Can I tell when someone is accessing my wirelsss LAN - Wireless

This is a discussion on Can I tell when someone is accessing my wirelsss LAN - Wireless ; Hi, I have a wireless LAN at home and notice there is another LAN in the vicinity as it comes and goes when I look for my LAN connection. It says that is locked and secured. How can I tell ...

  1. Can I tell when someone is accessing my wirelsss LAN

    Hi,

    I have a wireless LAN at home and notice there is another LAN in the
    vicinity as it comes and goes when I look for my LAN connection. It says
    that is locked and secured.

    How can I tell whether they are actually into my computer. Is there
    anyway to see this or does one just assume they could be there if we
    were unprotected.

    In have the XP Firewall on and the router FW is on. I was having
    trouble connecting with WEP so have it now as open so that worries me a
    little.

    I use Netgear WGT624vs latest FW from the cable modem and then the
    wireless is from another XP on the wired LAN Hub through a Compex
    Netpassage16 to a small Netgear wireless WG111 vs in my laptop USB

    I have XP SP2.

    rock

  2. Re: Can I tell when someone is accessing my wirelsss LAN

    rock wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a wireless LAN at home and notice there is another LAN in the
    > vicinity as it comes and goes when I look for my LAN connection. It says
    > that is locked and secured.
    >
    > How can I tell whether they are actually into my computer. Is there
    > anyway to see this or does one just assume they could be there if we
    > were unprotected.
    >
    > In have the XP Firewall on and the router FW is on. I was having
    > trouble connecting with WEP so have it now as open so that worries me a
    > little.
    >
    > I use Netgear WGT624vs latest FW from the cable modem and then the
    > wireless is from another XP on the wired LAN Hub through a Compex
    > Netpassage16 to a small Netgear wireless WG111 vs in my laptop USB
    >
    > I have XP SP2.
    >
    > rock

    "Locked and secured" means that the owner of that wifi network has
    enabled wireless encryption. You should too. Moreover, these days WEP
    is close to no encryption. It's kind of like having your screen door
    closed but leaving the front door open behind it: it keeps the gnats
    out but not much else. You should use at least WPA and preferably WPA2.

    Your network setup seems unnecessarily complicated. Why do you have two
    wireless routers? If the Netgear WGT624 is connected to the cable
    modem, why not just connect wirelessly to that?

    As far as someone "getting into" your computer is concerned, you should
    be more worried about people who you can't see than your neighbor who is
    probably more concerned with his or her own wifi network than doing
    anything with yours. You should, however, be sure to change the your
    network name (SSID) from the default -- if nothing else, to make sure
    that someone doesn't connect to it by mistake, especially if it's not
    secured.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

  3. Re: Can I tell when someone is accessing my wirelsss LAN

    Lem wrote:
    > rock wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have a wireless LAN at home and notice there is another LAN in the
    >> vicinity as it comes and goes when I look for my LAN connection. It says
    >> that is locked and secured.
    >>
    >> How can I tell whether they are actually into my computer. Is there
    >> anyway to see this or does one just assume they could be there if we
    >> were unprotected.
    >>
    >> In have the XP Firewall on and the router FW is on. I was having
    >> trouble connecting with WEP so have it now as open so that worries me
    >> a little.
    >>
    >> I use Netgear WGT624vs latest FW from the cable modem and then the
    >> wireless is from another XP on the wired LAN Hub through a Compex
    >> Netpassage16 to a small Netgear wireless WG111 vs in my laptop USB
    >>
    >> I have XP SP2.
    >>
    >> rock

    > "Locked and secured" means that the owner of that wifi network has
    > enabled wireless encryption. You should too. Moreover, these days WEP
    > is close to no encryption. It's kind of like having your screen door
    > closed but leaving the front door open behind it: it keeps the gnats
    > out but not much else. You should use at least WPA and preferably WPA2.
    >
    > Your network setup seems unnecessarily complicated. Why do you have two
    > wireless routers? If the Netgear WGT624 is connected to the cable
    > modem, why not just connect wirelessly to that?
    >
    > As far as someone "getting into" your computer is concerned, you should
    > be more worried about people who you can't see than your neighbor who is
    > probably more concerned with his or her own wifi network than doing
    > anything with yours. You should, however, be sure to change the your
    > network name (SSID) from the default -- if nothing else, to make sure
    > that someone doesn't connect to it by mistake, especially if it's not
    > secured.

    Thank you.

    The only reason I have 2 routers is because the second one is in a
    different building and too far from the first one. It is connected to
    an XP box that is connected to the wired LAN.

    I will look at the WP security now

    rock

  4. Re: Can I tell when someone is accessing my wirelsss LAN

    Hi
    From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    No Security
    WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
    WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
    your Wireless hardware.
    phrase.
    of one of the Wireless devices.
    device with a better one.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "rock" <1940@pobox.com> wrote in message
    > Lem wrote:
    >> rock wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I have a wireless LAN at home and notice there is another LAN in the
    >>> vicinity as it comes and goes when I look for my LAN connection. It says
    >>> that is locked and secured.
    >>>
    >>> How can I tell whether they are actually into my computer. Is there
    >>> anyway to see this or does one just assume they could be there if we
    >>> were unprotected.
    >>>
    >>> In have the XP Firewall on and the router FW is on. I was having
    >>> trouble connecting with WEP so have it now as open so that worries me a
    >>> little.
    >>>
    >>> I use Netgear WGT624vs latest FW from the cable modem and then the
    >>> wireless is from another XP on the wired LAN Hub through a Compex
    >>> Netpassage16 to a small Netgear wireless WG111 vs in my laptop USB
    >>>
    >>> I have XP SP2.
    >>>
    >>> rock

