Router same brand as network card: Do I care? - Wireless

This is a discussion on Router same brand as network card: Do I care? - Wireless ; How important is it - if it is important at all - to pick a wireless router that's the same BRAND as the wireless network cards that I'm using in the client computers? Are there brands of routers that are ...

  1. Router same brand as network card: Do I care?

    How important is it - if it is important at all - to pick a wireless router
    that's the same BRAND as the wireless network cards that I'm using in the
    client computers?

    Are there brands of routers that are known to be particularly troublesome
    when mixed with networking hardware from other vendors?

    Thanks for any suggestions, or pointers to other online resources!

    -Doug

  2. Re: Router same brand as network card: Do I care?

    douglasl wrote:
    > How important is it - if it is important at all - to pick a wireless router
    > that's the same BRAND as the wireless network cards that I'm using in the
    > client computers?
    >
    > Are there brands of routers that are known to be particularly troublesome
    > when mixed with networking hardware from other vendors?
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions, or pointers to other online resources!
    >
    > -Doug

    It's not supposed to but if you are running 'N', I've heard it can be an
    issue. But I've got a built in intel wireless G card in my laptop so
    there are no routers to match me, and I've traveled and had no problem
    in hotels & airports. So in practice, I'd say that it makes little
    difference. But when I bought my PCMCIA card and router, I did buy
    Netgear for both, just in case.

  3. Re: Router same brand as network card: Do I care?

    "douglasl" wrote in message
    > How important is it - if it is important at all - to pick a wireless
    > router
    > that's the same BRAND as the wireless network cards that I'm using in the
    > client computers?
    >
    > Are there brands of routers that are known to be particularly troublesome
    > when mixed with networking hardware from other vendors?
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions, or pointers to other online resources!
    >
    > -Doug

    Main advantage is if they're different brands, you have a problem and call
    tech support, the router manufacturer will tell you it's wireless card
    issue--- and vice versa....

    If they're the same brand, then they own the problem--- though they may try
    to palm it off on your ISP or computer mfr.

  4. Re: Router same brand as network card: Do I care?

    douglasl wrote:
    > How important is it - if it is important at all - to pick a wireless router
    > that's the same BRAND as the wireless network cards that I'm using in the
    > client computers?
    >
    > Are there brands of routers that are known to be particularly troublesome
    > when mixed with networking hardware from other vendors?
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions, or pointers to other online resources!
    >
    > -Doug

    If you have an adapter or a router that is advertised as giving better
    performance than the spec (e.g., 108 Mbps for 802.11G), then -- in
    general -- you will only get any enhancement if the brands *and* model
    lines of the router and adapter are the same. For example, if you have
    a standard wireless-G router and a "108 Mbps" adapter, you'll only get
    standard wireless-G performance.

    Even though 802.11n has *still* not been ratified by the IEEE, the WiFi
    Alliance (the manufacturers' group) has a program to "certify"
    interoperability of 802.11n products of different brands. In fact, the
    WiFi certification is also supposed to "ensure that products from
    different vendors work together" for all wireless specs. See:
    http://certifications.wi-fi.org/wbcs...ts.php?lang=en

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

  5. Re: Router same brand as network card: Do I care?

    "J.H. Holliday" wrote in message

    > Main advantage is if they're different brands, you have a problem and call
    > tech support, the router manufacturer will tell you it's wireless card
    > issue--- and vice versa....

    Wait a minute... calling clueless tech support who's good at nothing but
    pointing fingers is an advantage?

  6. RE: Router same brand as network card: Do I care?

    With .n standard using a Belkin router, Trendnet adapter on one machine and
    Dell adapter on the other without any problems.

    "douglasl" wrote:

    > How important is it - if it is important at all - to pick a wireless router
    > that's the same BRAND as the wireless network cards that I'm using in the
    > client computers?
    >
    > Are there brands of routers that are known to be particularly troublesome
    > when mixed with networking hardware from other vendors?
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions, or pointers to other online resources!
    >
    > -Doug

  7. Re: Router same brand as network card: Do I care?

    Hi
    While differences of performance between Laptop's Wireless card are almost
    none existence, there is significant differences between the performance of
    Wireless Routers.
    Ergo I would nor choose a Router just because I happened to have card X in
    my laptop,
    Tell us what is the model and the make of the card and may be some one would
    come wit6h a solid recommendation.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    "douglasl" wrote in message
    > How important is it - if it is important at all - to pick a wireless
    > router
    > that's the same BRAND as the wireless network cards that I'm using in the
    > client computers?
    >
    > Are there brands of routers that are known to be particularly troublesome
    > when mixed with networking hardware from other vendors?
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions, or pointers to other online resources!
    >
    > -Doug

+ Reply to Thread