dumb questions - Wireless

This is a discussion on dumb questions - Wireless ; 1. I have a desktop with XP home edition. It is connected to a FIOS modem/router. My laptop connects wirelessly to the internet via the FIOS modem. It has Vista on it. Can I set up a local network where ...

  1. dumb questions

    1. I have a desktop with XP home edition. It is connected to a FIOS
    modem/router.

    My laptop connects wirelessly to the internet via the FIOS modem. It has
    Vista on it.

    Can I set up a local network where I can look at one computer or the other
    with 2 different operting sytems?

    2. Where can I find some easy to understand info on setting up a local
    network.

    I can't keep up with it. I started with DOS as a user only, and have always
    been 1 or 2 steps beind ever since

  2. Re: dumb questions

    Hi
    In order to share an Internet connection and create a local network between
    few computers (Wire or Wirelessly ) you need a device called Wireless
    Router. This device connects to the Modem and the computers are connected to
    it.
    Basically it looks like this, http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg
    Once few computers are connected to a Router you configure them to share,
    and you would have a local network too.
    Since you are connected with Wireless to the FIOS it might be that your
    Modem is actually a combo Modem/Router.
    You can find info about your device by online searching using it's name and
    model number. You probably will find a manual too that would explain how to
    configure it.
    As for LAN Sharing.
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    allowed to be shared.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Windows XP File Sharing -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "fkosmakos" wrote in message
    > 1. I have a desktop with XP home edition. It is connected to a FIOS
    > modem/router.
    >
    > My laptop connects wirelessly to the internet via the FIOS modem. It has
    > Vista on it.
    >
    > Can I set up a local network where I can look at one computer or the other
    > with 2 different operting sytems?
    >
    > 2. Where can I find some easy to understand info on setting up a local
    > network.
    >
    > I can't keep up with it. I started with DOS as a user only, and have
    > always
    > been 1 or 2 steps beind ever since

  3. Re: dumb questions

    Thanks Jack. The FIOS modem is also a wireless router. They do it so the tv
    schedules can be sent to all of the set top boxes wirelessly. I guess I have
    some reading to do. Thanks again

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > In order to share an Internet connection and create a local network between
    > few computers (Wire or Wirelessly ) you need a device called Wireless
    > Router. This device connects to the Modem and the computers are connected to
    > it.
    > Basically it looks like this, http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg
    > Once few computers are connected to a Router you configure them to share,
    > and you would have a local network too.
    > Since you are connected with Wireless to the FIOS it might be that your
    > Modem is actually a combo Modem/Router.
    > You can find info about your device by online searching using it's name and
    > model number. You probably will find a manual too that would explain how to
    > configure it.
    > As for LAN Sharing.
    > http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    > allowed to be shared.
    > Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    > Windows XP File Sharing -
    > Printer Sharing XP -
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >

    > "fkosmakos" wrote in message
    > > 1. I have a desktop with XP home edition. It is connected to a FIOS
    > > modem/router.
    > >
    > > My laptop connects wirelessly to the internet via the FIOS modem. It has
    > > Vista on it.
    > >
    > > Can I set up a local network where I can look at one computer or the other
    > > with 2 different operting sytems?
    > >
    > > 2. Where can I find some easy to understand info on setting up a local
    > > network.
    > >
    > > I can't keep up with it. I started with DOS as a user only, and have
    > > always
    > > been 1 or 2 steps beind ever since

  4. Re: dumb questions

    Hi
    Ok, you have already a Local Network.
    Set the computers (it is the same process for both wire or wireless) as
    explained in the latter part of my previous post.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    "fkosmakos" wrote in message
    > Thanks Jack. The FIOS modem is also a wireless router. They do it so the
    > tv
    > schedules can be sent to all of the set top boxes wirelessly. I guess I
    > have
    > some reading to do. Thanks again
    >
    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> In order to share an Internet connection and create a local network
    >> between
    >> few computers (Wire or Wirelessly ) you need a device called Wireless
    >> Router. This device connects to the Modem and the computers are connected
    >> it.
    >> Basically it looks like this, http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg
    >> Once few computers are connected to a Router you configure them to share,
    >> and you would have a local network too.
    >> Since you are connected with Wireless to the FIOS it might be that your
    >> Modem is actually a combo Modem/Router.
    >> You can find info about your device by online searching using it's name
    >> and
    >> model number. You probably will find a manual too that would explain how
    >> configure it.
    >> As for LAN Sharing.
    >> Successful Sharing involves some general consideration in Network
    >> settings,
    >> http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    >> As well as specific adjustment of each computer according to what it is
    >> allowed to be shared.
    >> Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    >> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx
    >> Windows XP File Sharing -
    >> Printer Sharing XP -
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...utt_july2.mspx
    >> Windows Native Firewall setting for Sharing XP -
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    >> Windows XP patch for Sharing with Vista -
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>

    >> "fkosmakos" wrote in message
    >> > 1. I have a desktop with XP home edition. It is connected to a FIOS
    >> > modem/router.
    >> >
    >> > My laptop connects wirelessly to the internet via the FIOS modem. It
    >> > has
    >> > Vista on it.
    >> >
    >> > Can I set up a local network where I can look at one computer or the
    >> > other
    >> > with 2 different operting sytems?
    >> >
    >> > 2. Where can I find some easy to understand info on setting up a local
    >> > network.
    >> >
    >> > I can't keep up with it. I started with DOS as a user only, and have
    >> > always
    >> > been 1 or 2 steps beind ever since

  5. Re: dumb questions

    "fkosmakos" wrote in message
    > 1. I have a desktop with XP home edition. It is connected to a FIOS
    > modem/router.
    >
    > My laptop connects wirelessly to the internet via the FIOS modem. It has
    > Vista on it.
    >
    > Can I set up a local network where I can look at one computer or the other
    > with 2 different operting sytems?
    >
    > 2. Where can I find some easy to understand info on setting up a local
    > network.
    >
    > I can't keep up with it. I started with DOS as a user only, and have
    > always
    > been 1 or 2 steps beind ever since

    Networking is indeed a very complex thing, wireless even more so,
    it keeps changing too fast, and life is too short to read all these manuals.

    This is not a reason to suffer and stay frustrated,
    find a local service to set up the network for you -
    exactly as you would do to fix a car or fridge.

    --PA

+ Reply to Thread