    >> "Locked and secured" means that the owner of that wifi network has
    >> enabled wireless encryption. You should too. Moreover, these days WEP
    >> is close to no encryption. It's kind of like having your screen door
    >> closed but leaving the front door open behind it: it keeps the gnats out
    >> but not much else. You should use at least WPA and preferably WPA2.
    >>
    >> Your network setup seems unnecessarily complicated. Why do you have two
    >> wireless routers? If the Netgear WGT624 is connected to the cable modem,
    >> why not just connect wirelessly to that?
    >>
    >> As far as someone "getting into" your computer is concerned, you should
    >> be more worried about people who you can't see than your neighbor who is
    >> probably more concerned with his or her own wifi network than doing
    >> anything with yours. You should, however, be sure to change the your
    >> network name (SSID) from the default -- if nothing else, to make sure
    >> that someone doesn't connect to it by mistake, especially if it's not
    >> secured.
    >>

    > Thank you.
    >
    > The only reason I have 2 routers is because the second one is in a
    > different building and too far from the first one. It is connected to an
    > XP box that is connected to the wired LAN.
    >
    > I will look at the WP security now
    >
    > rock

  5. Re: Can I tell when someone is accessing my wirelsss LAN

    "rock" <1940@pobox.com> wrote in message
    > The only reason I have 2 routers is because the second one is in a
    > different building and too far from the first one. It is connected to an
    > XP box that is connected to the wired LAN.

    You don't use two routers for that. You use ONE. To add wireless
    connectivity a distance away use a Wireless Access Point (WAP),...not a
    "router". You connect the WAP to the "router" via ethernet cable the same
    way you would connect a PC to the "router".

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

  6. Re: Can I tell when someone is accessing my wirelsss LAN

    Phillip Windell wrote:
    > "rock" <1940@pobox.com> wrote in message
    >> The only reason I have 2 routers is because the second one is in a
    >> different building and too far from the first one. It is connected to an
    >> XP box that is connected to the wired LAN.

    > You don't use two routers for that. You use ONE. To add wireless
    > connectivity a distance away use a Wireless Access Point (WAP),...not a
    > "router". You connect the WAP to the "router" via ethernet cable the same
    > way you would connect a PC to the "router".

    Sorry.. that's what I meant. Wrong choice of word.

    rock

  7. Re: Can I tell when someone is accessing my wirelsss LAN

    Thank you Jack.. An excellent description which will help me a lot.

    rock

    Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
    > Hi
    > From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    > No Security
    > MAC______(Band Aid if nothing else is available).
    > WEP64____(Easy, to "Break" by knowledgeable people).
    > WEP128___(A little Harder, but "Hackable" too).
    > WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
    > WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    > WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
    > Note 1: WPA-AES the the current entry level rendition of WPA2.
    > Note 2: If you use WinXP and did not updated it you would have to
    > download the WPA2 patch from Microsoft.
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357
    > The documentation of your Wireless devices (Wireless Router, and
    > Wireless Computer's Card) should state the type of security that is
    > available with your Wireless hardware.
    > All devices MUST be set to the same security level using the same pass
    > phrase.
    > Therefore the security must be set according what ever is the best
    > possible of one of the Wireless devices.
    > I.e. even if most of your system might be capable to be configured to
    > the max. with WPA2, but one device is only capable to be configured to
    > max . of WEP, to whole system must be configured to WEP.
    > If you need more good security and one device (like a Wireless card that
    > can do WEP only) is holding better security for the whole Network,
    > replace the device with a better one.
    > Setting Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >

    > "rock" <1940@pobox.com> wrote in message

    >>> "Locked and secured" means that the owner of that wifi network has
    >>> enabled wireless encryption. You should too. Moreover, these days
    >>> WEP is close to no encryption. It's kind of like having your screen
    >>> door closed but leaving the front door open behind it: it keeps the
    >>> gnats out but not much else. You should use at least WPA and
    >>> preferably WPA2.
    >>>
    >>> Your network setup seems unnecessarily complicated. Why do you have
    >>> two wireless routers? If the Netgear WGT624 is connected to the
    >>> cable modem, why not just connect wirelessly to that?
    >>>
    >>> As far as someone "getting into" your computer is concerned, you
    >>> should be more worried about people who you can't see than your
    >>> neighbor who is probably more concerned with his or her own wifi
    >>> network than doing anything with yours. You should, however, be sure
    >>> to change the your network name (SSID) from the default -- if nothing
    >>> else, to make sure that someone doesn't connect to it by mistake,
    >>> especially if it's not secured.
    >>>

    >> Thank you.
    >>
    >> The only reason I have 2 routers is because the second one is in a
    >> different building and too far from the first one. It is connected to
    >> an XP box that is connected to the wired LAN.
    >>
    >> I will look at the WP security now
    >>
    >> rock

  8. Re: Can I tell when someone is accessing my wirelsss LAN

    Ah, ok,..no problem.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    > Phillip Windell wrote:
    >> "rock" <1940@pobox.com> wrote in message
    >>> The only reason I have 2 routers is because the second one is in a
    >>> different building and too far from the first one. It is connected to
    >>> an XP box that is connected to the wired LAN.

    >> You don't use two routers for that. You use ONE. To add wireless
    >> connectivity a distance away use a Wireless Access Point (WAP),...not a
    >> "router". You connect the WAP to the "router" via ethernet cable the
    >> same way you would connect a PC to the "router".
    >>

    > Sorry.. that's what I meant. Wrong choice of word.
    >
    > rock

+ Reply to Thread