how can I config pc3? - Wireless

This is a discussion on how can I config pc3? - Wireless ; Best I describe the scenario; pc1 named as ENG with user 11 and password AA while pc2 named as OPN with user 22 and password BB When user 22 click on 'my network places, she can see:- Local network Comments ...

  1. how can I config pc3?

    Best I describe the scenario;
    pc1 named as ENG with user 11 and password AA while pc2 named as OPN with
    user 22 and password BB
    When user 22 click on 'my network places, she can see:-

    Local network Comments Computer Network location

    Downloads on ENG \\ENG\Downloads ENG Local network
    Inbox on ENG \\ENG\Inbox ENG Local network

    Now we have a new pc3, named FLD with no user names(hence no pasword), how
    can I config pc3 to see what pc2 can see?
    All 3pc's are XP Prof with same workgroup SRS. PC1/2 goes to internet via
    ehternet cable while pc3 is wireless.

    At the moment pc3 can ping pc1 and pc2 but pc1 and pc2 cannot ping pc3 (time
    out). For pc3 it only have Norton anti virus and the Windows Firewall is
    disabled.
    Hope I have furnish enough information and that you can assist, thanks

  2. RE: how can I config pc3?

    any helper please? thanks

    "quitono" wrote:

    > Best I describe the scenario;
    > pc1 named as ENG with user 11 and password AA while pc2 named as OPN with
    > user 22 and password BB
    > When user 22 click on 'my network places, she can see:-
    >
    > Local network Comments Computer Network location
    >
    > Downloads on ENG \\ENG\Downloads ENG Local network
    > Inbox on ENG \\ENG\Inbox ENG Local network
    >
    > Now we have a new pc3, named FLD with no user names(hence no pasword), how
    > can I config pc3 to see what pc2 can see?
    > All 3pc's are XP Prof with same workgroup SRS. PC1/2 goes to internet via
    > ehternet cable while pc3 is wireless.
    >
    > At the moment pc3 can ping pc1 and pc2 but pc1 and pc2 cannot ping pc3 (time
    > out). For pc3 it only have Norton anti virus and the Windows Firewall is
    > disabled.
    > Hope I have furnish enough information and that you can assist, thanks

  3. Re: how can I config pc3?

    quitono wrote:
    > Best I describe the scenario;
    > pc1 named as ENG with user 11 and password AA while pc2 named as OPN with
    > user 22 and password BB
    > When user 22 click on 'my network places, she can see:-
    >
    > Local network Comments Computer Network location
    >
    > Downloads on ENG \\ENG\Downloads ENG Local network
    > Inbox on ENG \\ENG\Inbox ENG Local network
    >
    > Now we have a new pc3, named FLD with no user names(hence no pasword), how
    > can I config pc3 to see what pc2 can see?
    > All 3pc's are XP Prof with same workgroup SRS. PC1/2 goes to internet via
    > ehternet cable while pc3 is wireless.
    >
    > At the moment pc3 can ping pc1 and pc2 but pc1 and pc2 cannot ping pc3 (time
    > out). For pc3 it only have Norton anti virus and the Windows Firewall is
    > disabled.
    > Hope I have furnish enough information and that you can assist, thanks

    There are (at least) two issues here. The reason why pc1 and pc2 cannot
    ping pc3 probably is Norton antivirus. Look in Norton a/v help for
    "Internet Worm Protection" and learn how to configure this "feature" to
    permit local network traffic. Or for Norton a/v 2007, see
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...hm&lg=en&ct=us

    Once you have dealt with that problem, you will have to set up file
    sharing between the computers. Here are some useful tips from MS-MVP Malke:

    For XP, start by running the Network Setup Wizard on all machines (see
    caveat in Item A below).

    Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally
    caused by 1) a misconfigured firewall; or 2) inadvertently running two
    firewalls such as the built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party
    firewall; and/or 3) not having identical user accounts and passwords on
    all Workgroup machines; 4) trying to create shares where the operating
    system does not permit it.

