Wireless Network Showing Up As Wired - Wireless

This is a discussion on Wireless Network Showing Up As Wired - Wireless ; On my dell thats few years old I installed a Belkin USB wireless adapter. It all worked fine at first. Now the connection shows up as Local Area Connection 6 and it has no options of wireless to speak of. ...

  1. Wireless Network Showing Up As Wired

    On my dell thats few years old I installed a Belkin USB wireless adapter. It
    all worked fine at first.

    Now the connection shows up as Local Area Connection 6 and it has no options
    of wireless to speak of. When I installed the drivers I chose to let windows
    manage the wireless.

    I don't really care what it shows up as, but I cant choose what network I
    connect to. I just want to be able to choose o connect to my network and not
    my neighbors.

    Thanks for any help.

  2. Re: Wireless Network Showing Up As Wired

    Ricky wrote:
    > On my dell thats few years old I installed a Belkin USB wireless adapter. It
    > all worked fine at first.
    >
    > Now the connection shows up as Local Area Connection 6 and it has no options
    > of wireless to speak of. When I installed the drivers I chose to let windows
    > manage the wireless.
    >
    > I don't really care what it shows up as, but I cant choose what network I
    > connect to. I just want to be able to choose o connect to my network and not
    > my neighbors.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

    Are you sure that the "Local area connection" device is
    indeed the wireless, and not the ethernet card?

    --PA

  3. Re: Wireless Network Showing Up As Wired

    Hi
    Check the Device Manger, if the Wireless card does not appear there, unplug
    the card,
    Uninstall its software, reboot, and do a new install.
    If it does not work you might need a new Wireless card.
    In general, http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    "Ricky" wrote in message
    > On my dell thats few years old I installed a Belkin USB wireless adapter.
    > It
    > all worked fine at first.
    >
    > Now the connection shows up as Local Area Connection 6 and it has no
    > options
    > of wireless to speak of. When I installed the drivers I chose to let
    > windows
    > manage the wireless.
    >
    > I don't really care what it shows up as, but I cant choose what network I
    > connect to. I just want to be able to choose o connect to my network and
    > not
    > my neighbors.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

+ Reply to Thread