Can no longer detect wireless networks - help requested - Wireless

This is a discussion on Can no longer detect wireless networks - help requested - Wireless ; I have an HPDV2310 laptop running vista home premium with an 802.11 a/b/g wireless lan & bluetooth. Its about a year old and I've been having no problems with wireless networking until about a day ago. Starting then, I can ...

  1. Can no longer detect wireless networks - help requested

    I have an HPDV2310 laptop running vista home premium with an 802.11
    a/b/g wireless lan & bluetooth. Its about a year old and I've been
    having no problems with wireless networking until about a day ago.
    Starting then, I can no longer detect any wireless networks - either
    my own or my neighbors. I know they're out there because my wife can
    detect them on her laptop and she has no trouble connecting to our
    Linksys Wireless G router.

    Device manager shows my bluetooth devices and indicates they are
    working properly. My wireless led is lit up. When I go into the HP
    Wireless Assistant it shows that my Bluetooth is on. It gives me an
    error message "Your WLAN is turned off or disabled, follow the
    instructions in HP Wireless Assistant to turn on or enable the WLAN
    before continuing." I can't seem to find anything on enabling the
    WLAN.

    So I boot the laptop and hit F10 to get into the setup utility. I
    find that the network adapter setting at boot is set to "disabled."
    Feeling pretty proud of myself, I change that setting to "enabled" and
    proceed with the reboot. Deflated, I notice that I can still not find
    any wireless networks.

    Can anyone offer me any advice on how to further troubleshoot this?
    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Can no longer detect wireless networks - help requested

    "Deuce" wrote in message
    >I have an HPDV2310 laptop running vista home premium with an 802.11
    > a/b/g wireless lan & bluetooth. Its about a year old and I've been
    > having no problems with wireless networking until about a day ago.
    > Starting then, I can no longer detect any wireless networks - either
    > my own or my neighbors. I know they're out there because my wife can
    > detect them on her laptop and she has no trouble connecting to our
    > Linksys Wireless G router.
    >
    > Device manager shows my bluetooth devices and indicates they are
    > working properly. My wireless led is lit up. When I go into the HP
    > Wireless Assistant it shows that my Bluetooth is on. It gives me an
    > error message "Your WLAN is turned off or disabled, follow the
    > instructions in HP Wireless Assistant to turn on or enable the WLAN
    > before continuing." I can't seem to find anything on enabling the
    > WLAN.
    >
    > So I boot the laptop and hit F10 to get into the setup utility. I
    > find that the network adapter setting at boot is set to "disabled."
    > Feeling pretty proud of myself, I change that setting to "enabled" and
    > proceed with the reboot. Deflated, I notice that I can still not find
    > any wireless networks.
    >
    > Can anyone offer me any advice on how to further troubleshoot this?
    > Thanks in advance.

    has it got a mechanical switch or keyboard function to switch off
    WiFi.....that you may have accidentally switched off.

  3. Re: Can no longer detect wireless networks - help requested

    It has a mechanical switch on the front of the laptop. It's on.
    That's what I first suspected.....

    On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 19:19:04 +0100, "tpow"
    wrote:

    >"Deuce" wrote in message
    >>I have an HPDV2310 laptop running vista home premium with an 802.11
    >> a/b/g wireless lan & bluetooth. Its about a year old and I've been
    >> having no problems with wireless networking until about a day ago.
    >> Starting then, I can no longer detect any wireless networks - either
    >> my own or my neighbors. I know they're out there because my wife can
    >> detect them on her laptop and she has no trouble connecting to our
    >> Linksys Wireless G router.
    >>
    >> Device manager shows my bluetooth devices and indicates they are
    >> working properly. My wireless led is lit up. When I go into the HP
    >> Wireless Assistant it shows that my Bluetooth is on. It gives me an
    >> error message "Your WLAN is turned off or disabled, follow the
    >> instructions in HP Wireless Assistant to turn on or enable the WLAN
    >> before continuing." I can't seem to find anything on enabling the
    >> WLAN.
    >>
    >> So I boot the laptop and hit F10 to get into the setup utility. I
    >> find that the network adapter setting at boot is set to "disabled."
    >> Feeling pretty proud of myself, I change that setting to "enabled" and
    >> proceed with the reboot. Deflated, I notice that I can still not find
    >> any wireless networks.
    >>
    >> Can anyone offer me any advice on how to further troubleshoot this?
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >>