    For XP and Windows 2003 Server, MVP Hans-Georg Michna has an excellent
    small network troubleshooter. It may also be useful with Vista.

    http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

    Here are some general networking tips for home/small networks:

    A. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network
    (LAN) traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing
    File/Printer Sharing on the Exceptions tab. Normally running the Network
    Setup Wizard on XP will take care of this for those machines.The only
    "gotcha" is that this will turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you
    aren't running a third-party firewall or have an antivirus with
    "Internet Worm Protection" (like Norton 2006/07) which acts as a
    firewall, then you're fine. With third-party firewalls, I usually
    configure the LAN allowance with an IP range. Ex. would be
    subnet. Do not run more than one firewall.

    B. For ease of organization, put all computers in the same Workgroup.
    This is done from the System applet in Control Panel, Computer Name tab.

    C. Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do
    not need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the
    passwords assigned to each user account can be different; the
    accounts/passwords just need to exist and match on all machines. If you
    wish a machine to boot directly to the Desktop (into one particular
    user's account) for convenience, you can do this. The instructions at
    this link work for both XP and Vista:

    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

    D. If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center:

    1. If you need Pro's ability to set fine-grained permissions, turn off
    accounts/passwords on all computers.

    2. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the
    Simple File Sharing enabled. Simple File Sharing means that Guest
    (network) is enabled. This means that anyone without a user account on
    the target system can use its resources. This is a security hole but
    only you can decide if it matters in your situation.

    E. Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users'
    Shared Documents folder.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

  4. Re: how can I config pc3?

    Just check before Ijump into it for fear of messing what we got. Nowsince pc2
    can see whats thre in pc1 (that is

    Downloads on ENG \\ENG\Downloads ENG Local network
    Inbox on ENG \\ENG\Inbox ENG Local network

    so that means there is already a netowrk, right? If so where/how can we find
    out the network name, is it the SSID set in our router? Thanks

    "Lem" wrote:

> [...]

    > Configure Windows to Automatically Login (MVP Ramesh) -
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm
    >
    > D. If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center:
    >
    > 1. If you need Pro's ability to set fine-grained permissions, turn off
    > Simple File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab) and create identical user
    > accounts/passwords on all computers.
    >
    > 2. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the
    > Simple File Sharing enabled. Simple File Sharing means that Guest
    > (network) is enabled. This means that anyone without a user account on
    > the target system can use its resources. This is a security hole but
    > only you can decide if it matters in your situation.
    >
    > E. Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users'
    > home directories (My Documents) or Program Files, but you can share
    > folders inside those directories. A better choice is to simply use the

  5. Re: how can I config pc3?

    On Aug 11, 6:33*am, quitono wrote:
> [...]

    > > Simple File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab) and create identical user
    > > accounts/passwords on all computers.

    > > 2. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the
    > > Simple File Sharing enabled. Simple File Sharing means that Guest
    > > (network) is enabled. This means that anyone without a user account on
    > > the target system can use its resources. This is a security hole but
    > > only you can decide if it matters in your situation.

    > > E. Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users'
    > > home directories (My Documents) or Program Files, but you can share
    > > folders inside those directories. A better choice is to simply use the
    > > Shared Documents folder.

    > > --
    > > Lem -- MS-MVP

    > > To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.

    SSID is set in the router and must not the the router's default.

    Check the Norton A/V "Internet Worm" module so that the "NetBIOS name
    resolution" will be permitted over the local network.

    Check the "other" software for a firewall module and check to see if
    the SSID is entered into the software;s permitted network access.

  6. Re: how can I config pc3?

    quitono wrote:
    > Just check before Ijump into it for fear of messing what we got. Nowsince pc2
    > can see whats thre in pc1 (that is
    >
    > Downloads on ENG \\ENG\Downloads ENG Local network
    > Inbox on ENG \\ENG\Inbox ENG Local network
    >
    > so that means there is already a netowrk, right? If so where/how can we find
    > out the network name, is it the SSID set in our router? Thanks

    If all 3 computers share one Internet connection, they are networked. If
    pc2 can see some of the files in pc1, that means that you have
    successfully shared those resources between those two computers. The
    "network name" of the wireless portion of that network is the SSID that
    you set in the router.
    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

  7. Re: how can I config pc3?

    Now all the 3 pc's can ping each other.

