Laptop to Laptop with ATT LapConnect - Wireless

This is a discussion on Laptop to Laptop with ATT LapConnect - Wireless ; I have a laptop with ATT lapConnect which has internet access. I would like to connect another laptop to this laptop wirelessly and share internet connection. How do I configure this sharing mechanism?...

  1. Laptop to Laptop with ATT LapConnect

    I have a laptop with ATT lapConnect which has internet access. I would like
    to connect another laptop to this laptop wirelessly and share internet
    connection. How do I configure this sharing mechanism?

  2. Re: Laptop to Laptop with ATT LapConnect

    Benedictum wrote:
    > I have a laptop with ATT lapConnect which has internet access. I would like
    > to connect another laptop to this laptop wirelessly and share internet
    > connection. How do I configure this sharing mechanism?

    The same way you would go about sharing any other Internet connection.
    You have two choices (both assume that each laptop has wifi capability
    and that you're using Windows XP):

    1. Get a wireless router that can connect to the broadband source. For
    example, the Linksys WRT54G3G-AT is an 802.11g wifi router that accepts
    AT&T broadband wireless cards. (I'm not associated with Linksys and
    have no opinion about the merits, pro or con, of this device. It's just
    an example.) This piece of hardware is not particularly inexpensive, but
    IMHO, using a router to share an Internet connection is far more
    preferable than option 2. If you take this option, make sure that your
    AT&T broadband card is supported by whatever router you choose. Here's
    the WRT54G3G-AT page: http://tinyurl.com/6nmsfc

    2. Enable Windows Internet Connection Sharing. The catch is that you
    will have to set up an "ad hoc" wireless connection between the laptops.
    If you're using XP, only the extremely weak WEP encryption is
    available for ad hoc wireless networks. Vista enables WPA2.

    See http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...tup/adhoc.mspx

    For basic ICS setup, see this article by MVP Steve Winograd:
    http://practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP