3 PCs connecting via a router to a cable modem that then connects
    > to the internet using COX cable internet.
    >
    > I am experimenting with changing the existing (weak because of walls)
    > wireless connection between one PC and the router by using a 50 ft 5E
    > cable going through the attic to connect the two. The cable has been
    > passed and is connected.
    >
    > My question is: when I now connect to the internet from this PC how does
    > XP Home SP3 choose to connect? Does it connect preferentially through the
    > cable connection or through the wireless one? How do I find out? Can I
    > influence that decision?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Jeff

  3. Re: choice between wired and wireless network

    Yes, but if both are active, which one does Windows use?

    Jeff

    Pavel A. wrote:
    > This is how you influence Windows' decision... leave it no choice
    > Just disable the connection that you don't want to use.
    >
    > --PA
    >

    > wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I have an existing and working wireless WPA secured home network
    >> that now has my 3 PCs connecting via a router to a cable modem that
    >> then connects to the internet using COX cable internet.
    >>
    >> I am experimenting with changing the existing (weak because of walls)
    >> wireless connection between one PC and the router by using a 50 ft 5E
    >> cable going through the attic to connect the two. The cable has been
    >> passed and is connected.
    >>
    >> My question is: when I now connect to the internet from this PC how
    >> does XP Home SP3 choose to connect? Does it connect preferentially
    >> through the cable connection or through the wireless one? How do I
    >> find out? Can I influence that decision?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> Jeff

  4. Re: choice between wired and wireless network

    start here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894564

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

  5. Re: choice between wired and wireless network

    Thank you Barb.

    Jeff

    Barb Bowman wrote:
    > start here:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894564
    >
    > On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 23:52:14 -0400, wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, but if both are active, which one does Windows use?
    >>
    >> Jeff
    >>
    >> Pavel A. wrote:
    >>> This is how you influence Windows' decision... leave it no choice
    >>> Just disable the connection that you don't want to use.
    >>>
    >>> --PA
    >>>

    >>> wrote in message

  6. Re: choice between wired and wireless network

    Hi
    It can be done this way as well, http://www.ezlan.net/metrics.html
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I have an existing and working wireless WPA secured home network that now
    > has my 3 PCs connecting via a router to a cable modem that then connects
    > to the internet using COX cable internet.
    >
    > I am experimenting with changing the existing (weak because of walls)
    > wireless connection between one PC and the router by using a 50 ft 5E
    > cable going through the attic to connect the two. The cable has been
    > passed and is connected.
    >
    > My question is: when I now connect to the internet from this PC how does
    > XP Home SP3 choose to connect? Does it connect preferentially through the
    > cable connection or through the wireless one? How do I find out? Can I
    > influence that decision?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Jeff

  7. Re: choice between wired and wireless network

    Thank you so much. Excellent.

    Jeff

    Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
    > Hi
    > It can be done this way as well, http://www.ezlan.net/metrics.html
    > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >
    > wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I have an existing and working wireless WPA secured home network
    >> that now has my 3 PCs connecting via a router to a cable modem that
    >> then connects to the internet using COX cable internet.
    >>
    >> I am experimenting with changing the existing (weak because of walls)
    >> wireless connection between one PC and the router by using a 50 ft 5E
    >> cable going through the attic to connect the two. The cable has been
    >> passed and is connected.
    >>
    >> My question is: when I now connect to the internet from this PC how
    >> does XP Home SP3 choose to connect? Does it connect preferentially
    >> through the cable connection or through the wireless one? How do I
    >> find out? Can I influence that decision?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> Jeff

  8. Re: choice between wired and wireless network

    wrote in message
    > Yes, but if both are active, which one does Windows use?

    You get a mess.

    175767 - Expected Behavior of Multiple Adapters on Same Network

    There is no point is "screwing around" with the interfaces, routing tables,
    etc. of the machine. Just runs things the way you are supposed to and you
    won't have trouble. Just disable the "connection"that you are not using.
    Instead of trying to find some way to stick your finger in your eye in a way
    that doesn't hurt and much and still lets you see,...just stop sticking your
    finger in your eye.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com