    >has it got a mechanical switch or keyboard function to switch off
    >WiFi.....that you may have accidentally switched off.

  4. Re: Can no longer detect wireless networks - help requested

    Hi
    Hi
    Try to put aside the Bluetooth "quest" since it has nothing to do with
    Ethernet Wireless.
    Follow the process in the following links to find out what changed in the
    configuration.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    "Deuce" wrote in message
    >I have an HPDV2310 laptop running vista home premium with an 802.11
    > a/b/g wireless lan & bluetooth. Its about a year old and I've been
    > having no problems with wireless networking until about a day ago.
    > Starting then, I can no longer detect any wireless networks - either
    > my own or my neighbors. I know they're out there because my wife can
    > detect them on her laptop and she has no trouble connecting to our
    > Linksys Wireless G router.
    >
    > Device manager shows my bluetooth devices and indicates they are
    > working properly. My wireless led is lit up. When I go into the HP
    > Wireless Assistant it shows that my Bluetooth is on. It gives me an
    > error message "Your WLAN is turned off or disabled, follow the
    > instructions in HP Wireless Assistant to turn on or enable the WLAN
    > before continuing." I can't seem to find anything on enabling the
    > WLAN.
    >
    > So I boot the laptop and hit F10 to get into the setup utility. I
    > find that the network adapter setting at boot is set to "disabled."
    > Feeling pretty proud of myself, I change that setting to "enabled" and
    > proceed with the reboot. Deflated, I notice that I can still not find
    > any wireless networks.
    >
    > Can anyone offer me any advice on how to further troubleshoot this?
    > Thanks in advance.

  5. RE: Can no longer detect wireless networks - help requested

    i have the same problem. the wireless drivers are just gone. this is actually
    the second HP laptop that i have had this problem with. i have never found a
    solution. was there any resolution to this problem?

    "Deuce" wrote:

    > I have an HPDV2310 laptop running vista home premium with an 802.11
    > a/b/g wireless lan & bluetooth. Its about a year old and I've been
    > having no problems with wireless networking until about a day ago.
    > Starting then, I can no longer detect any wireless networks - either
    > my own or my neighbors. I know they're out there because my wife can
    > detect them on her laptop and she has no trouble connecting to our
    > Linksys Wireless G router.
    >
    > Device manager shows my bluetooth devices and indicates they are
    > working properly. My wireless led is lit up. When I go into the HP
    > Wireless Assistant it shows that my Bluetooth is on. It gives me an
    > error message "Your WLAN is turned off or disabled, follow the
    > instructions in HP Wireless Assistant to turn on or enable the WLAN
    > before continuing." I can't seem to find anything on enabling the
    > WLAN.
    >
    > So I boot the laptop and hit F10 to get into the setup utility. I
    > find that the network adapter setting at boot is set to "disabled."
    > Feeling pretty proud of myself, I change that setting to "enabled" and
    > proceed with the reboot. Deflated, I notice that I can still not find
    > any wireless networks.
    >
    > Can anyone offer me any advice on how to further troubleshoot this?
    > Thanks in advance.

  6. RE: Can no longer detect wireless networks - help requested

    I have a new hp tablet pc with vista and I get kicked off my wireless
    network. Then can't detect any wireless networks while my other pc is still
    connected and never goes off . I have to reboot my computer everytime. I
    don't know if it is the notebook or windows vista. vista has been a night
    mare of problems.

    "morrigan" wrote:

    > i have the same problem. the wireless drivers are just gone. this is actually
    > the second HP laptop that i have had this problem with. i have never found a
    > solution. was there any resolution to this problem?
    >

    > "Deuce" wrote:
    >
    > > I have an HPDV2310 laptop running vista home premium with an 802.11
    > > a/b/g wireless lan & bluetooth. Its about a year old and I've been
    > > having no problems with wireless networking until about a day ago.
    > > Starting then, I can no longer detect any wireless networks - either
    > > my own or my neighbors. I know they're out there because my wife can
    > > detect them on her laptop and she has no trouble connecting to our
    > > Linksys Wireless G router.
    > >
    > > Device manager shows my bluetooth devices and indicates they are
    > > working properly. My wireless led is lit up. When I go into the HP
    > > Wireless Assistant it shows that my Bluetooth is on. It gives me an
    > > error message "Your WLAN is turned off or disabled, follow the
    > > instructions in HP Wireless Assistant to turn on or enable the WLAN
    > > before continuing." I can't seem to find anything on enabling the
    > > WLAN.
    > >
    > > So I boot the laptop and hit F10 to get into the setup utility. I
    > > find that the network adapter setting at boot is set to "disabled."
    > > Feeling pretty proud of myself, I change that setting to "enabled" and
    > > proceed with the reboot. Deflated, I notice that I can still not find
    > > any wireless networks.
    > >
    > > Can anyone offer me any advice on how to further troubleshoot this?
    > > Thanks in advance.

  7. Re: Can no longer detect wireless networks - help requested

    what brand and hardware revision router? what firmware is it
    running? what kind of security?

    Please post the text output of ipconfig /all

    http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.c...t-text-output/

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

  8. Re: Can no longer detect wireless networks - help requested

    I have the same problem here and am sick and tired off running down all of
    these blogs.
    It's a common problem. Why doesn't anybody have a solution?
    Everybody tells them to SWITCH ON THE SWITCH :S

  9. Re: Can no longer detect wireless networks - help requested

    unfortunately, most of the time people who think they have the same
    problem turn out to have something totally different.

    if you have an issue an would like some help, please post a complete
    description of the problem including what wireless NIC and router
    and what you have already tried to do to resolve the problem.

    if something stopped working, the first thing to try "generically"
    is a system restore to a point where you didn't have the problem.

    On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 09:56:03 -0700, Seydi
    wrote:

    >I have the same problem here and am sick and tired off running down all of
    >these blogs.
    >It's a common problem. Why doesn't anybody have a solution?
    >Everybody tells them to SWITCH ON THE SWITCH :S

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

  10. Re: Can no longer detect wireless networks - help requested

    My integrated wireless is screwed up somehow, and it's really puzzling me. It
    didn’t work yesterday, then worked briefly today - just as I had typed out a
    long explanation to post here - and now it doesn't again.

    I hadn't used wifi in about a month, and back then it worked like a song.
    (This is post SP1, so that can’t be it.) Yesterday, I was at my local pub,
    which has free wifi, and my computer couldn't find the network. My flatmate
    could connect on his Macbook. So there was a network with a strong signal.

    The wireless switch is set to on. The light is blue (on). However, when I
    boot up the computer, the little white box that briefly appears to say
    "Bluetooth: On" and "WLAN: On" only said "Bluetooth: On" on it - there wasn't
    a mention of WLAN (so it's not like it's saying WLAN is disabled). Bluetooth
    works fine.

    When I went to the Network & Sharing Centre, I did a "diagnose why you can't
    find any networks" and it said my wireless adapter was not
    installed/configured. I googled this, and got some answers - most of which
    were too technical or not exactly related to my problem. I did try some of
    the answers, noticed in my Device Manager that the MS 6to4 and ISATAP things
    had yellow exclamation mark signs, tried to update but it said I had the
    latest versions and this made no difference.

    I opened HP Wireless Assistant, and WLAN didn’t even appear there – not a
    mention of it, like it doesn’t exist. Bluetooth was there, and it was on. HP
    Wireless Assistant was set to show the icon in the notification area, and it
    did.

    I finally gave up yesterday, but I did install a Broadcom driver from HP's
    site, probably an old one, which overwrote the one I had already installed.

    So this morning, I took my laptop to work with me and was typing out a post
    for this forum when I booted up to get the correct wording on the messages I
    was getting. All of a sudden, in the little white box, it said "Bluetooth:
    Configured" and "WLAN: Configured", followed shortly by "Bluetooth: On" and
    "WLAN: On". Ah ha! Magically it worked!

    Then, it said it was installing a Broadcom Wireless 802.11 (or whatever)
    driver, then said that was successful. The HP Wireless Assistant icon was not
    in the notification area, although it was supposed to be. When I opened
    Wireless Asst., there were both WLAN and Bluetooth, both set to on.

    I took it to a nearby cafe and was successful in connecting to their free
    wifi.

    BUT THEN - I get home tonight, boot up the computer, and it's right back to
    where it was yesterday - no mention of WLAN in the little white box or the HP
    Wireless Assistant. The Asst. icon is back in the notification are (I mention
    this because it's about the only difference I notice.) Same result if I
    diagnose, and my flatmate can see one or two networks around our house.

    The only thing I did between yesterday and this morning was take it home
    from the pub, charge it overnight, and take it to work this morning.

    Sorry for the long mail, this is the only way i can get it right.

    Thanks for the reply!

  11. Re: Can no longer detect wireless networks - help requested

    when it is in the bad condition, please type

    ncpa.cpl [enter]

    in the start box

    what is the state of the wireless connection? enabled or disabled?
    red X or not?

    this statement:

    >Then, it said it was installing a Broadcom Wireless 802.11 (or whatever)
    >driver, then said that was successful. The HP Wireless Assistant icon was not
    >in the notification area, although it was supposed to be. When I opened
    >Wireless Asst., there were both WLAN and Bluetooth, both set to on.

    has me wondering exactly what update was installed. was it from
    Microsoft/Windows Update or HP Update? Can you look in Windows
    Update history and see if there was an update there? I know there
    was a recent Broadcom wireless driver update from Microsoft.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

  12. Re: Can no longer detect wireless networks - help requested

    Hi to everyone,
    Actually i have a problem of Wireless network adaptor in my HP Pavilion
    dv6428ca laptop.It does not catch any wireless signal and sometimes it shows
    the error message that your wireless network card is not installed n
    configured. Even the wireless indicator light is orange now instead of blue.
    Even i tried to fix it from the ON -OFF switch to turn it blue. So now my
    laptop is not catching any wireless signals. I have 2 years warranty for it.
    I went to best buy to get it fixed. But they said that i hv to send it to HP.
    It can take 2 to 6 weeks. I am a student,so i need it badly every time. If,by
    chance it takes 6 weeks,then it means that my half of the semester will be
    gone. So i felt that i m not in the condition of sending it to HP. So now i
    brought 50 feet ethetnet cable n joined it from my other room. I can connect
    to internet now,but this is not the solution of this terrible problem. But
    when i go to my college, i cannot use it, then i feel really upset. I hv no
    time to take it to any technician. Some of my friends were telling me that ur
    drivers will be corrupted. But i donot know.......... yeah one more thing,
    now the wireless indicator is orange from last 3 weeks,but 2 times, it turned
    to blue automatically ,then i removed the ethernet cable and it was catching
    the wireless signal,i donot know how. then i restarted it but it does not
    show any wireless signal again. it happened twice n at both times i got a
    message that ur broadband drivers has successfully installed. Also, I donot
    see any wireless network card under "network adaptors" in device manager. I
    hv only there one network card there "NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller".
    So plz try to tell me the required solution.I shall be very thankful to you.

    Harminder Virdi.

+ Reply to Thread