    After I run the network wizard on pc3 and under "my network place' I can see
    SharedDocs on FLD \\FLD\SharedDocs FLD Local network

    (When I run the wizard on pc3, it says that the ethernet card is not in the
    network which I put a 'check" on the box to ignore it, is that correct?)

    Similarily when I run the wizard on pc2, I can see under 'my network place"

    Downloads on ENG \\ENG\Downloads ENG Local network
    Inbox on ENG \\ENG\Inbox ENG Local network

    SharedDocs on FLD \\FLD\SharedDocs FLD Local network

    FYI "Downloads" and "Inbox" are in the E drive of ENG and they are shared
    (have hand logo).
    So where did I go wrong and how can I make pc3 see what pc2 see under "my
    network place". Many thanks for your time and regards-

    "Lem" wrote:

    > quitono wrote:
    > > Just check before Ijump into it for fear of messing what we got. Nowsince pc2
    > > can see whats thre in pc1 (that is
    > >
    > > Downloads on ENG \\ENG\Downloads ENG Local network
    > > Inbox on ENG \\ENG\Inbox ENG Local network
    > >
    > > so that means there is already a netowrk, right? If so where/how can we find
    > > out the network name, is it the SSID set in our router? Thanks
    > >

    > If all 3 computers share one Internet connection, they are networked. If
    > pc2 can see some of the files in pc1, that means that you have
    > successfully shared those resources between those two computers. The
    > "network name" of the wireless portion of that network is the SSID that
    > you set in the router.
    > --
    > Lem -- MS-MVP

  8. Re: how can I config pc3?

    quitono wrote:
    > Now all the 3 pc's can ping each other.
    >
    > After I run the network wizard on pc3 and under "my network place' I can see
    > SharedDocs on FLD \\FLD\SharedDocs FLD Local network
    >
    > (When I run the wizard on pc3, it says that the ethernet card is not in the
    > network which I put a 'check" on the box to ignore it, is that correct?)
    >
    > Similarily when I run the wizard on pc2, I can see under 'my network place"
    >
    > Downloads on ENG \\ENG\Downloads ENG Local network
    > Inbox on ENG \\ENG\Inbox ENG Local network
    >
    > SharedDocs on FLD \\FLD\SharedDocs FLD Local network
    >
    > FYI "Downloads" and "Inbox" are in the E drive of ENG and they are shared
    > (have hand logo).
    > So where did I go wrong and how can I make pc3 see what pc2 see under "my
    > network place". Many thanks for your time and regards-
    >

    > "Lem" wrote:
    >
    >> quitono wrote:
    >>> Just check before Ijump into it for fear of messing what we got. Nowsince pc2
    >>> can see whats thre in pc1 (that is
    >>>
    >>> Downloads on ENG \\ENG\Downloads ENG Local network
    >>> Inbox on ENG \\ENG\Inbox ENG Local network
    >>>
    >>> so that means there is already a netowrk, right? If so where/how can we find
    >>> out the network name, is it the SSID set in our router? Thanks
    >>>

    >> If all 3 computers share one Internet connection, they are networked. If
    >> pc2 can see some of the files in pc1, that means that you have
    >> successfully shared those resources between those two computers. The
    >> "network name" of the wireless portion of that network is the SSID that
    >> you set in the router.
    >> --
    >> Lem -- MS-MVP
    >>
    >> To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.
    >> http://history.nasa.gov/afj/compessay.htm

    This

    > (When I run the wizard on pc3, it says that the ethernet card is not

    in the network which I put a 'check" on the box to ignore it, is that
    correct?)

    does not seem correct. At what point in the Wizard did this message pop up?

    On the other hand, it seems as if pc3 is connected to the network. What
    happens if you go to Start > Run and type

    \\FLD\SharedDocs [press Enter]

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP